plexi or jcm 800

jcourtjr

• Members

Originally posted by vlad

I've had an opportunity to extensively compare an '89 2203 to my '71 Super Lead. As much as I adore my Super Lead, the 2203 requires alot less fiddling around with. I managed to get a plethora of phenomenal tones from the 2203 all with just a Keeley SD-1. The 2203 with a Hotplate works really really well! That said, the Super lead has alot of mojo to it. It's not as aggressive as the 2203. It's a bit warmer and more classic sounding. They also respond differently to different OD's and boosts. The 2203 LOVES the SD-1 (Keeley or stock). The best tones I've gotten from my SL have been with a clean boost (I'm using the Sparkle Drive). Both amps are amazing, but the Super Lead will require alot more effort to tame the volume issues (it's the loudest amp I've ever heard!). I use a Rich Mod PPIMV and a Hotplate with great results IMO. Check the links in my signature... I have a comparison clip that I did with the SL and 2203.

I listened to the comparison, good job! I like the SL tone much better than the 2203, it's alot smoother but it's still got a nice midrange voice. So that SL has a MV mod to it? Do you still have to crank it?

• Members

Originally posted by MoreCowbell

I listened to the comparison, good job! I like the SL tone much better than the 2203, it's alot smoother but it's still got a nice midrange voice. So that SL has a MV mod to it? Do you still have to crank it?

Thanks man! :cool:

I'd go back and forth and still not be able to pick a favorite. They're just 2 different Marshall tones. Both great. I want a nice 2203 to go with my Bogner and Super Lead.

Yeah the SL has the Rich Mod. I really like it. It sounds great at all volumes. It does sound better as you turn it up, but those clips were recorded at bedroom volumes. I use the Hotplate to get the right balance of volume and powertube OD. The Hotplate just gives more control over the amp. I usually set the hotplate to about -4 or -8 and crank the MV to the desired volume. The HP shaves off just enough db's to where I don't have to go deaf and still have great tone. But with Rich Mod, the HP is somewhat secondary.

• Members

Originally posted by Ke^in

In truth, any tubed Marshall sounds good. I have yet to play one that didn't. They all have different characteristics. But all have that Marshall "honk"

I played a 2000 the other day. Loved it just as much as I did the plexi, 800, etc.

I would actually PREFER it over the 800, Plexi. I like the high gain amps Marshall started making after the 800.

I wasn't playing guitar at that time when 800s were being given away for pennies.:o

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm running my JCM800 like a plexi I guess. Volume at 7 and pre amp at 7. I quiet things down with an attenuator.

I guess I figure since Im not using this amp like most people use master volume amps (preamp high and master volume low), I just just get a non-master volume amp and turn that {censored} up and just attenuate.

• Members

I love both, but the Plexi would be it if I was forced to choose. It is just warmer sounding. In the late 90s the 800s were still cheap, I paid $225 for my 2203 back around 98 at a pawn shop. Granted that was cheap, but within a year the prices started shooting up. What you would pay $450 at GC was now going for $650+

Archived