What do you guys think about refurbished gear?

Josh33

• Members

echoing the sentiment of others:

The amount of attention and 'quality effort' put into a refurb device will, all things being equal, be inversely proportional to the size of the company.

A large company will put very time/effort/technical-knowledge little into a refurb. It's all about the bottom line.

A tiny 1-4 person outfit will put in more; they are interested in salvaging anything they can, including their reputation.

And to echo amp_surgeon's cautionary tale of the automated test, I've seen a proposed ATE setup that would have absolutely overlooked 2 seriously bad noise issues due to the manner in which the unit was grounded. Simply put, the test rig did not mimic the actual final product. Flaky units passed ATE, but the final product could be unacceptable. This was specifically a noise-issue, which is one of the biggest resons why people return a piece of audio electronics.

Technicians, generally, do not have golden ears (I worked with a lot of them in both the musical biz and in medical electronics) and the techs just do not have the training, the ear, or the knowledge (neither do many EE's, but that's just an extension of the same ol' story).

I wouldn't want a refurb, personally, because I believe there's a significant chance that the original issue still remains an issue.

• Members

echoing the sentiment of others:

The amount of attention and 'quality effort' put into a refurb device will, all things being equal, be inversely proportional to the size of the company.

A large company will put very time/effort/technical-knowledge little into a refurb. It's all about the bottom line.

A tiny 1-4 person outfit will put in more; they are interested in salvaging anything they can, including their reputation.

And to echo amp_surgeon's cautionary tale of the automated test, I've seen a proposed ATE setup that would have absolutely overlooked 2 seriously bad noise issues due to the manner in which the unit was grounded. Simply put, the test rig did not mimic the actual final product. Flaky units passed ATE, but the final product could be unacceptable. This was specifically a noise-issue, which is one of the biggest resons why people return a piece of audio electronics.

Technicians, generally, do not have golden ears (I worked with a lot of them in both the musical biz and in medical electronics) and the techs just do not have the training, the ear, or the knowledge (neither do many EE's, but that's just an extension of the same ol' story).

I wouldn't want a refurb, personally, because I believe there's a significant chance that the original issue still remains an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh33

View Post

interesting ideas fellas. The unit im looking at comes from an authorized dealer and has a 1 year warranty with it.. Cant really see a bad side if i can save a couple of bucks. It's not like i would be using it everyday to make a living so if it breaks and i have to send it out, it wouldnt be a big issue.

The last two Apple computers I've purchased have been refurbished. I couldn't see anything about either one that suggested that they were anything other than brand new computers, and I saved considerable money. Both had full warranties too.

Bottom line - if the vendor / dealer is reputable, and the gear carries a full warranty and can be returned / exchanged within a month or so if you don't like it, I see no reason not to go with refurbished gear when it's available.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh33

View Post

interesting ideas fellas. The unit im looking at comes from an authorized dealer and has a 1 year warranty with it.. Cant really see a bad side if i can save a couple of bucks. It's not like i would be using it everyday to make a living so if it breaks and i have to send it out, it wouldnt be a big issue.

The last two Apple computers I've purchased have been refurbished. I couldn't see anything about either one that suggested that they were anything other than brand new computers, and I saved considerable money. Both had full warranties too.

Bottom line - if the vendor / dealer is reputable, and the gear carries a full warranty and can be returned / exchanged within a month or so if you don't like it, I see no reason not to go with refurbished gear when it's available.

Archived