I Need Help Here Please!!!!!!!!!!!

riffy

• Members

Need help with this...

I have just re-setup all my recording devices and seem to be getting a pretty good sound to disk but... My mixes totally suck!

What can I do with this file to make it sound like a CD quality release???

I know that the cymbals are far too hot in this mix... I want more midrange and bass clarity if this is possible...

Any and all suggestions are MOST WELCOME!

What I did with this track was record my Esquire down the center thru a JCM800 with not a ton of gain. Then I recorded a Kramer guitar panned 75% left thru the 800 with more gain and then the same guitar 75% right with a Maxon 808 boosting the 800 for even more gain. Bass track is down the middle as well...

Help me please!

GaryNew Recording Setup

• Members

Drums center, each guitar slightly to either side, bass closer to center than the guitars, but not centered. After that it's just adjusting the levels.
It's a talent AND a skill, mastering.
No two people will ever mix the exact same record.

most modern releases use alot of compression, but this really just makes them sound like {censored}. It's done so that they're 'radio ready' even though EVERY radio station uses compressors to the max.

• Members

I always pan the bass right and left on 2 tracks which seems to make for a boomier/ enveloping/ Led Zeppelin I/ AcidRock23's ideal bass sound.

I've spent all weekend {censored}ing around w/ a song though and it just occured to me that...I needed to turn the bass down as it was WAY too boomy and was bludgeoning the other stuff over the head like a harp seal. I like the guitars tighter in the middle w/ maybe the leads panned a bit wider. I guess I do 'chug' guitars in the middle and jangly guitars wide and stick leads in the middle. I'm not sure why, mostly sitting there and twiddling knobs. I really ought to read a book about it and figure out what the hell I'm doing. Sometimes I think that I'm trying to synthesize a crappy basement room b/c I don't have a basement.

I think that that sounds pretty rockin' though. Try the bass though, it's one of those things that 'it's the SAME thing so it shouldn't sound bigger but it does' or at least I think it does.

• Members
Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

Drums center, each guitar slightly to either side, bass closer to center than the guitars, but not centered. After that it's just adjusting the levels.

most modern releases use alot of compression, but this really just makes them sound like {censored}. It's done so that they're 'radio ready' even though EVERY radio station uses compressors to the max.

I agree w/ the compression though, I don't see why it's used so much. I want to hear your damn instrument, not a damn computer...;):D

not sure on the bass though, I'll have to go fiddle w/ my track...fortunately, I've just left the {censored} on all weekend so I don't have to fire it up everytime I want to go tweak knobs...:)

• Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

So 75% to either side is too much for the heavier rhythm guitars then. I will try panning them in closer!~

Thank you!

Gary

• Members

Originally posted by AcidRock23

I always pan the bass right and left on 2 tracks which seems to make for a boomier/ enveloping/ Led Zeppelin I/ AcidRock23's ideal bass sound.

I've spent all weekend {censored}ing around w/ a song though and it just occured to me that...I needed to turn the bass down as it was WAY too boomy and was bludgeoning the other stuff over the head like a harp seal. I like the guitars tighter in the middle w/ maybe the leads panned a bit wider. I guess I do 'chug' guitars in the middle and jangly guitars wide and stick leads in the middle. I'm not sure why, mostly sitting there and twiddling knobs. I really ought to read a book about it and figure out what the hell I'm doing. Sometimes I think that I'm trying to synthesize a crappy basement room b/c I don't have a basement.

I think that that sounds pretty rockin' though. Try the bass though, it's one of those things that 'it's the SAME thing so it shouldn't sound bigger but it does' or at least I think it does.

I will try that bass thing. I have never even thought of trying that!

I really like the sparkle that all modern tracks seem to have that I just CAN NOT get though!

Gary

• Members
Originally posted by AcidRock23

I agree w/ the compression though, I don't see why it's used so much. I want to hear your damn instrument, not a damn computer...
;):D

not sure on the bass though, I'll have to go fiddle w/ my track...fortunately, I've just left the {censored} on all weekend so I don't have to fire it up everytime I want to go tweak knobs...
:)

I didn't compress any of this????? Well I take that back. I did hit the bass with some light compression to even out the boominess!

Gary

• Members

Originally posted by riffy

I didn't compress any of this????? Well I take that back. I did hit the bass with some light compression to even out the boominess!

Gary

d'oh, I realized that, that's why I liked your clip! I was agreeing w/ TheGZeus' comments re most 'modern' music having WAY too much of that.

• Members

Originally posted by Romanian Reaper

Yikes!!! That sounds like the input is overdriven. It almost sounds like you are distorting the tracks because the gain is set too high. Not gain on your amp, but your input device.

hhhhhmmmmmm, maybe I did, I am not sure. I don't think so as I didn't see any clipping going on during recording or mixdown. Maybe I normalized it a bit hot?

Gary

• Members

The guitars aren't panned at all, they're right down the middle. I think you're not getting the panning thing right Gary. You have to record a mono track (don't bother panning on the way into the computer), then pan it in the software to the left or right once it's done. Then record another track the same way, and pan it to the other side once it's done.

Having Drumkit From Hell would be cool too. I used that on my last clip (the MHG2 one) since I had no backing track... I had to make the drums and play bass on that one.

• Members

Normalizing doesn't make everything the same level. What it does is take the highest level of the file (the highest peak) and raises the overall volume of the whole file so that one peak is at the highest possible level before clipping (and everything else is increased by the same relative level). It's like turning up the volume, that's pretty much all.

I haven't used normalizing in years. It has its uses but it's limited. If I record a track whose volume is too low I'd rather re-record the track at the right level than normalize it.

• Members

Originally posted by JamesPeters

The guitars aren't panned at all, they're right down the middle. I think you're not getting the panning thing right Gary. You have to record a mono track (don't bother panning on the way into the computer), then pan it in the software to the left or right once it's done. Then record another track the same way, and pan it to the other side once it's done.

Having Drumkit From Hell would be cool too. I used that on my last clip (the MHG2 one) since I had no backing track... I had to make the drums and play bass on that one.

Then I really screwed up something mixing down.lol.. I had The Maxon Boosted Marshall 75% right and eq'ed brighter. The non boosted Marshall 75% left and eq'ed darker and the lightly distorted Marshall with the Esquire down the middle along with the bass...

I must have screwed up something somewhere!

Gary

• Members

Normalizing doesn't make everything the same level. What it does is take the highest level of the file (the highest peak) and raises the overall volume of the whole file so that one peak is at the highest possible level before clipping (and everything else is increased by the same relative level). It's like turning up the volume, that's pretty much all.

I haven't used normalizing in years. It has its uses but it's limited. If I record a track whose volume is too low I'd rather re-record the track at the right level than normalize it.

Thats it.. thats the ticket. I will stop normalizing then as well. I always wondered why I should do it... I can set the levels for recording and playback on my mixer the way I want them so normalizing is not needed then?

Gary

• Members

Normalizing doesn't add compression or anything. It's just a quick way of raising the overall volume, plus the convenience of stopping before the file clips (which you'd otherwise have to watch for yourself).

It seems we've talked about panning before. If your software has a tutorial, give it a run, even if it seems childishly simple (humor it, just for the sake of figuring out the one or two things you're not catching). I don't think I've heard any stereo guitars in your mixes unless it was a down-the-middle guitar with a stereo effect on it.

• Members

..no offense, but that's incorrect.

It averages the volume as if you were riding the fader.

I don't know what you were using, and why they were calling that normalising, but either way it's mostly pointless.

Archived