Looks like the GMW hype is over...

rig-talk.com

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

These forums are very fickle with taste I have found. There is a new flavor of the month every few months it seems. It still doesn't change the few loyal followers of whatever product that are out there. The GWM's seem like cool guitars I have just gotten to a point where I don't want superstrat kind of guitars simply because I have played one for too long.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

These forums are very fickle with taste I have found. There is a new flavor of the month every few months it seems. It still doesn't change the few loyal followers of whatever product that are out there. The GWM's seem like cool guitars I have just gotten to a point where I don't want superstrat kind of guitars simply because I have played one for too long.

As far as I can remember, econ was one of the very first in here to have a GMW. I remember him posting it for sale and me really digging the looks of it. I ended up getting a white/black GMW Jake and really talking it up. From there, a bunch of people got 'em and they became the hottest thing around.

I'm not saying econ or I started it, but we were one of the first in here to jump on the bandwagon I think.

Either way, the guitars are awesome.

• Members

Originally posted by SgtThump

As far as I can remember, econ was one of the very first in here to have a GMW. I remember him posting it for sale and me really digging the looks of it. I ended up getting a white/black GMW Jake and really talking it up. From there, a bunch of people got 'em and they became the hottest thing around.

I'm not saying econ or I started it, but we were one of the first in here to jump on the bandwagon I think.

Either way, the guitars are awesome.

If I were to get that style of guitar again I would either get a GWM, Suhr or a Tom Anderson. Probably the GWM simply because they are a lot cheaper and the quality seems to be as good. I recently have fell in love with PRS guitars and it appears they will be getting my money for a while, for whatever reason their guitars fit me like a glove and the wide necks are great for my long fingers.

• Members

I'm talking about the hype on this forum.

Bro, you and I both know that just about anything is subject to hype on this forum and I definitely see where you are coming from. I was kind of amazed to see the wave of GMW Spam threads as well

Why? I have no Idea!!!

Kage

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

It's because the forum is full of young kids that treat musical equipment like the latest fad tennis shoes.

They don't really care about the sound so much, as how cool they will look using it.

I have found as one tends to grow older and mature one doesn't care what other people think of what gear they are using.

If it works, it works.

• Members

Yep... A few months ago, you couldn't find one. Now there are at least 7-8 up for sale here on the forum. Guess that trend is over!
:)

Thump -

Hype and trend...yeah, thats what it is.

Of the 7-8 that are available , 5 - 6 of them belong to two guys who have 8 or 9 GMW's to begin with and are thinning the herd. One of those two guys bought the bulk of his collection from the OTHER guy... The other GMW is a one off being sold for whatever reason.

This forum in particular may be the all time worst gauge for what's really happening in musicland. Ke^in's statement may be the only thing he's posted that I agree with. Overall, this place is overrun by young lemmings, the other portion made up of largely cool older players who kind of stick with whats with working for them and play what sounds right.

There's a finite number of GMW Stratheads available now - there will be a pool that will change hands, for the most part the owners are hanging on to them. If you can't get them, you can't get them. The same people who have wanted them will continue to get them - but don't confuse three guys selling guitars with people essentially being "over" GMW's.

FWIW - I know you love those guitars and your observation is not a slam on GMW.

Steve E

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

This is why most of the older and mature guys are such Gibson and Fender snobs, right?

Pete

No, they probably are because that is what was available to them when they started. And they play what they know.

And Nostalgia.

Archived