Try this on a Fender Strat...

rig-talk.com

• Members

Originally posted by Digital Jams

Buddastrat will be here to challenge this statement
;)

I will too ;) ...assuming all the parts are in working order, it can be done on a regular vintage-trem Strat. In my opinion and experience, roller nuts don't help, they can actually hurt. It takes a lot of setup, but it can be done.

My EBMM Silhouette with vintage-style trem is set up to float with a 1 1/2 up-pull on the G string. I can do full pullups and slack-string dives and it stays in tune. That's with 2 springs on the trem, locking tuners, and an ordinary plastic nut. Since I got it setup like that, I've barely touched my EVH with blocked Floyd.

Floating trems are fun when they work! Well, until you break a string. :D

• Members

Originally posted by SgtThump

Your Strat doesn't go out of tune when you do big whammy bar dives like I'm doing in that first clip? WOW! Hang onto that guitar! I've never seen a Fender that CAN stay in tune when using the trem!
:)

Chris Fenders can stay in tune great. I've never messed with G&L's but I'm sure they smoke as Leo is the man.

But Fender's can stay in tune all day long. I'm not talking about locking tuners or roller nut crap. Just regular six screw trem with vintage tuners. Every strat I had has stayed in tune through all the Adrian Belew elephant tricks and EVH horsie noises and Brad Gillis' ferrari sounds etc..

I've owned a lot of custom shop strats, mainly some of the time machine strats. Every one stayed in tune great right out of the box. But I'm talking any vintage style strat, even mexico strats can be set up to stay in good tune with obnoxious use of the trem. the ones I don't like for tuning stability is fender's two post trem. I just don't have good luck with them.

You know it's possible, cuz you've seen Doug Aldrich do it. Any regular strat can do that. Just very little winds on the post with proper tuning procedure and a little pencil lead/lube in the nut. They stay in tune for weeks!

• Members

Originally posted by buddastrat

Chris Fenders can stay in tune great. I've never messed with G&L's but I'm sure they smoke as Leo is the man.

But Fender's can stay in tune all day long. I'm not talking about locking tuners or roller nut crap. Just regular six screw trem with vintage tuners. Every strat I had has stayed in tune through all the Adrian Belew elephant tricks and EVH horsie noises and Brad Gillis' ferrari sounds etc.. I'm talking even mexico strats can be set up to stay in good tune with obnoxious use of the trem. the ones I don't like for tuning stability is fender's two post trem. I just don't have good luck with them.

You know it's possible, cuz you've seen Doug Aldrich do it. Any regular strat can do that. Just very little winds on the post with proper tuning procedure and a little pencil lead/lube in the nut. They stay in tune for weeks!

Bout time you showed up :D

• Members

But Fender's can stay in tune all day long. I'm not talking about locking tuners or roller nut crap. Just regular six screw trem with vintage tuners. Every strat I had has stayed in tune through all the Adrian Belew elephant tricks and EVH horsie noises and Brad Gillis' ferrari sounds etc..

I've owned a lot of custom shop strats, mainly some of the time machine strats. Every one stayed in tune great right out of the box. But I'm talking any vintage style strat, even mexico strats can be set up to stay in good tune with obnoxious use of the trem. the ones I don't like for tuning stability is fender's two post trem. I just don't have good luck with them.

Great for you guys that can make it work! I know how to setup guitars (or at least I think I do) and I've yet to make it work on any Fender I've owned (at least 5 Strats). Dunno what I'm doing wrong, but this G&L took very little effort to set it up to stay in tune great when doing severe whammy bar dives!

• Members

Great that you found what works for you. That's what counts in GAS!

I know the two post Fender was supposed to be an improvement but it always seems to squishy and soggy feeling even with more springs. It never quite comes back like it should. I had a U.S. strat with two post trem, Graphite nut, sperzels, and graphtech saddles. It worked pretty well, but I was always tweaking a string here or there. I kept the strat with vintage hardware in tune better and rarely had to tune. Weird.

• Members

Great that you found what works for you. That's what counts in GAS!

I know the two post Fender was supposed to be an improvement but it always seems to squishy and soggy feeling even with more springs. It never quite comes back like it should. I had a U.S. strat with two post trem, Graphite nut, sperzels, and graphtech saddles. It worked pretty well, but I was always tweaking a string here or there. I kept the strat with vintage hardware in tune better and rarely had to tune. Weird.

That is weird and definitely not what you'd expect!

Archived