plexi or jcm 800

jcourtjr

• Members

Originally posted by Ke^in

Ah and the plexis cork sniffing begins. I thought this stuff ended in the 90s when the 800 became cool?

They're both amazing amps...when they are healthy. It's just a matter of personal taste. I own a 2203 that I love to death, but I want a plexi too. Am I cork sniffing?:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by guitarded_1

They're both amazing amps...when they are healthy. It's just a matter of personal taste. I own a 2203 that I love to death, but I want a plexi too. Am I cork sniffing?
:confused:

Not at all. I haven't played through a tubed Marshall I didn't like.

You will however get the occasional cork sniffer that will say "Only these certain models sound good"

It varies from decade to decade. Back in the mid 90s is was all Plexis, and low wattage boutique amps.

The 800 was selling for cheap. Alot claimed it sucked!11 (Of course it didn't as we know)

Funny how things and trends work.

• Members

i guess i`m neither here nor there on this issue as my amp is probably a cross of sorts between the 2 LOL :D, i had my plexi modded and it has a PPIMV. It`s a great amp though, a keeper for sure.

In general plexi`s and 800`s are both great amps just different flavours of marshall.

Brad

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

It's funny you didn't mention the jcm900 at all!
;)

Why is it funny? Do you think I am funny? Is that it? Am I am comedian?

:p

Anyhow, it wouldn't have been relevant.

I was referring to the time in here were the cork sniffing plexi snobs were claiming all 800s SUCKED!1 You know, it had a master volume and all. You could barely give them away.

But now they are being treated like a holy grail. Right up there with the plexi.

I just find it humorous.

The cork sniffing that is.

The 800 was just as good of an amp in the 90s, as it was in the 80s, and it is today.

• Members

Originally posted by fetuspetus

how about the jcm2000... i like the jcm2000 dsl 50 in a lot of ways...

ben

In truth, any tubed Marshall sounds good. I have yet to play one that didn't. They all have different characteristics. But all have that Marshall "honk"

I played a 2000 the other day. Loved it just as much as I did the plexi, 800, etc.

I would actually PREFER it over the 800, Plexi. I like the high gain amps Marshall started making after the 800.

• Members

Originally posted by Ke^in

Not at all. I haven't played through a tubed Marshall I didn't like.

You will however get the occasional cork sniffer that will say "Only these certain models sound good"

It varies from decade to decade. Back in the mid 90s is was all Plexis, and low wattage boutique amps.

The 800 was selling for cheap. Alot claimed it sucked!11 (Of course it didn't as we know)

Funny how things and trends work.

I agree

• Members

I've had an opportunity to extensively compare an '89 2203 to my '71 Super Lead. As much as I adore my Super Lead, the 2203 requires alot less fiddling around with. I managed to get a plethora of phenomenal tones from the 2203 all with just a Keeley SD-1. The 2203 with a Hotplate works really really well! That said, the Super lead has alot of mojo to it. It's not as aggressive as the 2203. It's a bit warmer and more classic sounding. They also respond differently to different OD's and boosts. The 2203 LOVES the SD-1 (Keeley or stock). The best tones I've gotten from my SL have been with a clean boost (I'm using the Sparkle Drive). Both amps are amazing, but the Super Lead will require alot more effort to tame the volume issues (it's the loudest amp I've ever heard!). I use a Rich Mod PPIMV and a Hotplate with great results IMO. Check the links in my signature... I have a comparison clip that I did with the SL and 2203.

Archived