quick 5150 question

naskonja

• Members

Originally posted by phyrexia

So, I have never played a 5150 or really heard recordings...are these things really that good sounding? Somebody gimme some links or some clips or some album names...

Thanks

Carcass ''Heartwork''. In Flames ''Clayman'', I don't know for sure if they played 5150's before that album. Something tells me they did. Machine Head all albums. I think the first Children of Bodom album??? Of course Arch Enemy is all about 5150's except for the new hideous album. God Forbid uses them too or used too before the Krank switch.

• Members

i turn the pre gain to around 8 when im jamming, anything past that overcompresses and muddy a bit, if im playing a show and turn post gain past 6 i can turn it to 10 without any problem. The buzzyness is the nature of the amp, which is a supercrunchy fry in ur face tone that really cuts. many complain its not heavy or bassy enough, but if thats the case the 5150 isnt the right amp for those ppl.

here my settings for the crunchiest ever hardcore tone:
low 8-10(the more volume the more i turn it up)
mid 0
high 9-10(more volume the less i turn it up since amps get more agressive with more volume as u know)
Presence 10(this gives the most agresiveness)
Resonance 10
pre Gain 8-10(the more volume the more i turn it up)
all on the lead channel

• Members

Originally posted by wanky

i turn the pre gain to around 8 when im jamming, anything past that overcompresses and muddy a bit, if im playing a show and turn post gain past 6 i can turn it to 10 without any problem. The buzzyness is the nature of the amp, which is a supercrunchy fry in ur face tone that really cuts. many complain its not heavy or bassy enough, but if thats the case the 5150 isnt the right amp for those ppl.

here my settings for the crunchiest ever hardcore tone:

low 8-10(the more volume the more i turn it up)

mid 0

high 9-10(more volume the less i turn it up since amps get more agressive with more volume as u know)

Presence 10(this gives the most agresiveness)

Resonance 10

pre Gain 8-10(the more volume the more i turn it up)

all on the lead channel

Hahahhahaahahahahahahaa... Awesome. You just countered every single tweaking point I've heard when people discuss the 5150.

• Members
Originally posted by ChS

Gonna have to give those settings a spin in a moment since I have my 5150 right next to me.
:cool:

Oh goodness. Be careful ChS the brutal heaviness might cause your head to explode!

edit - and by head I mean the one above your shoulders as well as your 5150!

• Members

Originally posted by Inearthed

Oh goodness. Be careful ChS the brutal heaviness might cause your head to explode!

edit - and by head I mean the one above your shoulders as well as your 5150!

I always say amps can never be too brutal/brewtal sounding and this is no exception.

• Members

Originally posted by ChS

I always say amps can never be too brutal/brewtal sounding and this is no exception.

The trve brvtail setting for the 5150 involves a MT-2 in the effects loop with the gain dimed and everything else dimed except the mids, which are obviously at zero and about 3 MT-2's daisy chained together in front of the amp with the gain dimed and varying scooped settings.

• Members

Originally posted by Inearthed

The trve brvtail setting for the 5150 involves a MT-2 in the effects loop with the gain dimed and everything else dimed except the mids, which are obviously at zero and about 3 MT-2's daisy chained together in front of the amp with the gain dimed and varying scooped settings.

That's crazy talk, Metalzone's kill your tone! We all know 5150s don't have enough gain as is, so I like to dime everything on the 5150 and run a Bad Monkey in front with all the controls maxed out which gives it a sweet bass and treble boost and gain, Digitech were smart and left out the {censored}ty Mid control. For the FX loop the Zoom 505 of course, it has some sweet EQ mid sweep settings to further shape the tone to brutality.

• Members
Originally posted by ChS

That's crazy talk, Metalzone's kill your tone! We all know 5150s don't have enough gain as is, so I like to dime everything on the 5150 and run a Bad Monkey in front with all the controls maxed out which gives it a sweet bass and treble boost and gain, Digitech were smart and left out the {censored}ty Mid control. For the FX loop the Zoom 505 of course, it has some sweet EQ mid sweep settings to further shape the tone to brutality.

actually a metal zone sounds bad ass through a 5150 as a boost.. so clear and defined. obviously no maxing the gain on anything but u should try it!

• Members

I run mine at exactly 4 and its PLENTY for anything including metal. I used to run at 6 and everytime I would stop playing (post at about 3.5) it would just squeal like pig. Now that I'm running it lower, the tone sounds fatter and I can easily make notes bloom into gorgeous feedback or make the amp completely shutup. 4 may seem low, but 4 on the 5150 is still more gain than most amps have on 10!

-Joe

• Members

Originally posted by leelee

My pre-gain is usually aroud 5-6, but the highest I've been with my post is around 2-3. I'm usually @ 0.5-1 when i'm jamming with a drummer and a 2nd guitarist!

How do you guys get it up to 4's!?

Here are my settings when playing with my band:

Lead Pre: 6

Lead Post: 4

Bass: 5-6

Mids: 3-4

Treb: 5-6

Res: 5-6

Pres: 6-7

I use Mesa Standard and / or Oversized Rectifier Cabs.

Note: I play in a VERY loud and aggressive band with a hard hitting drummer. Hope this helps.

Archived