Anyone using an Ampeg Jet, Super Jet or Reverb-rocket

Mikeo

• Members

I have no amp in my living room and took a look at getting a Fender Blues Jr, which has plenty of power. I also feel that I may need to p grade the speaker and the tubes, so I'm kicking around the isead od a

Ampeg Super Jet, a Jet or a Reverb-rocket. I have read the HC reviews and there's some mixed feelings. The Jet has 15 watts, but no master volume, the otheres look about the same size, but are 50 wats of class a/b power, yet stil may work.

are these amps sweet or not that great. I would just order from Musican's Friend or Sam Ash, yet I would like to hear one first.

Cool Amps or do they not sound great out of the box.

I also kicked around the isdea of a LES Paul Jr amp by Gibson, with the 8 inch speaker. I'm a bit torn.

Another contender might be a Rivera clubmaster.

Sugestions

• Members

I work in a shop and have tried the Ampeg's. They are really sweet sounding, very clean at bedroom volume. The Gibson is really more for a distorted bedroom tone, very vintage blues type disto. Peavey classic 30 is pretty nice too.

• Members

Originally posted by Mikeo

I have no amp in my living room and took a look at getting a Fender Blues Jr, which has plenty of power. I also feel that I may need to p grade the speaker and the tubes, so I'm kicking around the isead od a

Ampeg Super Jet, a Jet or a Reverb-rocket. I have read the HC reviews and there's some mixed feelings. The Jet has 15 watts, but no master volume, the otheres look about the same size, but are 50 wats of class a/b power, yet stil may work.

are these amps sweet or not that great. I would just order from Musican's Friend or Sam Ash, yet I would like to hear one first.

Cool Amps or do they not sound great out of the box.

I also kicked around the isdea of a LES Paul Jr amp by Gibson, with the 8 inch speaker. I'm a bit torn.

Another contender might be a Rivera clubmaster.

Sugestions

I have a '68 Jet, and it is truly a sweet-sounding amp!

The tone isn't as bright as a Fender amp, and has no reverb (use a Holy Grail or similar reverb pedal), but it does have a very natural-sounding tremolo, and is footswitchable. Also has a 12" speaker. And it's PTP wired.

It's great for jazz or blues! It also likes OD/distortion pedals.

I've had a couple of the Ampeg reissues and was not nearly as impressed with them as I am with the 37 y/o Jet.

• Members

I have a V-50H head, which is supposedly more or less the same circuit as the Superjet but it uses EL34s instead of 6L6s. It's a good amp. I like the clean tones/mildly overdriven tones the best--it gets a certain sizzle that can be a little too much when cranked all the way up. For the price I paid, which was under $300, I'd buy it again.

I recorded this song with it. It's cranked about to the max and it has the built-in gain boost on.

• Members

I had a SuperJet 12T, but I didn't like it too much. I should have tried changing the tubes, but I sold it instead. It had a great tremolo though. The old Ampegs are much better. I have heard the Jet amps sound better, but I haven't tried one.

• 10 months later...

Archived