do you need a receiver with a marantz 1060?

bluehuricane

• Members

about to graduate college and gonna finally get myself a record player and start collecting, i was thinking the marantz 1060 would be the way to go for the amp, but do i need anything more than just the marantz, speakers, and turntable? i really am a newb when it comes to hifi and phonographs

• Members

Good luck! Get decent speakers too if you can-they make a big difference. (No need to break the bank, though) I got started really collecting about 3 years ago and ended up buying a Marantz 2230 to listen to it with-has been an awesome hobby...

The 1060 is not a (radio) receiver, but it is an amplifier with multiple input source selection capabilities. It has all the switching functions of a typical stereo receiver, except the radio itself. You can connect a pair of passive (unpowered) speakers to it, a turntable, tape deck, etc. With the right adapter cable, you can hook up your iPod to it if you wanted to.

• Members

Turntable- Most important part is the cartridge/stylus. I see so many young people these days getting into vinyl & playing them on {censored} turntables. A crappy stylus will eat your vinyl. It's not like a CD player that has no contact with the disc. Bad needles will dig at the grooves & you will lose fidelity.
Also make sure the turntable has weight adjustment for the arm and match it with the cartridge recommendation.
Have fun!

Archived