MIDI pickup for bass synth: Roland GK3?

arcadesonfire

• Members

I've been using an OC-3 to send out a bass signal, using the polyphonic mode so that it only sends low notes to the bass octaver, but i'm sick of the tracking on it. I also saw the band Chairlift on Monday and I was inspired by the guitarist's Roland synth. When listening to their latest album, i didn't even guess it was a guitar synth!

So, I'm thinking of using a midi pickup to change my E and A strings to midi and then use a synth to generate some fat bass sounds.

How much do you think it will cost me to pull this off decently?

Am i right that even if i bought a GK3 pickup and installed it, I would still need something else to actually track the GK3 signals and change them to midi notes? Or does the pickup have a midi converter inside it?

What if I bought a cheapo old Roland guit synth, like a GR-09, would it do a good job of converting to midi that I could then send to a decent synth?

• Members

I think you need something like the newer GR-20 which goes from 13 pin - from guitar midi pickup out>to the 13 Pin IN on the device pedal. And from there you can go Midi out (regular midi cable) to whatever device you want to trigger.

Not sure if the GR-09 does that, but if it does, it should work.

Archived