Keyboards

ElectricPuppy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
X-Station 61 actually looks good.

novation-xstation61.jpg

I just hate that Novation stopped making awesome synths like the Supernova and is instead just doing entry-level synths.

I think the controls look too compressed on 61 considering the amount of space available ... Of course, you can use that space to load up on toys ...

• Members

AK ... Why do you want an X-Station ... ???

Few reasons:

1. Wanna improve synth skillz w/ help of more knobbage

2. Don't wanna spend too much on it

3. Wanna start playing around with software instruments...USB connectivity makes a MIDI interface unncessary

4. Key feel is important to me, and from what I hear, X Station has a good action

• Members
Then why does my Fusion not sound like a Minimoog? I have 600Mb of Minimoog samples in it
:mad:

LULZ

You keep saying that a SAMPLE of an analogue synthesizer won't sound like an analogue synth. However, a sample of a sample-based sound would sound closer to the original (in theory) than the above.

• Members

You keep saying that a SAMPLE of an analogue synthesizer won't sound like an analogue synth. However, a sample of a sample-based sound would sound closer to the original (in theory) than the above.

D-50 isn't sample-based per se.

The samples in the D-50 are called "partials". They go on top of a sound that is actually produced by a synth engine. Technically speaking, they only provide the "attack" of the note that is played.

Another characteristic of those partials is that they reportedly lack the fundamental, and only have the harmonics of the note (the fundamental is played by the synthesizer). This makes the D-50 sounds extremely crisp and alive and there is absolutely nothing in the market that can compare to it, because nothing else ever made has that characteristic of adding low-bit, fundamental-less ROM-based partials to virtual analog synth sounds.

• Members
D-50 isn't sample-based per se.

The samples in the D-50 are called "partials". They go on top of a sound that is actually produced by a synth engine. Technically speaking, they only provide the "attack" of the note that is played.

Another characteristic of those partials is that they reportedly lack the fundamental, and only have the harmonics of the note (the fundamental is played by the synthesizer). This makes the D-50 sounds extremely crisp and alive and there is absolutely nothing in the market that can compare to it, because nothing else ever made has that characteristic of adding low-bit, fundamental-less ROM-based partials to virtual analog synth sounds.

Thank you Dr. Wiki. :thu:

I still think my reasoning is sound.

• Members

I think the controls look too compressed on 61 considering the amount of space available ... Of course, you can use that space to load up on toys ...

based on my 'short' experience with xstation, it really does sound thin. It can sound digital cold suitable for dance. But cold can be fat too, which xstation cannot do

• Members

Not a big fan of programming the X-Station ... knobs are kind of small, hard to read the black lettering on dark silver ... A little too much menu diving ... and I don't particularly like the way it sounds often during real-time editing ...

That said, the keybed is very nice and so is its implementation of aftertouch ... the audio interface is nice and it can run off USB power or batteries ... the overall synth tone is nice ...

I disagree that it can't sound fat ... I've found it plenty obese on occasions ... It can also be fairly smooth ... For example, I've gotten some of the best sine wave leads out of it ...

Ultimately, it's a very good controller with a built-in synth engine to help complement a softsynth situation or when you've got nothing else ... It's VA is better than some, imo, and as good as many ...

• Members

based on my 'short' experience with xstation, it really does sound thin. It can sound digital cold suitable for dance. But cold can be fat too, which xstation cannot do

You must have had the only X-station that sounds thin. Please send it back to get it fixed.

Perhaps your short experience didn't actually involve learning how to program it to sound good. So what exactly did you try to get a thick sound? Did you just try the presets? What monitors/headphones were you using? There's got to be an explanation, because I can assure you, the hardware's not the problem (if it's all working right).

Archived