SOT: Share Your Ebay Tips For Selling

Mesaholic

• Members

I've got to put some items up for sale on Ebay. I have purchased items on Ebay, but never sold anything. I'll be taking payment (I guess) in check, money order and Pay Pal. Apart from the basics, what do I need to know to protect myself and get top dollar?

If anyone is interested, I'm selling (among other things) a 2003 61 Reissue SG, an American Standard Jazz Bass, and a Mesa Rectifier 1x12 WEDGE cabinet loaded with a V30.

• Members

Take the best pictures possible, and write as detailed a description as possible. Auctions with blurry, small, dark pictures and/or vague or really short descriptions don't go as high.

Make sure to list any flaws or damage to the item(s), so there won't be disputes after the auction is over.

Start the auction on a Sunday afternoon or early evening.

Start the auction as low as possible. If you're worried about having to sell for way less than you want to, set a reserve. If you start the auction low, people will get caught up in bidding and usually your item will sell for more.

Research how much similar items have sold for (completed auctions search), what the initial bid price was, etc. so you have a good idea of what to expect to get for your item.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

I hate starting stuff at $1, just don't like doing that.

One of my friends swears by this. He eBays quite a bit, and says he get a lot more bids and interest with no reserve or the no starting bid. Claims he always gets what he wants out of it.

I dunno, myself. I've made precisely one eBay purchas on as many bids. Several years ago. I'm just not a fan of eBay. I might have to go there for whatever preamp I decide to rustle up, though.

• Members

I always put what I want plus shipping - add 10% or so into a Buy It Now price and offer free shipping with Buy It Now...

I hardly ever have an auction finish without abuy it now....In my experience, people will overpay to get something secured quickly and not to have to deal with stupidly inflated shipping prices...

But as you can see by the posts here - there are ALOT fo different ways to sell effectively....

• Members

Good quality pictures is half the battle already. Be detailed as possbile, someitmes buyers look for key descriptions. Also, be honest in detailing your product. Even the slightest blemish should be known to the seller.

Lastly, be generous with your selling price. People go to ebay to get a "very good deal" (like almost 50% off). Don't expect your product to sell the same price you bought it.

• Members

Originally posted by Lorax

I always put what I want plus shipping - add 10% or so into a Buy It Now price and offer free shipping with Buy It Now...

I hardly ever have an auction finish without abuy it now....In my experience, people will overpay to get something secured quickly and not to have to deal with stupidly inflated shipping prices...

But as you can see by the posts here - there are ALOT fo different ways to sell effectively....

I do the same thing, and my stuff usually sells within the first couple days of the auction.

• Members

DOn't end your auctions early. Lots of people will email you asking if they can pay what you have listed. I find that in the last hour the price will get jacked up as people wait for the last minute to outbid eachother. That's when people get sniped.

• Members

Originally posted by VoodooChild24

Don't expect your product to sell the same price you bought it.

You would be amazed what stuff ive sold for retail or close to it, for example i sold a Boss DS-1 pedal for $31 +$8 shipping, you can buy a new one with free shipping for that total from MF etc.

• Members

describe it as if you were your own customer. no bull{censored}, no exaggerations, just be honest and factual, and provide clear pictures. spell-check. throw in your positive opinions if you want, but don't go overboard with outrageous claims about the thing. the best way to sell often is to not "sell" the item, rather just make it really easy and comfortable for the buyer to buy it.

check ended auctions for similar things, and get an idea what they'll go for. avoid reserves, as they typically scare away bidders. instead start it for the lowest amount you'll accept for it - lower start usually means more bids. if you use a BIN, set the BIN around the high end of what they have been selling for, or a bit lower if you're in a hurry to move it, a bit higher if your example is way above average condition.

also important, if it's something heavy or big - pack it up first (take lots of pictures first) to get real weights and measurements for shipping, then use the shipping calculator thing. nothing sucks worse than getting hosed on shipping if you set it too low, and it's super annoying to get people bitching about it if you set it too high. let them calculate it themselves, avoids a lot of hassle. tack on a few bucks if you have to buy a box or anything, buyers won't see it and won't notice it if it's reasonable. plus, that way it's all ready to go when the auction ends, no need to hurry around trying to get it ready while a buyer waits impatiently.

• Members

someone should make an ebay translation program.

"this item has been kept in our smoke free studio"

translation

"this item has been used extensivly, in 4 different small, smoke filled basement jam rooms, left of for days at a time, used as a coaster for every sweaty bottle of beer or vodka from all over the world, and occasionally used as a pillow.

• Members

Originally posted by Mesaholic

Thanks for the input, guys. Any tips on dealing with money orders - are they all created equal?

Just make sure they are cashed/cleared before shipping...My bank says some are bogus but says Western Union are never counterfeited....FWIW....that'll prolly change in a matter of days

• Members

Originally posted by Mesaholic

Thanks for the input, guys. Any tips on dealing with money orders - are they all created equal?

I always request Postal money orders if they decide to pay with them. The whole mail fraud thing is a big deterrent to forging them. Also they are the easiest to track if need be.

Also, listen to what potaetoes said - all very good advise. Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by KillDozer

Take the best pictures possible, and write as detailed a description as possible. Auctions with blurry, small, dark pictures and/or vague or really short descriptions don't go as high.

Make sure to list any flaws or damage to the item(s), so there won't be disputes after the auction is over.

Start the auction on a Sunday afternoon or early evening.

Start the auction as low as possible. If you're worried about having to sell for way less than you want to, set a reserve. If you start the auction low, people will get caught up in bidding and usually your item will sell for more.

Research how much similar items have sold for (completed auctions search), what the initial bid price was, etc. so you have a good idea of what to expect to get for your item.

I highly agree with this +10000000.

I often won't bid on something if the picture is small and blurry. Also, I disagree with Megadeth (although it might work for him). I don't think you should start something really high. Unless it's something like a VHT power amp which is in high demand I would start the bid low. I'm always looking for an item with a very low starting bid. It's just more enticing. If you're worried you won't get much then put in a reserve but seriously don't start the bid really high.

Also, if a person asks a question, really take some time and write a detailed, kind reply. Some sellers write really short, sloppy replies with many mispellings and it doesn't reflect well on them.

Also, the comment someone made about being generous about the selling price is also true. Often times people try to sell their $1500 item for like $1200 and although it might be in good condition and only a few months old (or several) they still need to take into consideration that items devalue fast!

• Members

BE HONEST about what you have and what you are selling. DO NOT lower the price on the item and raise the shipping price to make up the difference.

I hate buying something, being charged 50 bucks for shipping and have the thing show up at my house wrapped in duct tape and newspaper!!!

Sell it like you were buying it!!!

• Members

Originally posted by BrendanO

One of my friends swears by this. He eBays quite a bit, and says he get a lot more bids and interest with no reserve or the no starting bid. Claims he always gets what he wants out of it.

I dunno, myself. I've made precisely one eBay purchas on as many bids. Several years ago. I'm just not a fan of eBay. I might have to go there for whatever preamp I decide to rustle up, though.

+1

believe me it works. you'll never get less than you deserved.

• Members

This one will be controversial, but I typically offer a refund in the case of DOA.

I am taking on a little risk there, but to me it is better than having an item, that was advertised as working, arrive to me dead, and be stuck with it. I think it establishes a little good faith. Of course not everyone is into good faith.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

I like to start the item for exactly what I want for it, even if it's a bit high of an asking price. I have pretty good success, I hate starting stuff at $1, just don't like doing that.

smart man. works well for me too.

Archived