Saw SOAD and Mars Volta last night

GregMan

• Members
Originally posted by nvcreations

ah led zep, the 2nd most over rated band
;)

but I was having a friend listen to mars volta (we are gonna see this show in october, and wanted to prep him on the opener) so he listens to two songs and asks

"these guys are opening for SOAD?.... they are gonna get booed off the stage"

i couldnt help but laugh but at the same time realize that I wouldnt be suprised if it happened. I think its just the cool thing to do to like mars volta. I loved their first cd but this one blows some serious ass.

No {censored}...I hate Led Zeppelin.

• Members

I saw SOAD a few years back live and they put on a really good show. It was either right before or right after Toxicity came out but the tone and playing was really good, they weren't sloppy at all. Things like that can change over time though. I think their new CD sucks and I was thinking I was going to dig it. Hey Megatron I heard your old band got back together, is that true?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by Whoopysnorp

the guitar player can't play leads.

:eek:

He's like the only guitarist I know of today that hasn't been around for 20+ years with a unique play style. Of course, I'm really referring to ATDI. I guess I can sort of see what you are saying about TMV, but I don't think I'd ever come close to saying that he can't play leads.

Sparta sucks now. TMV is starting to suck. Maybe they'll both break up and have an ATDI reunion for me. :D

• Members

So Greg? You dont talk to your cousin anymore bro>? What have you been up to ? this is Greg Wynn right?????????? It s me Jimi! Your cousin !

By the way, Nice picture of you and your friend on your website.

Like the JCM 800 amp in the back ground.

Just started back to teaching guitars again. I am now officailly been titled. Junior partner by the big guy at work. We are working the details. He needs someone to run the books and help in the studio as well so I figured for the extra float I am in!

We have over 300 students now! THings are going well. How are things going with you?

• Members

Yeah I saw them. I dunno about about this modded JMP-1 talk, did you actually SEE them or are you repeating what you read somewhere?

He had a bunch of Marshall cabs and a pair of Fender looking combos on top. The tone was very Marshall flavoured so I'm guessing it was one of those Cyber Twins or whatever.

They mostly played pretty tight but faltered a bit at one point.

As for The Mars Volta I was hoping I'd enjoy it since I'd liked what I'd heard from their CDs but no I didn't. The mix was horrible. The singer's tone wasn't as good as on recordings, he just sounded like a tortured chick... and his pitch was horrible. He was pretty good at wiggling around onstage though. I got pretty bored.

• Members

The show may have had something to do with their performance (the Mars Volta that is). I went to see them in Minneapolis and the show was amazing. The Mars Volta were the only act on the bill and they played for 2 hours straight. It was one giant exploration, man I loved it.

I have been a fan for a long time. John Theodore, the drummer, is absolutely one of the most creative percussionist in the last 10 years. The guitarist, I find, to hypnotic and menacing at the same time, and Cedric... well if he is on he is a amazing, if he isn't then the show is over.

Anyway, TMV isn't for everyone, but they are for me!

Peace,

Archived