HOG2 vs POG2+SuperEgo ??

arcadesonfire

• Members

Eep! I've been given a nice gift certificate for Christmas and now I need to make a choice: Do I just buy a Superego pedal and keep my POG2? Or do I sell the POG2 and go all out for a HOG2? My band is just me on guitar and my drummer singing. I use my TimeFactor and POG2 to make some synthy stuff out of the guitar (like at 0:33 in the vid below), and we want to expand on it now. The Superego would make for great pads (right?) and I could keep using my POG2, cuz it does indeed make excellent sounds. But the HOG2 has tons of stuff AND I could change patches with midi!!!

Are there any drawbacks to the HOG2? It doesn't have the POG's detune slider, which I love. Can I still get nice chorusy octaves out of it? Does it affect dry tone any more than the POG2?

• Members

I have a HOG2 and Superego on my board. They're both great pedals.

If I was in your situation I would probably keep the POG2 and get a Superego for the following reasons:

1. The SE sounds more natural than the HOG for freeze/gliss type stuff if you put some modulation in the loop.

2. The HOG's octave up always sound like a damn carnival soundtrack. The only thing I've played close to a POG2 was a microPOG but the octaves on it seemed to sound more natural than the HOG's.

Finally, in defense of the HOG2:

1. It lacks a detune slider, but you can detune with the supplied expression pedal which is probably more convenient and useful.

2. The bypass is excellent and shouldn't have much effect on your signal.

Hope that helps.

• Members

WWW wrote:

I have a HOG2 and Superego on my board. They're both great pedals.

If I was in your situation I would probably keep the POG2 and get a Superego for the following reasons:

1. The SE sounds more natural than the HOG for freeze/gliss type stuff if you put some modulation in the loop.

2. The HOG's octave up always sound like a damn carnival soundtrack. The only thing I've played close to a POG2 was a microPOG but the octaves on it seemed to sound more natural than the HOG's.

Finally, in defense of the HOG2:

1. It lacks a detune slider, but you can detune with the supplied expression pedal which is probably more convenient and useful.

2. The bypass is excellent and shouldn't have much effect on your signal.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! Your points sound like what I was thinking while going through all the demos on youtube last night. The superego sounds much more organic than the HOG2 (And I do have a chorus pedal lying around that i took off my board last year which i can put in the loop). I didn't know if it HOG's carnival tone was just because of the amps they were playing through in those demos or what, so thank you for confirming my suspicions.

I think I'll be going Superego, and continuing to hope that EHX will come out with a POG3 with more patches and easier switching some day.

Archived