VHT 50/ST (EL34 model) OR Laney GH50L?

RonniePentatonic

• Members

Getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these 2 amps but cant decide. Im playing metal again and need something tight and quick but with crushing distortion also.

The VHT 50/st seems like a great amp, tight, good clean and inbetween tones, good rock tones but I hear it doesnt produce enough gain for metal. If I got this i may boost it with a BOSS OD1 + EQ. Will that get me into the Meshuggah(ish) territory?

The Laney Ive heard good things about, lots of gain, cool voicing, kinda Marshally, but may be lacking bass response and not as tight as a VHT. Much cheaper but also no real clean channel which is kind of important.

I dont want flubby bass or mud, mainly quick response for Meshuggah type riffing and plenty of gain but not death metal. More focused with good note seperation than slop covering mush. The music I'd be using it for is kind of a combination of old school SOD, Anthrax, Slayer tones meets newer stuff, with some clean sections as well.

What would you guys choose, Im leaning toward the VHT 50/st and cant afford a UL or CL.

• Members

Last time I checked the ST and CL were about the same price? FWIW I think the ST (the one I played at least) can pull off metal, but not in a chugga chugga sorta way. Sounds like you'd rather have the CL with the EQ. I'd save a couple hundred bux extra if need be to get the right one. Hell, you're gonna spend $150 on an OD and EQ pedal anyways if you get the ST. The CL's are much easier to find used as well. Not too many peeps have the ST's from wut I've seen.

• Members

Originally posted by moronmountain

Last time I checked the ST and CL were about the same price? FWIW I think the ST (the one I played at least) can pull off metal, but not in a chugga chugga sorta way. Sounds like you'd rather have the CL with the EQ. I'd save a couple hundred bux extra if need be to get the right one. Hell, you're gonna spend $150 on an OD and EQ pedal anyways if you get the ST. The CL's are much easier to find used as well. Not too many peeps have the ST's from wut I've seen.

Yeah, i was thinking that the ST had better cleans and I already have a couple good OD pedals, EQ's etc to boost with . (kinda like a JCM800 thing)

Ive only seen one used CL but it was 1250 + shipping with no reverb or footswitch. everytime Im not looking for a particular amp they are all over at great prices but now theres hardly anything used available. :mad:

I can get an ST shipped with switch for $1100.

• Members

Originally posted by RonniePentatonic

Yeah, i was thinking that the ST had better cleans and I already have a couple good OD pedals, EQ's etc to boost with . (kinda like a JCM800 thing)

Ive only seen one used CL but it was 1250 + shipping with no footswitch. everytime Im not looking for a particular amp they are all over at great prices but now theres hardly anything used available.
:mad:

I can get an ST shipped with switch for $1100.

That's a pretty damn good price. FWIW, I'd love to have an ST, but I don't think it can do what my UL does. I personally think it's a killer rock/80's metal amp, but Messhuga? I'm not too sure about that. It's been so long since I played the ST, but I remember loving it, and thinking that it had JUST enough gain to pull some metal. After playing the ST I bought the UL without having ever played one.

• Members

That's a pretty damn good price. FWIW, I'd love to have an ST, but I don't think it can do what my UL does. I personally think it's a killer rock/80's metal amp, but Messhuga? I'm not too sure about that. It's been so long since I played the ST, but I remember loving it, and thinking that it had JUST enough gain to pull some metal. After playing the ST I bought the UL without having ever played one.

Man, a UL would be so nice, maybe if I sell my Suhr Standard... ;) NOT!

The music Im doing has fast stops and tempo changes like Meshuggah, I want the response for that style of riffage without the fizz they get from thier PODXT's or whatever theyre using now.

If you happen to come across any used CL's would you mind PMing me or posting here? I want to have something before our big Halloween gig.

• Members

I've never tried a 50 CL, but a clip I've heard from HC, it sounded awesome! and I've been kinda GASING for it ever since.

To me, Laney really shines for 80's rock, I know because I've owned a GH50L for 4 yrs.

I'd go for a 50 CL, Laney can get quite brutal too, but not like Meshuggah(Sp?) and it does lack some bottom, if you want some big thump from heavy rhythm playing.

• Members

I own an 50st EL34 with EQ. I've replaced the powertubes with 6L6's, because i prefer that tone.

Now if your guitar has hot PU's it has plenty of gain for metal, a boost pedal doesn't hurt gainwise but IMO takes away some of the tightness. I use a SD Custom Custom and have gain for days with all of it being usable. The 50st is a very responsive amp and has that signature VHT tightness.

As for that Laney what I've heard is that they compress and blur notes together

• Members

Man, a UL would be so nice, maybe if I sell my Suhr Standard...
;)
NOT!

The music Im doing has fast stops and tempo changes like Meshuggah, I want the response for that style of riffage without the fizz they get from thier PODXT's or whatever theyre using now.

If you happen to come across any used CL's would you mind PMing me or posting here? I want to have something before our big Halloween gig.

Heh I would trade a Suhr guitar for a cool amp in a second. I think they're ugly. ;) I don't like strats in general to begin with though, so ............. well y'know. Don't let one gig rush you into getting your 2nd choice amp though man. They'll be lots of other gigs comin up, and wut you have now is prolly working good enough isn't it? Get the CL w/EQ and be done with it for a while. Even if it takes you another month to save up or wutever.

• Members

Originally posted by Loud'n'A-noise

I own an 50st EL34 with EQ. I've replaced the powertubes with 6L6's, because i prefer that tone.

Now if your guitar has hot PU's it has plenty of gain for metal, a boost pedal doesn't hurt gainwise but IMO takes away some of the tightness. I use a SD Custom Custom and have gain for days with all of it being usable. The 50st is a very responsive amp and has that signature VHT tightness.

As for that Laney what I've heard is that they compress and blur notes together

Great info brother. Yeah Ive got some "hot" guitars. BC Rich w/EMG 81 a Jackson with a X2N, Washburn USA w/Custom Custom. Hmmmmm.

*bangs head against wall*

Thanks for the laney info as well, compression and note blur = not good for me.

• Members

Heh I would trade a Suhr guitar for a cool amp in a second. I think they're ugly.
;)
I don't like strats in general to begin with though, so ............. well y'know. Don't let one gig rush you into getting your 2nd choice amp though man. They'll be lots of other gigs comin up, and wut you have now is prolly working good enough isn't it? Get the CL w/EQ and be done with it for a while. Even if it takes you another month to save up or wutever.

Hehe, youre making too much sense here. ;) Dammit if someone doesnt have to ruin my GAS impulse with a bit of sensible logic. :D Im currently using a stock 5150 with the heavy band but the marriage is about over. Cool amp just too noisy and annoying sometimes.

LoudNANoise: Cool pic man and you know i would trust your judgement, this sucks. What kind of stuff are you guys playing, btw?

• Members

Hehe, youre making too much sense here.
;)
Dammit if someone doesnt have to ruin my GAS impulse with a bit of sensible logic.
:D

LoudNANoise: Cool pic man and you know i would trust your judgement, this sucks. What kind of stuff are you guys playing, btw?

Heh sorry man. I would say go with the ST if you would never get rid of it even if you got a CL or UL later on, but I think the EQ is almost a must for you, and then you are getting close to the price of the CL anyways right? I mean the price you were quoted is prolly w/out EQ yes? Plus VHT's seem to lose value a ton faster if they don't have the EQ, and it basically gives the amp a 3rd channel. It's better than putting one in front of the amp IMO. Where ever VHT put the EQ in the signal chain, I think it's THE right spot to have it. I love the ST, and I would own one in a second, BUT I already have a UL and Uberschall so....................

• Members

Heh sorry man. I would say go with the ST if you would never get rid of it even if you got a CL or UL later on, but I think the EQ is almost a must for you, and then you are getting close to the price of the CL anyways right? I mean the price you were quoted is prolly w/out EQ yes? Plus VHT's seem to lose value a ton faster if they don't have the EQ, and it basically gives the amp a 3rd channel. It's better than putting one in front of the amp IMO. Where ever VHT put the EQ in the signal chain, I think it's THE right spot to have it. I love the ST, and I would own one in a second, BUT I already have a UL and Uberschall so....................

You are correct sir...No EQ. That might be the killer. I guess I'll slow down a bit and scour the world for a good price on a CL.

I really appreciate all you guys' help. :)

• Members

Never played the VHT 50/st, but I can tell you the Laney doesn't lack bass in the least. It basically sounds like a boosted JCM800. The clean is pretty dull and lifeless though. The overdrive is amazing. Think Opeth in a box.

And FWIW, the GH50L sells on eBay for roughly $400-500 USD. That's definitely cheaper than $1200. LOL!

• Members

Originally posted by shredhead666

Never played the VHT 50/st, but I can tell you the Laney doesn't lack bass in the least. It basically sounds like a boosted JCM800. The clean is pretty dull and lifeless though. The overdrive is amazing. Think Opeth in a box.

And FWIW, the GH50L sells on eBay for roughly $400-500 USD. That's definitely cheaper than $1200. LOL!

Compared to a VHT, the JCM 800 has zero bass or tightness though. ;) F the price. $1,200 is a really resonable price to pay for something that he may have forever. (If he ends up finding a used one that is.)

• Members

Hehe, youre making too much sense here.
;)
Dammit if someone doesnt have to ruin my GAS impulse with a bit of sensible logic.
:D
Im currently using a stock 5150 with the heavy band but the marriage is about over. Cool amp just too noisy and annoying sometimes.

Everything that Rocks including Hendrix, Kiss, Van Halen Pantera, Slayer, Rob Zombie and Metallica.

• Members

Not much help here, but I was pretty impressed with the GH50 I played in the store the other day and for the price you can get them for, they seem like a great deal. However I've never played a VHT but only hear great things about them. I suppose if you could get the VHT for that price, that's probably what you should do. I'm just a hard rock guy so the Laney would be great for me. Good Luck.

• Members

Compared to a VHT, the JCM 800 has zero bass or tightness though.
;)
F the price. $1,200 is a really resonable price to pay for something that he may have forever. (If he ends up finding a used one that is.)

The VHT is a bass amp then?!? I can safely say having gigged with a GH50L about 15 times in various venues that the bass is definitely NOT lacking. Our bassist uses an 8x10 btw! You can still hear the guitar's bass over that rig. It blends well. I think anymore bass would be positively ridiculous.

Seems like he's already talked himself into getting a VHT. I'm sure they're great amps.

Archived