cab doesnt work

brutalmoe420

• Members

today in the middle of jamming with my band my cabinet stopped working. my head was on and my noise supporessor's led light was working like my guitar was going through it. could it be my cables or a short in the speakers? i'm going to bring my cab to gitar center where i bought it. see if they can figure out what's wrong.

• Members
Originally posted by brutalmoe420

today in the middle of jamming with my band my cabinet stopped working. my head was on and my noise supporessor's led light was working like my guitar was going through it. could it be my cables or a short in the speakers? i'm going to bring my cab to gitar center where i bought it. see if they can figure out what's wrong.

Just like that? You aren't going to check the drivers separately or even check the wiring or your cable beforehand? Youv deserve whatever raping they give you,IMO.

• Members

my dad can check it out with his test light. but i only got that cab a few months ago. its gay that it broke down on me.

Its gay,huh? And you haven't even eliminated your speaker cable or the amp itself as the possible culprit. WOW!:( :(

• Members

could it be my cables or a short in the speakers?

What's your setyup?

When you unplug the guitar input to the amp, do you hear any hiss coming from the speaker(s)? If not, then chances are the speakers and/or speaker cable isn't the problem.

Do you have another cab to tereye?

• Members

anyone have any idea what i should do? i don't have the money to go out and buy a new cabinet so i'm counting that out until it's my last resort.

First thing is you need to get your head out of your ass :D Troubleshoot each step that could cause the problem. Do you have a Volt OHM meter? With it you can trace from the input jack to the speakers. If you speakers are wired in series one could have opened up causing the current path to break. What can you hurt by taking it apart and do an inspection. It may just be a wire connecter that came loose. Go for it ;)

• Members

Originally posted by scud

If it were me Ithink I would just dump a can of gasoline on it in my front yard and set it on fire to put the gay piece of {censored} out of its misery.
:mad:

And make sure to play some Jimi Hendrix EXTRA loud while you do it.

Drop on your knees in front of it while it burns and play the intro of House Burnin' Down on repeat while you cry your ass out with a bottle of whisky in your hand.

Oh yeah, wear some leather pants and a silk shirt, unbuttoned if possible.

P.S Scream a few "WWWHHYYYYYY" once in a while if you can, chicks dig that.

• Members

anyone have any idea what i should do? i don't have the money to go out and buy a new cabinet so i'm counting that out until it's my last resort.

Before you burn that gay bastard, check the fuse.

• Members

Originally posted by Diezel

Before you burn that gay bastard, check the fuse.

Yup that's more than likely the problem. Just look at the fuse Moe and you can easily tell if it's shot out and if so bring it with you when you go to Radio Shack. You'll be up and running in no time I'm sure.

Derek

• Members

are there more than one fuses i would have to check and how would i check besides just looking and seeing if one is melted or not.

The little wire inside will look broken and discolored. The amp probably has 2 fuses which more than likely can be found in the back of the amp/

Derek

• Members

here are the things that you need to check out, in order:

1. guitar

2. instrument cable

3. amp head

4. speaker cable

5. cabinet

6. individual speakers

here's how to check them, starting with your setup alltogether:

unplug the guitar, with the cable still in the input, and the amp on, tap the end of it, do you hear a pop or buzz? if you do, the whole setup is fine, its your guitar that's the problem.

if you do not hear a pop, replace the cable with another one and try again. also, verify that you have continuity from plug to plug.

swap out your head for another one, if there is still no sound, go back to the original.

after you've eliminated the front end, check your speaker cable just like you did your instrument cable. if this still isn't the problem, move to the speaker cabinet.

again using your multimeter to check for continuity and resistance, check the cabinet by putting your test probes on the terminals inside the jack, if it reads open, you have either a bad driver(speaker) or a bad connection, which should be easy to trace. if it reads 0 or close to zero, you have a short.

• Members

Oh my... Just check the cabinet with different gear (that includes everything, guitar, cables, head). So you'll be sure that the cabinet is {censored}ed. Then burn that sun of a bitch and proceed milking your brother for a new one...

If you show up at the shop with a working cabinet only to find out that your cable or sth is broken than you'll really look like a retard. If that bothers you... :D

Archived