Testing the waters: My Mesa Mk IV for your...

yngzaklynch

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by J.B.

Make sure you do. It's a "Marshall" setting that BrentSP gave me a while back. I posted a clip of the Mark IV with that setting and EVERYBODY thought it was a Marshall.

I have a MKIV and a JCM800 2203... I connected both amps to my Recto Cab and dialed the MKIV to sound 99.9% like the SD-1 boosted JCM800... and that is A/B'ing them with a switch instantaneously.... I would be amazed if anyone could hear the difference...

• Members

Originally posted by rho

I have a MKIV and a JCM800 2203... I connected both amps to my Recto Cab and dialed the MKIV to sound 99.9% like the SD-1 boosted JCM800... and that is A/B'ing them with a switch instantaneously.... I would be amazed if anyone could hear the difference...

Cool. I have not owned a Marshall in such a long time but i gigged with a JCM800 and a 50 watt PLexi in the 90s, i did lots of shows with them but i wish i had the Boogie all along because it works better for me at low volumes. ALthough i wouldn't mind owning another Marshall someday.

• Members

Originally posted by rho

Settings? This I gotta hear.

• Members
Originally posted by Shiny_Surface

There is a very simple solution to this dilemma that you seem to be purposely circumventing....acquiring a 2nd amp.

I can only conclude that you enjoy the cyclical turnover of buying/selling amps repeatedly
:confused:

I do find it more fun than frustrating.

• Members

Originally posted by yngzaklynch

JMPs don't have loops do they? Or was yours modded?

No, no loop. I'm thinking you should get a DSL/TSL, that way you get enough gain and you get Marshall. I played a TSL some years back before I bought my Dual Rectifer, and I was almost ready to buy it, but wanted to give the Rectifier one more chance (the one at GC sounded horrid) by driving to the Hollywood MB store. I ended up with the DR, but that TSL was nice.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

No, no loop. I'm thinking you should get a DSL/TSL, that way you get enough gain and you get Marshall. I played a TSL some years back before I bought my Dual Rectifer, and I was almost ready to buy it, but wanted to give the Rectifier one more chance (the one at GC sounded horrid) by driving to the Hollywood MB store. I ended up with the DR, but that TSL was nice.

I'm considering a DSL if no one wants to offer up a Slash model. I always liked the JCM2000 and therefore very confused when I see other forumites bag on them. Oh well to each their own. It's been awhile since I've played either a TSL or DSL but I think I dug the DSL a bit more. The TSL does however have that VPR feature that might make it better for low volume playing.

• Members

Originally posted by rho

Ugh... ok, I'll set it up this weekend and do the experiment again..

Please post your settings when you do :) I am hoping you are not using EL34's in the outer slots as I would have to rebias mine to do that since I did the bias mod to my mark IV....

• Members

Originally posted by dughaze

I might consider trading my Mark IV for yours if you'll throw in some cash...

For my JCM 800? I'd really be interested if so.. Been wanting a Mark IV for a long time and just am not into the JCM.

• Members

Originally posted by euclid

For my JCM 800? I'd really be interested if so.. Been wanting a Mark IV for a long time and just am not into the JCM.

If I do this at all it'll be for either a Slash Model or a dsl/tsl + cash. I'm undecided at this point.

• Members

I think the preamp idea is a real good one. You could even use pedals. Maybe something like a ToneBone Hot British? I think the IV's power amp, like most high gain amps, is pretty transparent so this would probably work well. {censored}, get the ToneBone for a Marshall thing. Get a Budda Zenman for a Budda thing, get an ADA mp1 for the spandex thing, etc. etc.

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

I think the preamp idea is a real good one. You could even use pedals. Maybe something like a ToneBone Hot British? I think the IV's power amp, like most high gain amps, is pretty transparent so this would probably work well. {censored}, get the ToneBone for a Marshall thing. Get a Budda Zenman for a Budda thing, get an ADA mp1 for the spandex thing, etc. etc.

Maybe. I'm thinking a Marshall is in order though.

• Members

Originally posted by yngzaklynch

Still pretty sure I want to trade my Mk IV for a Marshall. Bump.

Were you going to trade your IV for a DSL? *cringe* I can see a DSL for sale in 2 weeks if you do that. I played one yesterday. I think it's a cool amp but IMHO a MarkIV is better everywhere.

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

Were you going to trade your IV for a DSL? *cringe* I can see a DSL for sale in 2 weeks if you do that. I played one yesterday. I think it's a cool amp but IMHO a MarkIV is better everywhere.

I've always liked them and I'm surprised I ahven't owned one yet. If somebody put some cash on top I'd proabaly go for it.

Archived