is a 5150/6505 in the same ballpark as a JCM800?

markuz j

• Members

EL34's!!!! Who would've thought! It sounds so "American" to me, I thought it couldn't be EL34's. Cool.

The important thing to remember is that the amp is modded, which of course changes the tone but on top of that they scooped the mids on the EQ strip at mixdown and that heavily colors/alters the tone as well.

Our other guitarist has a modded 100w JMP w/ EL34's, can't wait to hear how it sounds paired with my Mark III .

Sounds cool, who modded his Marshall or what mods did he have done?

Have a great Wednesday morning! :)

Trace

• Members

Originally posted by Voodoo Amps

Sounds cool, who modded his Marshall or what mods did he have done?

Have a great Wednesday morning!
:)
Trace

It was modded by Chris @ CMW Amps. I know you know him :D

Chris put in a MM OT, completely recapped the amp (the blue bottles replaced by black ones) modded the tone stack, added a stacked mid-pot with very broad range, put in some EL34B-STRs, and some new preamp tubes. The amp really shines now, it's only waiting for replacement ohm and volt selector switches, 'cause the old ones are pretty dodgy, the jumper would rattle out, so suddenly your sound would be gone. Took some time for us to figure that one out...

It would be extremely cool if he could do voodoo mods too, a lot of euro guys would be happy to bypass the shipping costs. Maybe you should drink a few Heineken's over that?? :D

• Members

It was modded by Chris @ CMW Amps. I know you know him

Yes I do know Chris personally. He happened to be visiting us during the 9/11 attacks. As all air flights were grounded for several weeks he as well as his wife stayed with my wife and I until they were able to fly out.

Chris put in a MM OT, completely recapped the amp (the blue bottles replaced by black ones) modded the tone stack, added a stacked mid-pot with very broad range, put in some EL34B-STRs, and some new preamp tubes. The amp really shines now, it's only waiting for replacement ohm and volt selector switches, 'cause the old ones are pretty dodgy, the jumper would rattle out, so suddenly your sound would be gone. Took some time for us to figure that one out...

It's best to replace them or at least hard wire the output to the speaker jacks so it's safe. There's nothing like having that pop out when your playing (ha, ha)

It would be extremely cool if he could do voodoo mods too, a lot of euro guys would be happy to bypass the shipping costs. Maybe you should drink a few Heineken's over that??

I hear you my friend (ha, ha). While we have considered the idea of licensing our mods and after giving much thought to it we have chosen not to do so (for a wide variety of reasons).

We have discussed the idea of flying to Holland and using CMW Amps as our home base to perform mods for over seas customers. We cannot it happen this year as we have too much on our plate for the remainder of this year but it may be a possibility for the following year but we would have to have X amount of confirmed appointments ahead of time.

We have just signed up with a very aggressive UPS International Shipping program so shipping is a lot cheaper now than it was prior and that may make it more feasible for you. We currently ship internationally once a week as of right now (regarding mods that is).

Hope it helps

Trace

• Members

Thanks for your elaborate reply, Trace.

I don't know Chris personally, but he seems an ok guy. We rewired the wires from the 16 ohm tap straight to the output and it's working fine for now.

Keep the board informed of future plans of working from Europe for a while. I can get my hands om some old marshalls that could profit from a Hex cirquit :)

• Members

Hi Symen (Jan?) and Trace

It's a bummer from those plug-in-selectors, did order a bunch and the ones for your great Marshall will be send after pulling the shipment from the ups-guy's arms :)

Trace is one of the nicest people I know in the amp-world. My wife and I were (and still are) very glad Trace and his wife did take care of us during those 9-11 days.

It would be a great thing to have a "VoodooWeek" over here.

Back to my bench...

Archived