DI Boxes - H&K Red Box, JetDirect etc...

Johansolo

• Members

I've got an old Red Box (passive kind) that I keep under my pedalboard as a safety net in case my amp would suddenly die. If I run it at line level and the sound guy EQs the high-end up a bit, it sounds good enough for an emergency.

I've also run it in a variety of ways for recording, usually to grab another sound for double-tracking. I like the sound of a miked cab better, but it's a good tool for fixing problems and adding options.

• Members

You might also consider the Palmer PDI-09 which is similar to the Red Box. I used the Red Box a long time ago and it worked well. I also run my amps into the THD set to load and use cab IR's as well. Make sure that you get something with an isolation transformer or ground lift as you will probably get a fair amount of hum without it.

• Members

I have a red box which is a great little tool and sounds way more natural than the line out of your hotplate.
For the price you pay, it's a great unit to have but you will still need to make sure you run it in a way that you can do silent recording. I've never tried it like that. It still is a great piece of unit for less than 90 bucks.
The palmer pga04 is the top of the line one which is awesome but that's def up higher!

• Members

well...a used mkIII redbox has popped up locally (is this fate?)
ill prob jump on it...it has a line in and and speaker in so i figure i have a lot of options to take a signal from (line out from hotplate (post power amp) or my time factor which is in the amps fx loop (pre power amp) as well.

i was hoping to pick up the classic thou...anyone know of any differences between the MKIII and classic?

• Members

ended up grabbing the Red Box MKIII...
first fire up ive tried is straight out the line out of my THD hotplate into the redbox line in and its rocking.
blended with an actual mic'd up signal really gives the best of both direct clarity and room ambience....

will have to try and compare the other methods hooking up. so far quite impressed.

Archived