\ThE NoiZe LoUnGe///: HeLL, AnarChY, anD, the UnConVenTionaL UsE of EffeKtS

ck3

• Members
Originally posted by Tecx

It does... I owned one for a while... Quite good...

Alex

ps. if you get a 30" baritone, I WILL KILL YOU!!!
:(

hellcat_vi_blk.jpg

Uh, oh ... I'd better get a bodyguard. :eek:

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

YOUR ASS IS GRASS MISTER!!! GAH! I have wanted a hellcat IV for MONTHS!!! MOOOONTHS!!!! I want a sunburst one though... And I am going to mod it for single coils...

Alex

Originally posted by ck3

Uh, oh ... I'd better get a bodyguard.
:eek:

• Members

YOUR ASS IS GRASS MISTER!!! GAH! I have wanted a hellcat IV for MONTHS!!! MOOOONTHS!!!! I want a sunburst one though... And I am going to mod it for single coils...

Alex

I've been after one for quite some time as well, and can attest to fairly positive experiences with my current and previous Schecters (one of which was an original Hellcat) ... but my finances won't permit investing in one until the effects portion of my rig is complete ... for some odd reason, I now place a higher priority on processing than instrumentation.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by desertlimosine

awesome!

I also picked up a Bitrman.. so many cool sounds. I have it hooked up with the Philtre, on top of my keyboard.

Are these units connected via their "modlink" ports or entirely with cables? I'm curious becuase I encountered unwanted noise when I had a Faze and Philtre "modlinked".

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

Are these units connected via their "modlink" ports or entirely with cables? I'm curious becuase I encountered unwanted noise when I had a Faze and Philtre "modlinked".

+1

Actually, my modlinks (between my Bitrman and Philtre) never worked at all in any configuration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
GlitchComputer.jpg

Ever since the point that I invested in an FX Doctor 8-Bit fuzz last year, I was considering the purchase of a Mid-Fi Electronics Glitch Computer. Thanks in large part to a serendipitous twist of fate, I was finally able to score one at a slightly-reduced price.

Imagine, if you will, an MXR Blue box getting violently gang raped by a DOD Buzz Box and a Zvex Fuzz Factory and then giving birth to an illegitimate child with schizophrenia and anger issues. The Glitch Computer is that child, and it shows no mercy to whatever follows it in a signal chain.

With its excruciatingly amped output level, the Glitch Computer's other extreme aspects are even more audbile. It is capable of dishing out glorious noise in just about any of its modes, both octave and non-octave. The fuzz textures are very synthy, square, and gated and are perfectly suited for a number of creative applications. The octave's tracking is sometimes difficult to judge, but can be better honed with a neck humbucker. Half of the fun of this pedal is actually the octave arpeggiation, which can vary from simple hiccups to insane telegraph transmissions.

The only concern I have about the pedal is that it does not have an LED. I had read other reviews and realized that this was going to be the case, so I wasn't unpleasantly surprised. However, given that this is a very glitchy, crazy, etc. pedal to begin with, it will be difficult to know when the battery is going.

All in all Doug from Mid-Fi did a decent job on this little octo-beast. The wiring looks solid, the side-mounted knobs are a nice touch, and the label's artistic motif is unique and twisted. If anyone else has been disappointed by the MXR Blue Box's (stock) lack of volume or DOD Buzz Box's one (and a half or so)pony trick(s), the Mid-Fi Electronics Glitch Computer may be the next logical step for you.

Click here for Mid-Fi Electronics Glitch Computer clips

• Members
ModdedVFMHarshOrange.jpg

I acquired this pedal through a trade with Devi Ever (of Effector 13 fame). I previously owned a Noise Floor, which was a bit too nutty for my intents and purposes and was, thankfully, able to exchange it for this pedal.

A stock Effector 13 VFM Harsh (and the normal mode on this pedal) provides oodles of subtle to slightly-pronounced octave up fuzziness. The overall tone of the pedal varies in concordance with the position of the 'intensity' knob. When it is turned completely counterclockwise, the harmonic response of the fuzz is more stable, but as the dial proceeds in a clockwise direction, the noisy 'Effector 13 fuzz love' begins. Basically, it is possible to get anything from moderate torn-speaker-type tones to all-out spitty static.

The two extra modes on my VFM add another degree of versatility. The 'hiss' switch allows for more of a raw, crackly texture and creates subtle self-oscillation, so arpeggiated glitches become a possibility. The 'noise' mode is a bit less wieldy, yielding sputters, farts, volume squelches/swells, and other rhythmic oddities, but is still usable.

The build quality of my Modded VFM seems top notch. The only real issue I have encountered pertains to powering the pedal. When I have used the DC jack, there has been some additional noise, which is interesting in 'hiss' and 'noise' modes, but limits the extent to which I can use the normal one. I have been using a battery, but there is still some subtle self-oscillation in the aforementioned modes. I have found this anomoly to be useful to a certain extent, though I would prefer to have a non-oscillating 'hiss' mode at times.

Overall, in spite of a few minor faults, I am satisfied with this fuzz. It interacts well with both guitars and synths. The (stock) Effector 13 VFM Harsh is a great option for anyone looking to get a unique, messy fuzz with variable upper octave character.

Click here for Modded Effector 13 VFM Harsh clips

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

ModdedVFMHarshOrange.jpg

I acquired this pedal through a trade with Devi Ever (of Effector 13 fame). I previously owned a Noise Floor, which was a bit too nutty for my intents and purposes and was, thankfully, able to exchange it for this pedal.

A stock Effector 13 VFM Harsh (and the normal mode on this pedal) provides oodles of subtle to slightly-pronounced octave up fuzziness. The overall tone of the pedal varies in concordance with the position of the 'intensity' knob. When it is turned completely counterclockwise, the harmonic response of the fuzz is more stable, but as the dial proceeds in a clockwise direction, the noisy 'Effector 13 fuzz love' begins. Basically, it is possible to get anything from moderate torn-speaker-type tones to all-out spitty static.

The two extra modes on my VFM add another degree of versatility. The 'hiss' switch allows for more of a raw, crackly texture and creates subtle self-oscillation, so arpeggiated glitches become a possibility. The 'noise' mode is a bit less wieldy, yielding sputters, farts, volume squelches/swells, and other rhythmic oddities, but is still usable.

The build quality of my Modded VFM seems top notch. The only real issue I have encountered pertains to powering the pedal. When I have used the DC jack, there has been some additional noise, which is interesting in 'hiss' and 'noise' modes, but limits the extent to which I can use the normal one. I have been using a battery, but there is still some subtle self-oscillation in the aforementioned modes. I have found this anomoly to be useful to a certain extent, though I would prefer to have a non-oscillating 'hiss' mode at times.

Overall, in spite of a few minor faults, I am satisfied with this fuzz. It interacts well with both guitars and synths. The (stock) Effector 13 VFM Harsh is a great option for anyone looking to get a unique, messy fuzz with variable upper octave character.

Click here for Modded Effector 13 VFM Harsh clips

those clips are awsome. it may be time for me to actually own an E13 pedal

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

those clips are awsome. it may be time for me to actually own an E13 pedal

The three I have owned have been pretty interesting, albiet a bit unpredictable at times. Still, I enjoy the characteristic spittiness of Devi's fuzzes. They definitely have a distinct character.

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

The frostwave also tempted me for awhile ... but the absence of a bypass switch has served as a deterrant to me investing in one ... even in my TB loop, it would always have to be active with the other effects. I really wish that the builder would consider releasing an alternate version.

Thanks for the complement regarding the Clone Theory clips ... it is probably the first chorus with which I feel a symbiotic bond ... hence my hesitance to let it go. I should probably hang onto it until I finally get a baritone VI-type guitar, as it probably sounds amazing with bass.

...get another BP loop?

• Members

It does... I owned one for a while... Quite good...

Alex

ps. if you get a 30" baritone, I WILL KILL YOU!!!

I've got a BC Rich on order.
Kill me after I get it fully set up.
Which will inolve adding a second(middle) humbucker if it's like the pics on the site and not the spec they originally sent out the the dealer I ordered it through.

• Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

...get another BP loop?

I should have another one coming soon, but I'm pretty satisfied with the Decimator on my Bitrman for guitar and the one on my Ineko for drum and synth sequences.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My Uglyface was a couple of months in the making. In the period in which it was assembled, it was passed between two builders. I am grateful (after the fact) that the original builder was cool enough to network with other

• Members

OHHHHHHH YOU BASTARD!!! Where do I get one???

Originally posted by ck3

My Uglyface was a couple of months in the making. In the period in which it was assembled, it was passed between two builders. I am grateful (after the fact) that the original builder was cool enough to network with other

• Members

OHHHHHHH YOU BASTARD!!! Where do I get one???

Uglyfaces are exclusively DIY at the moment ... and there haven't been too many built like mine to date. :(

You would probably want to contact PB Wilson or Shecky (Tim Escobedo, the original designer) to have one built for you ... or, if you have the soldering chops, there are a couple of schematics online.

The closest mass-produced equivalent would be the Studio Electronics Wolftone Chaos pedal ... or, if you want to go boutique, maybe the Crowther Prunes and Custard?

• Members

Had a P&C, not enough chaos... I have been looking at the chaos though... You need not school me on such things... ;)

Originally posted by ck3

Uglyfaces are exclusively DIY at the moment ... and there haven't been too many built like mine to date.

You would probably want to contact PB Wilson or Shecky (Tim Escobedo, the original designer) to have one built for you ... or, if you have the soldering chops, there are a couple of schematics online.

The closest mass-produced equivalent would be the Studio Electronics Wolftone Chaos pedal ... or, if you want to go boutique, maybe the Crowther Prunes and Custard?

• Members

Had a P&C, not enough chaos... I have been looking at the chaos though... You need not school me on such things...
;)

I figured that I would include that little tidbit for "other interested parties". :p;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived