Explorer Posse II

Master of You

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My friend (spennrocks) put a diamondplate pickguard on it before and he used some pretty strong adhesive and it was super thick too. Like 1/8", so it took awhile to pry it off. I actually bent and messed up the diamondplate more a lot faster/more than getting the adhesive off. So I had to use a huge screwdriver and knife to get under there.

It's still not done, I'm just testing it out colorwise and see how I like it. I'm leaving town in a few days, so I'm gonna sand it all back down, use some filler to fill up the dents, then put a few good coats of white on the whole thing, wetsand, etc and let it sit for about a month so the paint has time to cure.

I sanded down the finish on the back of the neck and like how smooth it feels, so I'm gonna finish it snowwhite too, but leave it smooth satin.

• Members

Here's my two explorers...the body shape is amazingly comfortable to play (I hate playing strats anymore!).

I got the natural one a few years back for a song as it had wiring problems, missing control/truss rod covers, and it had arm relief added. It does have a one piece mahogany body, suprisingly. For some reason, this guitar just speaks to me...I can't help but wonder where it's been.

I just refinished the second one (It had a badly done poly finish over the original nitro). I was suprised to find a three-piece body when I stripped it, expecting it to be similar to my other guitar. The top piece was actually a nice quilted-ish mahogany, but the lower two were just plain, so I went ahead and made it flat black as planned. It turned out pretty good with the ebony fretboard...note my signature /custom truss rod cover shape again. :D

nat_stand.jpgnat_body.jpgnat_headstock.jpg

blk_stand.jpgblk_body.jpgblk_headstock.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by 4nkam

My friend (spennrocks) put a diamondplate pickguard on it before and he used some pretty strong adhesive and it was super thick too. Like 1/8", so it took awhile to pry it off. I actually bent and messed up the diamondplate more a lot faster/more than getting the adhesive off. So I had to use a huge screwdriver and knife to get under there.

It's still not done, I'm just testing it out colorwise and see how I like it. I'm leaving town in a few days, so I'm gonna sand it all back down, use some filler to fill up the dents, then put a few good coats of white on the whole thing, wetsand, etc and let it sit for about a month so the paint has time to cure.

I sanded down the finish on the back of the neck and like how smooth it feels, so I'm gonna finish it snowwhite too, but leave it smooth satin.

wow. didnt notice that last time i was over. sorry lol :D

• Members

Originally posted by ScottIans Beard

Hey man,

what did you do to the pickguard on the matt black explorer? Looks sweet.

Was it ordered or did you DIY?

It's a brass pickguard that's gotten a bit tarnished (picked it up a while back for cheap, it was custom-made for someone else in Canada back in '86). I was going to make my own as I'm an experienced metalworker, but I got this one for only a bit more than the material cost.

The brass just has that glow/depth to it that just gets better as it ages---hard to explain.

• Members

recently, i've had this nasty GAS for a white Explorer. i've been looking for the Agile, but Rondo stopped making it and i can't find one anywhere used.

if/when i buy it, i may sink some Mastertone pickups in it, because i can :D

• Members
Originally posted by bullhead

recently, i've had this nasty GAS for a white Explorer. i've been looking for the Agile, but Rondo stopped making it and i can't find one anywhere used.

if/when i buy it, i may sink some Mastertone pickups in it, because i can
:D

I've seen a few on ebay during the past month or so...Not many though.

• Members

I've seen a few on ebay during the past month or so...Not many though.

yeah... i think i saw one beautiful looking white one on ebay, which is part of the reason i want one so bad.

does anyone know about why Rondo stopped making them, the AX-2, that is? i don't think it was that long ago that they were available, i'm curious as to whether or not they could be brought by "by customer demand". A.K.A. WHO WANTS TO HELP ME COERCE THEM INTO MAKING MORE?!?!?! :D :D

• Members
Originally posted by bullhead

yeah... i think i saw one beautiful looking white one on ebay, which is part of the reason i want one so bad.

does anyone know about why Rondo stopped making them, the AX-2, that is? i don't think it was that long ago that they were available, i'm curious as to whether or not they could be brought by "by customer demand". A.K.A. WHO WANTS TO HELP ME COERCE THEM INTO MAKING MORE?!?!?!

That's an interesting little story...Years ago, I asked Kurt if SX could make an explorer, but more like the ESP version. He said sure, as long as there was enough interest for it. So I came here and went to a few other boards and there was plenty of interest. I sent him a ton of pics, specs, dimensions, the whole shebang, haha :) Awhile later, he said SX couldn't do it, but Agile would. So finally last year or so they came out with that model, the ghost. The final result was like a cross between an 84 gibson and a Hamer/Dean...which was still kinda cool.

A lot of people want it back, but it's not gonna happen. Kurt said they can't make that shape or anything else that resembles an explorer anymore...thanks to the folks at Gibson.

• Members

A lot of people want it back, but it's not gonna happen. Kurt said they can't make that shape or anything else that resembles an explorer anymore...thanks to the folks at Gibson.

{censored}ing Gibson... so the result is that i have to buy a used one, at probably $100 more than it would cost new... and what does Gibson stand to gain from this?

Archived