OT: Who likes basswood guitars???

mightyjoeyoungxnj

• Members

So guys, I'm currently looking at the Ibanez RG2550 for a possible replacement to my LTD. I notice most RG models (even some Prestige) are made of basswood. I also know that a bunch of people on here aren't fans of basswood and think it's a cheap wood. I was wondering what some of you guys thought of it, and if anyone owns a basswood guitar?? Thanks.

-Joe

• Members

basswood is a very transparent wood, it lets the pups shine through really well and its lightweight . but it dosent have much character imo, and it trends to ding alot since its a soft wood.

some vh sig. guitars are also basswood.

id just look for a rg3120 which has a mahogany body and dimarzio's

• Members

Originally posted by JiroJan

basswood is a very transparent wood, it lets the pups shine through really well and its lightweight . but it dosent have much character imo, and it trends to ding alot since its a soft wood.

some vh sig. guitars are also basswood.

id just look for a rg3120 which has a mahogany body and dimarzio's

The 3120 was a bit out of my budget, but if I save I can probably swing it. Basically, I'm looking for a shred guitar (preferably under $1,000), with either a high quality Floyd copy, or an OFR. I'd be open to used guitars. I'm trying to stay away fromt he Korean made guitars, although if anyone had some worthwhile reccomendations that would be great.

-Joe

• Members

Originally posted by mightyjoeyoungxnj

The 3120 was a bit out of my budget, but if I save I can probably swing it. Basically, I'm looking for a shred guitar (preferably under $1,000), with either a high quality Floyd copy, or an OFR. I'd be open to used guitars. I'm trying to stay away fromt he Korean made guitars, although if anyone had some worthwhile reccomendations that would be great.

-Joe

well, they dont make these anymore so youd have to buy used.

i gave someone a great deal on the forum and sold them mine in red with all orig tags and ohsc for $500. you could probably get one on ebay for around $650

• Members

I have had Alder, Ash, Mahogany. Mahogany with a Maple top and Basswood guitars. I have no problem with Ibanez's choose of Basswood. I played the Rg 550 as my main giiggng ax for ten years then switched to strats, but recently bought another Rg550 as a back up. I put low output Carvin Holdsworth pickups in it and it almost gets the strat tone, but has a more aggresive lead tone than the strat. I think playing the Ibanez for ten years and thinking high enough of it to buy it again gives testiment to the great design and quality of this undedrated wood and guitar. BTW I gigged with a 70's Gibson SG for 15 years and have no desire to buy another one

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

Lots of Suhr guitars are made of Basswood with maple tops. I think the Wolfgangs and Ernie Ball Axis guitars are also basswood and none of those guitars sounds weak. Aren't the Ibanez Satriani guitars made of basswood?

I believe so, along with the Universe 7 string. I'm trying to keep an open mind beofre I dismiss this guitar. The 2550 is just what I need, and it has the Prestige neck.

-Joe

• Members

I like it. I want to find a strat body made of basswood.

I disagree with it being transparent sounding. t's got a warm tone to it. NOT snappy or percussive like ash. Sort've the complete opposite. Notes are absorbed a bit more.

If you tap basswood you can hear it's characteristics right along with ash, alder etc..

• Members

I've owned many guitars with different wood combinations including maple top over basswood guitars. My three Suhrs are all have maple tops over basswood bodies. IMO, it is somewhat neutral tone-wise with a slight emphasis on the highs (but that could be from the maple top-I'm not sure). The mids appear to be very flat. Basswood is also not a cheap wood. Tom Anderson on his forum stated that the basswood he uses is more expensive than alder and he had no clue as to why people thought basswood was cheap.

• Members

Don't let a guitar being basswood keep you from getting it. I've got 2 basswood guitars, an Ibanez RG550 and and a cheapy Schecter both with ToneZone's in the bridge, and they slay

If you have a crappy amp or crappy playing, basswood sucks....so do Schecter's, Ibanezes, and Dimarzio pickups.

• Members

My Suhr is Basswood with a quilted maple top. It sounds incredible. My vintage Les Pauls wish they sounded this good. So does my '66 strat. My Charvel San Dimas's get their asses kicked by it too, so yeah basswood is a pretty crappy tonewood in my opinion.:D

By the way, some newbie guitar builder that none of you have heard of named John Suhr says that basswood with a maple top and a maple neck is his very favorite tonal combination. I'm not sure if he's ever heard of alder, mahogany or ash though.:D Some unknown doofus named Eddie Van Halen used that exact same combination for his Music Man Axis and his Peavey Wolfgangs.

So I would definitely avoid basswood at all costs:D

• Members

USA Custom Guitars says this about Basswood:

BASSWOOD - A nice resonant wood. Normally associated with Metal and Hard Rock guitars. Has a fat bottom and can sometimes (depending on pickups) have a mushy bottom end. But overall sounds pretty darn good. But if you look at it to hard it may dent because it is quite soft!

Warmoth says:

Basswood (Tilia americana):

This is a lighter weight wood normally producing Strat

• Members
Originally posted by mightyjoeyoungxnj

So guys, I'm currently looking at the Ibanez RG2550 for a possible replacement to my LTD. I notice most RG models (even some Prestige) are made of basswood. I also know that a bunch of people on here aren't fans of basswood and think it's a cheap wood. I was wondering what some of you guys thought of it, and if anyone owns a basswood guitar?? Thanks.

-Joe

I don't give a rat's ass what the guitar is made out of if it sounds good.

• Members

I am not that big on basswood it is really soft and dents easy. I literally have a guitar with dents in it. It is kinda muddy sounding. That said, Suhr and Anderson like it and they build some of the finest instruments in the world.... I would take a mahog/maple git any day. Or solid mahog or solid korina.

• Members

Originally posted by Chubtone

USA Custom Guitars says this about Basswood:

BASSWOOD - A nice resonant wood. Normally associated with Metal and Hard Rock guitars. Has a fat bottom and can sometimes (depending on pickups) have a mushy bottom end. But overall sounds pretty darn good. But if you look at it to hard it may dent because it is quite soft!

Warmoth says:

Basswood (Tilia americana):

This is a lighter weight wood normally producing Strat

Archived