***celebrities Need To Help Victims Dammit!!!****

Romanian Reaper

• Members
Originally posted by rockon1202

Sorry if this seems mean, but when people know that a cat 5 hurricane is coming, wouldn't it make sense to get the {censored} out of Dodge? I never understand how you wind up with thousands trapped in these areas hit by hurricanes when I'm sure the majority could board up the windows, pack up the kids, grab the dog, and get the hell outta there.
:(

They were too poor too move. Most(not all) of these are people living paycheck to paycheck.....not an extra dime to spare. The poorest of our society.

• Members
Originally posted by rockon1202

Sorry if this seems mean, but when people know that a cat 5 hurricane is coming, wouldn't it make sense to get the {censored} out of Dodge? I never understand how you wind up with thousands trapped in these areas hit by hurricanes when I'm sure the majority could board up the windows, pack up the kids, grab the dog, and get the hell outta there.
:(

I wish it were that easy, but when you don't have a car and don't have money to get to pay for transportation to get where you're going (let alone money to pay for housing once you get there) then it makes it awfully tough. The majority that stayed are economically challanged and it's not a trivial thing to uproot themselves and their families, even for a short time.

Idealism is a good trait to have, but in times like this it often falls far short of reality.

Matt

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

They were too poor too move. Most(not all) of these are people living paycheck to paycheck.....not an extra dime to spare. The poorest of our society.

I don't know a whole lot about the NOLA area, I know it's fairly corrupt, etc...but are there that many people down there that are flat broke?

• Members
Originally posted by BerkleeBill

Exactly! My point was: "was make celebrities foot the bill?" you know, in response to the base note?

And suddenly, I'm being labled a selfish prick. Some people on thie board need some
serious
reading comprehension skills!!!!!
:p

Here is your original post:

"No they don't! This is the Government's {censored}ing mess. Seeing as how they have no issues with spending Billion$ at the drop of a hat, let them pay to clean it up!!!"

What reading comprehension skill do I need to work on that would convince me otherwise? If you hate the government, fine. But don't make these people at poverty level pay the price. They probably feel like the government has screwed them over their whole lives and that average Joes are the only ones that will help them.

• Members

Originally posted by MCon

I don't know how many will, but this is a really good start. Kudos to Warrick Dunn.

Matt

See, that is a true football hero and mentor. I have so much respect for that guy because he knows some of these players probably don't want to give up their earnings.

• Members

Originally posted by Romanian Reaper

See, that is a true football hero and mentor. I have so much respect for that guy because he knows some of these players probably don't want to give up their earnings.

Yeah. Wasn't he the NFL Man of the Year not that long ago for his community and charity work? He's a real class act.

Matt

• Members

Man, I just read an interview with the Mayor of New Orleans. He is right, people waited too long to do something. I just can't fathom that people were not already setup to IMMEDIATELY have supplies sent into New Orleans, Mobile, Biloxi, etc.

My wife had a good point last night. Months ago when the Tsunami hit, you had a quick response for something that was unexpected. This hurricane comes, it's expected, and people know when it's going to hit, and people are not getting the help they need.

There should have been a convoy of trucks waiting in Baton Rouge and elsewhere, ready to go.

• Members

So far this isn't a shortage of money, and there probably won't be. I'm not saying that we shouldn't give all that we can. My point is that it's not lack of money that has created this situation. Already, the contributions of Americans towards the hurricane (from what I've heard) are triple what they were for the Tsunami. I heard that we're at 90 mill already, but that may be bull{censored}.

• Members

Originally posted by MCon

I wish it were that easy, but when you don't have a car and don't have money to get to pay for transportation to get where you're going (let alone money to pay for housing once you get there) then it makes it awfully tough. The majority that stayed are economically challanged and it's not a trivial thing to uproot themselves and their families, even for a short time.

Idealism is a good trait to have, but in times like this it often falls far short of reality.

Matt

+1

Archived