OT: Someone help me by a LAPTOP.

thoughtless0ne

• Members

Hey all.......:D

Ok, I got a pretty decent machine now. YEAH IT A DELL :mad: anyways.

Iam looking to get a Laptop to replace my Desktop PC. I dont do any recording ( well atleast not at the moment but iam sure i will in time). Iam not a gamer. I just surf the net, Burn CDs, Hang out on POGO, and from time to time i guess i use Cakewalk GT PRO and record some stuff.

Iam looking for a GOOD Laptop that can stand up IN or AROUND what i got now. Well i know a lappy wont replace my desktop but i wanna get somewhere close to it.

I got a Dell 3gb 1gig ram P4 desktop.

IAM NOT looking for some cutting edge 10,000 laptop ( ok thats overdoing it)

But you know what i mean.

Something that i can listen to music on, burn CDs, surf the net and lay down a few tracks here and there with GT PRO.

What do you guys suggest?

• Members
Originally posted by HitTheLights23

go apple. you wont go back. the user friendliness is incredible. and prices are getting better.

Apple makes a good laptop for sure, and the learning curve for OSX isn't that bad. They might as well paint the cases yellow and black and market them next to the "for dummies" book series. They could call it "computer for dummies". :D :D :D

• Members
Originally posted by shredhead666

Apple makes a good laptop for sure, and the learning curve for OSX isn't that bad. They might as well paint the cases yellow and black and market them next to the "for dummies" book series. They could call it "computer for dummies".
:D

Yet at the same time as being the easist OS in the world, it's also more powerful than anything Windows has put out IF you are into or get into that sort of thing. In other words... you can do just about anything with it.

• Members

Originally posted by tlester

Yet at the same time as being the easist OS in the world, it's also more powerful than anything Windows has put out IF you are into or get into that sort of thing. In other words... you can do just about anything with it.

Typical Mac-fanboy nonsense. This is untrue. There's nothing you can do in OSX that you can't do in XP. And vice-versa.

• Members

Ill pass on the Macs.

Iam not saying there no good or superior to PCs but.

I find software, games, etc, etc on the internet for PC as opposed to Mac.

Also i want a 17" screen and a 17" mac is just way $$$$$$$

I was looking at the HP website and iam not much of a HP fan ( i had one desktop years ago, damn thing is still running actually) But they are doing a good deal...

Free 2nd battery
Free upgrade to a 256 ATI card
Free wireless upgrade
also a 50.00 ,ail in rebate
Free upgrade to a WXGA+ brightview

Thats a pretty sweet deal, Iam normally hit the dell website for good deals, but man dell doesnt have {censored} as far as deals, freebies or anything going right now.

I dunno how HP lappys are but this is a pretty sweet deal.
Free shipping ( of course)

• Members

Originally posted by thoughtless0ne

Ill pass on the Macs.

I was looking at the HP website and iam not much of a HP fan ( i had one desktop years ago, damn thing is still running actually) But they are doing a good deal...

Free 2nd battery

Free wireless upgrade

Thats a pretty sweet deal, Iam normally hit the dell website for good deals, but man dell doesnt have {censored} as far as deals, freebies or anything going right now.

FWIW, our company is under contract w/ HP so all our desktops are HP. I think they make some pretty nice computers these days - laptops especially.

• Members

Originally posted by shredhead666

Typical Mac-fanboy nonsense. This is untrue. There's nothing you can do in OSX that you can't do in XP. And vice-versa.

Sure there is.... shell scripting out of the box. Can't do this on a windows box. Cron, at, send mail, ed, vi, sed, grep, awk, sendmail, compilers, read, psync, rsync, etc... these are just things that VERY surface stuff. I can go on to deeper stuff, but most on this forum wouldn't understand what I was talking about (not that people here aren't smart, but it's terminology that most probably haven't heard).

yes... some of the above you can BUY and install, but it doesn't come native. And some of it you just flat out can't do.

You've challenged the wrong guy in this argument.

-Tom

• Members

Oh... and hey... Just for the record. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting a Windows PC. For the average person they are fine. I used to have them myself (as a matter of fact, I'm a MS Cerfitied Engineer). I've always done all my "power" stuff on a Sun Microsystems host, runnins Solaris (UNIX). My Windows PC's were just for kids games, surfing the 'Net, and Quicken. Which it does just fine.

That was fine until I got nailed by a MS SQL Server vulnerability and someone was pulling my files of the PC. The only reason I even noticed was because I was monitoring network traffic with one my Solaris hosts and saw the hack in progress. I pulled cable modem out of the wall... coppied my important files off of the Window PC, and shut the PC down. I got on the phone to Apple and ordered a new laptop and never powered up Window in my house again. Now I have my Mac's and my Sun hosts. Nothing else.

But, if you are just running games and surfing, it's a decent way to get an inexpensive computer in your house.

-Tom

• Members

Originally posted by thoughtless0ne

Ill pass on the Macs.

Free 2nd battery

Free wireless upgrade

My brother just bought a HP laptop for school and the thing is fantastic. The brightview screen looks great, the thing is fast enough to play Battlefield 2 on with the graphics pretty high, the built in speakers are pretty nice and the who laptop feels very very sturdy.

• Members

The best PC laptops are IBM Thinkpads, hands down.

They are the most stable, and complete workhorses. If I ever were to replace my desktop with a laptop, I would ONLY go IBM.

My dad works for Garter group and he has done extensive research testing laptop's. Fit and finish, quality, and support IBM is the winner.

• Members

Sure there is.... shell scripting out of the box. Can't do this on a windows box. Cron, at, send mail, ed, vi, sed, grep, awk, sendmail, compilers, read, psync, rsync, etc... these are just things that VERY surface stuff. I can go on to deeper stuff, but most on this forum wouldn't understand what I was talking about (not that people here aren't smart, but it's terminology that most probably haven't heard).

yes... some of the above you can BUY and install, but it doesn't come native. And some of it you just flat out can't do.

-Tom

So defensive over the mac's, jeez.

• Members
Originally posted by martinrr

So defensive over the mac's, jeez.

Nah... not really :) I don't care what a person gets one way or the other. I don't even own any Apple stock (or at least not at the moment). I was just responding to an inaccurate statement. I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers.

• Members

-Tom

Heres a little tip for ya. You know why no one knows what those mean? Because 99.9999% of the people out there don't give 2 {censored}s about using those commands. Game over. You lose. Now go fire up photoshop and open a 300 GB image and brag about it.

-Joe

• Members

Originally posted by OverDriven

Heres a little tip for ya. You know why no one knows what those mean? Because 99.9999% of the people out there don't give 2 {censored}s about using those commands. Game over. You lose. Now go fire up photoshop and open a 300 GB image and brag about it.

-Joe

That's PRECISELY why I said "IF you are into or get into that sort of thing" in my original post. Not everyone is. It's nice to have if you decide you need it. If the user is not, then they simply get a very friendly, powerful computer. If they'll NEVER do that sort of thing, then a Window PC makes a great "surfing" and game box. More games availble for Windows for sure. And if you are into stealing software and music, then Windows is definitely the way to go.

A computer is a tool, not a religion. Get the right tool for the right job.

-Tom

• Members

-Tom

I picked up about 1/2 of what you just said.But then I dont even program.I have some freinds of mine who are much smarter that I ask those types of questions too..mind If ask what you do for a living.??

( Im assuming its computer oriented )..lol..

• Members

I do a couple of things....

As my "9 to 5" I'm a Sr. UNIX Systems Architect. I design enterprise data center infrastructure solutions. I have a background as a UNIX Systems Administrator.

I'm also a recording engineer/producer.

I actually went to school for recording engineering. That was my first career. I was a staff engineer at several studios in New York for many years, then Nashville freelance for a while until I got approached by a "dot-com" to engineer their streaming media concerts (we streamed Brian Adams, Bon Jovi, Brian Setzer, etc... a bunch of concerts). That's what got me into IT. 9-5 hours vs. 3 days straight in the studio without bathing... at the time it was an easy decision.

Now I do both. I work from home, where I have a pre-production studio. I produce 4-6 bands a year right now depending on the complexity of the music. I still freelance as an engineer as well (both tracking and mixing).

I love both gigs. But things are really busy for me. I have more and more bands wanting me to work with them, so I'm going to have to give up the IT thing soon... I do enjoy it though. The pay rocks too ;-) I highly recomend it for anyone who is "technically" creative.

-Tom

Archived