My MC-404 NOT so "true bypass"

• Members

Need some ideas guys. I'm pretty much a minimalist when it comes to FX but there are the necessities, reverb (through fx loop) and a Wah (direct in)

Picked up a MC-404 and it is amazing while on! But as soon as I click it off/bypass it kills the top end + harmonics, shimmer, and chime. Strings sound dead... When it's removed physically it issue is gone. Cables are also not the issue.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem ???

Thanks for any help

• Members

wow...the second thread in a row:

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/category-s/165.htm

This is Jack Deville's CLT (clickless true bypass) system.

He licensed it to Mammouth.

OOOPS:

in the spirit of Fair Disclosure, I must state that I have met Jack once in a dark bar and gave him a jar of pickles..that probably makes me some sort of Minion of the Deville.

• Members

Dunlop's website on the MC-404 states: 

" ....

The MC404 boasts true hardwire bypass, a long-life CTS potentiometer, and internal pots for "Q" and gain adjustments."

I'm pretty sure the "true hardwire bypass" is the same ol' crummy input-is-always-connected bypass which dunlop wahs have had from day one. Which (tone) sucks and shows that Dunlop/MXR still doesn't get it. especially since this is supposed to be their boutique-beater version. :catmad: 

• Members

So far, looked at the Deville circuit. looks like an option though the instructions to install aren't real great. Also found out the MC404 is actually a Rev E circuit Dunlop was using in 1990 and soon moved on... Modding it looks like a hassle but may be the best option.

True bypass pedal is an option but then that adds another pedal and the possible need for a buffer out front of that... Yeah, ummm NO.

Read somewhere about an easy fix for newer Crybaby Wah by removing resistors R41 and R42

Though that doesn't work for this...

Anyone got a clue on something simple like that for this one???

Archived