VHT 50/ST (EL34 model) OR Laney GH50L?

RonniePentatonic

• Members

Originally posted by RonniePentatonic

Great info brother. Yeah Ive got some "hot" guitars. BC Rich w/EMG 81 a Jackson with a X2N, Washburn USA w/Custom Custom. Hmmmmm.

*bangs head against wall*

Thanks for the laney info as well, compression and note blur = not good for me.

I think you should try the Laney yourself if at all possible. This "note blur" business has NOT been my experience. I've got a VC50, which has the lead channel of the GH50. I find it VERY articulate, much more so than my Mesa Heartbreaker or Fender Prosonic. Your mileage may vary, but my experience has been pretty much the opposite, whether tubing with 5881s or EL34s.

• Members

Originally posted by JLeurck

I think you should try the Laney yourself if at all possible. This "note blur" business has NOT been my experience. I've got a VC50, which has the lead channel of the GH50. I find it VERY articulate, much more so than my Mesa Heartbreaker or Fender Prosonic. Your mileage may vary, but my experience has been pretty much the opposite, whether tubing with 5881s or EL34s.

I really , really wish I had the opportunity to try out the Laney and both VHT's first, that would make the decision easy. Unfortunately, even though I live in a big metropolis, there is none of the above available to play through.

So I have to rely on clips, recommendations, reviews, and luck.

Know where I could find any Laney clips?

• Members

Originally posted by Beergoblin

Theres a VHT 50 CL on ebay with a BIN of 1250, current bid of 800 ending in a day and a half....if I didn't just buy two new Engls I'd be all over it.

Item #7353481929

Yeah, I'm watching that one, no footswitch but thats no big deal. Theres also a 50/ST with EQ and reverb for $989 B.I.N. which is tempting but I think Im gonna follow the forums advice and go for the CL .

Thanks for the heads up!

thanks also HellBites for the Laney info, the MOP reference means a lot. I like that tone & would like to think whatever amp I choose can at least come close to MOP tone among others. Im starting to think that if I was playing doom/stoner {censored} the Laney would be the way to go, but not for the faster riffing and stops, etc...

• Members

LOL!
:D

You guys arent making this easy. Maybe I'll just sell my car and get one of each?

Shredhead, is there any clean to speak of on the GH50L or are we talking 5150 cleans. (yuck)

Yeah, Im leaning toward VHT but who knows, Im trying to think this one through completely.

It's better than a 5150's cleans, but not by much. The best way to get a clean out of it is to set the thing for an AC/DC kinda sound and back off the volume knob.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by acev

This was recorded with Laney VH100r and I think a marshall 4x12.

Its just some bands demo..not even recorded in pro studio, but sounds quite good, tight, bassy and brutal
:)

http://www.arthor.fi/stuff/Dauntless-War_Without_Blood.mp3

Cool clip, sounded very good!

Heres the update:

I GOT ONE OF EACH! The VHT Ive had for a week now and is the best amp Ive ever played. Whoever doesnt think the 50/ST can do modern higain metal well is NUTS! With my Duncan JB loaded PRS it just kills. With a clean boost pedal it really can get deep into extreme territory. And heres the kicker, it has a great & true clean channel which was a big factor in me choosing the 50/st over the CL. Tons of features, nice reverb, cool footswitch options, just a very well engineered well thought out design.

The Laney GH50L I picked up for $450 and should be here any day, got that one as a backup and possible replacement for the 5150...Might keep all 3 but after playing the VHT, the 5150 might be expendable. No comparison really, the 5150 sounds like a wounded sheep compared to the VHT, and I played them both side by side. You can now consider me fully on the VHT bandwagon.

Thanks SteveVHT and LoudNANoise for giving me some confidence to try out the 50/ST. Im really suprised this amp doesnt get talked about more.

• Members

Heres the update:

I GOT ONE OF EACH!

{censored}in' Ay! That's what we like to hear!

Hey let us know how you like the Laney when it comes in. I really want to play through a VHT UL sometime. They seem like they'd be pretty cool from all the clips I hear.

• Members

Originally posted by shredhead666

{censored}in' Ay! That's what we like to hear!

Hey let us know how you like the Laney when it comes in. I really want to play through a VHT UL sometime. They seem like they'd be pretty cool from all the clips I hear.

Sure will bro!

Hope you get to check out a UL sometime, I'll probably wind up doing some A/B comparison clips of the VHT 50/ST, Laney GH50L and the 5150 some time soon. The 50/ST is a BEAST. Played it again at practice tonight and everyone was blown away by it. Heavy as hell and perfect in a mix.

• Members

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz

VHT all the way. No disrespect to Laney but these 2 amps are not in the same class imho

I have a 50 CL w/EQ and its a killer amp.

Keep in mind if you get the CL you really do not have a clean channel per se, two similar voiced drive channels.

I bet it is a killer amp! {censored}, I might just sell some more neglected gear and pick up a CL to A/B on stage with the ST. :freak:

Use the ST for cleans and both fror drive...

• Members

laney's are known to be bright amps but you can certainly tame it down. you'll have to do a little tweaking but I heard the GH series require less than my Vh100. Other than that they are loud!!! And cuts through the mix with ease. I've never had a problem not being heard from my band even with my volume around 2-3 it's really already.

• Members

Cool clip, sounded very good!

Heres the update:

I GOT ONE OF EACH! The VHT Ive had for a week now and is the best amp Ive ever played. Whoever doesnt think the 50/ST can do modern higain metal well is NUTS! With my Duncan JB loaded PRS it just kills. With a clean boost pedal it really can get deep into extreme territory. And heres the kicker, it has a great & true clean channel which was a big factor in me choosing the 50/st over the CL. Tons of features, nice reverb, cool footswitch options, just a very well engineered well thought out design.

The Laney GH50L I picked up for $450 and should be here any day, got that one as a backup and possible replacement for the 5150...Might keep all 3 but after playing the VHT, the 5150 might be expendable. No comparison really, the 5150 sounds like a wounded sheep compared to the VHT, and I played them both side by side. You can now consider me fully on the VHT bandwagon.

Thanks SteveVHT and LoudNANoise for giving me some confidence to try out the 50/ST. Im really suprised this amp doesnt get talked about more.

Ain't that the truth:)

• 2 months later...

Archived