My Daughter Just Left Home

Paul J. Edwards

• Members

My Wife and I just moved her into her dorm at NYU this past weekend and it's hard to deal with.

My beautiful baby has just left home and I miss her.

I am so proud of her going to her dream school but it hurts not having her here.

Being a parent is the hardest thing I have ever done.

Two more to go and I don't think it will be any easier.

Love your kids as much as you can and let them know how you feel.

• Members
Originally posted by psychodave
Congrats to her going to a good school. [/quote

She worked hard for it and even though it is way expensive she earned it.

Thanks for the nice comment Dave.

I wish I could live in Greenwhich Village .

She is only gone two days but I miss my baby.

Unless you have been through this you have no idea how it feels.

• Members

I left home about 3 years ago to come study here in Australia (I'm originally from Singapore). About 8 years ago my older sister did the same to study in England. And now my other sister, who does stay with my parents, is really really busy with work and she does shift work so she's hardly ever at home plus she still has exams and stuff. My parents keep busy with work and they have their own hobbies and stuff... things are alright in general. Just keep yourself occupied man, look on the bright side, she may have left home but it's not forever.

• Members
Originally posted by EdgySwingsetAcid

Tine to start playing the blues, Paul.
;)

I'm only 23, so no, I have no idea whats it like.

Congrats to her, and keep yourself up, dude. NYU is an awesome school. i seriously wish I could go there. Always have.

It's funny because on the one hand I am so happy for her and on the other it's hard to let go.

She will grow up so fast now. Being a parent is the most rewarding and hardest thing to do.

I do sound like a wimp now for sure.

It's hard to let go

Anyone else here have kids going off to college?

• Members

Congrats to your daughter and to you and your wife. My oldest just started her second year. It was a little rough at first last year but it gets better quick. I was so happy she was going to school and hopefully will make more of her life than I did with mine. I blew it and have regretted it ever since.
I have one more to go, she may need some pushing. I'll use both feet if I have to!
Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by adamquek

I left home about 3 years ago to come study here in Australia (I'm originally from Singapore). About 8 years ago my older sister did the same to study in England. And now my other sister, who does stay with my parents, is really really busy with work and she does shift work so she's hardly ever at home plus she still has exams and stuff. My parents keep busy with work and they have their own hobbies and stuff... things are alright in general. Just keep yourself occupied man, look on the bright side, she may have left home but it's not forever.

Ironically I hope that she does not move back home.

I want her to realize her dream.

• Members
Originally posted by batotman

I've still got 15-16 years before that happens and I dread it every day!
:(

My little stink is climbin on me right now!

They grow up too fast!

Enjoy it every day. They will be gone before you know it.

In a blink of an eye they are grown up and leaving home.

Trust me. Love 'em all you can... and let them know how you feel.

Having kids rocks!!! Love 'em up.

• Members

Time will pass. You will get used to it. She will accomplish things on her own and make you more proud of her than you ever thought possable. I know. My daughter is going to graduate next month. I am flying down there for a week. She has a great boyfriend that I have met and I like and she has a great future ahead. All is as it should be. Be happy!

• Members
Originally posted by Paul J. Edwards

They grow up too fast!

God yes they do. It seems like yesterday she was this little red thing and sooooo tiny......:(

My wife wants another but we don't get along that great. She's extremely lazy and I don't think she can handle another. Its too big of a life decision to make so hastily. :(

• Members

Originally posted by mccoyson

Time will pass. You will get used to it. She will accomplish things on her own and make you more proud of her than you ever thought possable. I know. My daughter is going to graduate next month. I am flying down there for a week. She has a great boyfriend that I have met and I like and she has a great future ahead. All is as it should be. Be happy!

Thanks for the insight. I know all of what you say is true.

I just need to let this feeling pass.

Thanks for the kind insightfull words.

She is a bright kid and me and my wife brought her up best as we could.. I am excited to see what turns out.

This is way exciteing!!!

• Members
Originally posted by batotman

God yes they do. It seems like yesterday she was this little red thing and sooooo tiny......

My wife wants another but we don't get along that great. She's extremely lazy and I don't think she can handle another. Its too big of a life decision to make so hastily.

My wife and I have not always got along. Still, we did have common ground when we had three.
I hope you and your wife can reconcile. May I be so bold as to suggest that expectations are not that important. Let it go.
Another discussion altogether!

• Members

Paul, my daughter is 19 and living at home while attending nursing school. She is my best friend. Even when she goes away for a long weekend with her girlfriends I miss her. She's such a great kid I don't know what I'll do when she leaves.

I hate even thinking about it. I would just take some long walks by yourself and thank the man upstairs for how great she is and ask for his protection for her. While your at it, ask him to help good ole dad too.

• Members

My Wife and I just moved her into her dorm at NYU this past weekend and it's hard to deal with.

I am so proud of her going to her dream school but it hurts not having her here.

Congrats Paul. She'll be homesick too for a little while. You will both adjust. At least you have 2 other siblings to help ease the feelings of empty nest. I have twin boys, one who has just graduated from Columbia University, and is now over in Holland playing professional basketball for a year. Somehow the other one ended up on the 5 year program(fingers crossed) and goes back to Amherst College on Sept 1.

Actually, I got used to just me and the missus alone pretty quickly! Summertime will come, and you will relish the peace and quiet you once had......

Cheer up, parent weekend will be here soon enough, and you'll go for a visit.

• Members

They grow up too fast!

She sounds like a very lucky daughter to have a dad like you. It's too bad more men aren't like that. I know I will try my best if I ever become a parent.

• Members

It's funny because on the one hand I am so happy for her and on the other it's hard to let go.

She will grow up so fast now. Being a parent is the most rewarding and hardest thing to do.

I do sound like a wimp now for sure.

It's hard to let go

Anyone else here have kids going off to college?

Bro, I delivered my first and only in kindergarten (he`s only been there for a week) this morning, and I thought THAT hurt :)
By%20mommys%20knees1.JPG

• Members

I live right around the Corner from the NYU dorms, Its too bad that we didnt get to meet

I guess Yale fell through huh?, you said that was her dream school

Archived