New Guitar Day Tripple Play

Player99

• Members

I got 3 new guitars.

A cherry burst Gibson ES-137

A Gibson ES-335

A Custom Jazz guitar with Lolar Imperial Low Wind pickups.

The Gibsons are used but never played. The Custom built guitar is probably the nicest sounding guitar I have heard. Beats the Gibsons.

Player99 wrote:

I got 3 new guitars.

A cherry burst Gibson ES-137

A Gibson ES-335

A Custom Jazz guitar with Lolar Imperial Low Wind pickups.

The Gibsons are used but never played. The Custom built guitar is probably the nicest sounding guitar I have heard. Beats the Gibsons.

Did Hiwatt Bob hijack your account? ;)

Seriously - congrats on the new guitars! Got any pictures? :)

• Members

Not yet...I am too tired to get them out of their cases...

I have a good friend that is a master builder / modder. He got the 335 used but unplayed. It was black. He stripped it down to the wood and left the greyish wood grain highlights, then put a hand polished finish on. He finds on some guitars this really improves the tone, allowing the guitar to breath. I think it is something like a French Polished Finish.

The custom guitar is a Lorr guitar he picked out for the wood. He stripped off the 2 part epoxy finish. He opened it up, cut it down to a thinner 335-ish thickness. He replaced some of the internal woods with proper mahogany etc, blocked it like a 335 and put it back together. He put in a cut-a-way, and refinished it with the old school hand polished finish. (French Polished?). He added the Jason Lollar Imperial Low Wind pickups and used all Gibson pots and switches. It is absolutely the nicest richest sounding guitar I have heard or played. I am so glad I bought it. I have let a number of his jems go by over the years and regret that I let them go.

He also sets them up and gets them fret buzz free. Nice action, no buzzing or anything undesireable. Great until I get at them and wear out the frets...

Archived