is a 5150/6505 in the same ballpark as a JCM800?

markuz j

• Members

Setup as OverDriven described and EQ'd properly, yes, the 5150 can sound very close to the JCM800. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference but there are differences. I had a Marshall JMP 50 watt head w/ 4x12 cab and a 5150 combo. Side by side, you can tweak it to be pretty close. The 5150 always had a bit more "girth" to the tone, fuller and tigher low end. The cool thing was that I could tweak the 5150 to be what I had always wanted the JMP to sound like.

• Members

i heard that the 5150/6505 can get pretty close to sounding like a JCM800 but maybe with a little more gain!? is there any truth to this or are they basically completly different amps!? let me know your opinions on this

The JCM800 and 5150/6505 are completely different amps in a great many ways. In other words it's apples and oranges meaning one is not going to sound like the other.

For what ever it's worth

Trace

• Members

Originally posted by markuz j

i heard that the 5150/6505 can get pretty close to sounding like a JCM800 but maybe with a little more gain!? is there any truth to this or are they basically completly different amps!? let me know your opinions on this

Yes, the 5150 can get close to a JCM800 tone. The 5150 is based off a modded Marshall circuit. As mentioned above, rhythm channel with the crunch on and the gain kept low enough will sound like a JCM800. The 6L6's in the 5150 will make it a bit tighter and bigger in the bottom end but they'll get close enough for my ears. To the guys with sonic dog ears it won't be close enough, but most of them aren't happy with any amp anyway! :eek:

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

Yes, the 5150 can get close to a JCM800 tone. The 5150 is based off a modded Marshall circuit. As mentioned above, rhythm channel with the crunch on and the gain kept low enough will sound like a JCM800. The 6L6's in the 5150 will make it a bit tighter and bigger in the bottom end but they'll get close enough for my ears. To the guys with sonic dog ears it won't be close enough, but most of them aren't happy with any amp anyway!
:eek:
Jerry

:D

you hit the nail on the head JerryP. i have hardly any hearing :( ...i guess that's why i love my 5150II.;)

m/

• Members

I recorded with Paul Curcio several times (producer, owned GFI studios in Rochester NY where Kill'em All was recorded) and according to him it the Marshalls were modded by a gentleman in LA (possibly Jose A but I cannot confirm that for sure). The amp used EL34's and they scooped the mids on the recording console at mixdown.

Hope it helps

Trace

• Members

for God sakes stop scooping mids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The gentleman asked so I gave him the info he was asking for. Nothing more, nothing less. We do not advocate scooping mids but the fact of the matter is the Kill'em All record has some seriously scooped mids. Again I was simply giving him the info he requested.

For what it's worth;

Trace

• Members

thanx for all the replies! in pretty close to gettin my 6505 then! i will trade in my worthless XXX and see how much i can get for it and then pay the rest for the 6505! ive had the xxx for about 4 years now and i hate it! i was never Ever 100% satisfied with it no matter what i did or how i tweaked it! i will miss not having a clean channel or a footswitchable clean channel but damn, im more into Metal and the distortion counts the most! and the XXX the distortion definetly aint metal enough!

• Members

Originally posted by Voodoo Amps

I recorded with Paul Curcio several times (producer, owned GFI studios in Rochester NY where Kill'em All was recorded) and according to him it the Marshalls were modded by a gentleman in LA (possibly Jose A but I cannot confirm that for sure). The amp used EL34's and they scooped the mids on the recording console at mixdown.

Hope it helps

Trace

EL34's!!!! Who would've thought! It sounds so "American" to me, I thought it couldn't be EL34's. Cool. Our other guitarist has a modded 100w JMP w/ EL34's, can't wait to hear how it sounds paired with my Mark III :D:D:D.

Archived