Yamaha SA-30T Hollowbody has landed!

Gearhunter

• Members

Oh yea,I have'nt been this stoked over a guitar in awhile. :love:

Familyshot005.jpg

As the thread title say's,this is a Yamaha SA-30T made in the late 60's early 70's.Has two great sounding pickups that I'm guessing are Yamaha's take on the mini-humbucker or filter-trons,they sound kinda single coilish yet don't have the 60 cycle hum.It has a master Volume,Tone,and a Blender knob which is kinda cool and adds quite a variety of sounds,also a 3-way pup selector and Yamaha's Bigsby style tremolo.

Unplugged,this is one resonant bastard,plugged in,this thing is pretty cool sounding clean, and the pups take to pedals very well.

This completes my quiver of guitars,...for now.

Thanks again Wilbo for the GAS for this thing,well worth checking out if you can get your mitts on one.

More pics:

Familyshot003.jpg

Familyshot004.jpg

• Members

Yes,it's built solid,but is fairly light,weighs in at a mere 7 pounds.

The body has more flame than I was expecting,and the neck is straight with very little fret wear.I was able to set it up with fairly low action with no buzz.The pickups are strong,more output than Strat pup's but less than p-90's.

• Members

Originally posted by Gearhunter

Yes,it's built solid,but is fairly light,weighs in at a mere 7 pounds.

The body has more flame than I was expecting,and the neck is straight with very little fret wear.I was able to set it up with fairly low action with no buzz.The pickups are strong,more output than Strat pup's but less than p-90's.

Japan knew how to do flame right in the 60s.

none of that over the top special fx PRS baloney.

just nice natural flair. several Arias are like that too.

that's a nice one!

:thu:

what kind of neck?

looks relatively thin.

• Members

The neck is not to thin,thickness wise,but it's nut width
:freak:
is not as wide as usual.It does have a zero fret,and came with the pretty classy original case.

sa30.jpg

that's a sexy photo right there.

i love zero frets. perfect for trem-equipped guitars!

• Members

Yeah that case completes an awesome score right there. :love:

After further review mine has about the same amount of output as most of my other SC electrics, so maybe they are the same. Damn I may have to keep SA-30 gas under control here before too long. And yours was cheaper than mine. :cry:

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

that's a sexy photo right there.

i love zero frets. perfect for trem-equipped guitars!

Yea,that pic made me put it in my "Watched Items" on eBay.:love:

The bridge has roller type thingamabobs on each saddle that the strings lay on,another thing perfect for trem-equipped guitars!

• Members

Congrats with a nice guitar!

A friend of mine got a SA-30T a couple of weeks ago. If he prefer the 80`s Tokai lawsuit Les Paul he`s getting the Yammie might be sold. He paid about 480US + shipping for it.

But do I need another guitar ..........

:freak:

• Members

Yea,that pic made me put it in my "Watched Items" on eBay.
:love:

The bridge has roller type thingamabobs on each saddle that the strings lay on,another thing perfect for trem-equipped guitars!

indeedy.

that's what i have on my Eastwood and it'll getter done.

did i just say that?

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Yeah that case completes an awesome score right there.
:love:

Damn I may have to keep SA-30 gas under control here before too long. And yours was cheaper than mine.
:cry:

I did have to do a little wiring work ,3 hours worth give or take till I figured out the problem.(That called for a friggin Happy Dance.):D.

And the original metal jack plate is gonzo, replaced with a pickguard material replacement.I'll either have another metal one fabricated,or make one out of some nice wood.

He mentiontiond these problems in his listing,which is probably why the price stayed low.

Yours is just as sweet. :wave:

• Members

I did have to do a little wiring work ,3 hours worth give or take till I figured out the problem.(That called for a friggin Happy Dance.)
:D

And the original metal jack plate is gonzo, replaced with a pickguard material replacement.I'll either have another metal one fabricated,or make one out of some nice wood.

He mentiontiond these problems in his listing,which is probably why the price stayed low.

Yours is just as sweet.
:wave:

The toggle switch on mine is acting up, as is the input jack so I'm going to have to dive in and troubleshoot as well. Not looking forward to that. But I've never seen any SA guitars in person until I got this one so I suppose its worth it to deal with the unknowns that come with Ebay auctions.

Archived