Sam Ash offer

cincy

• Members

Originally posted by cincy

So you think that was a fair offer? It was for a used traded in 5150. The Peavey was listed at 750 used.

no its not a fair offer.

but my point is, is that large store like GC or sam ash will ever give you anything close to market value for your used gear.

• Members

Yea we all know how they are, but they aren't into fair trades, they're into making money. So they offer below used value for your gear so they can resell it and make a few bucks off it. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth the trouble for them to be a convenient outlet for you to move your gear with no gain on their end. I'm not defending them, but I sure know why they do what they do, which is why sell my {censored} on ebay or forums and don't try to trade it in.

• Members

thats probably what you will get quoted at most stores, lists for 1049, used resale is around 500-550, then wholesale avg condition is around 250, standard stuff, you should expect that, stores have to make money too, but {censored} sam ash seriously

• Members

Most people there are pretty clueless. I went down to GC the other day to possibly trade in my LP (I'm very glad it didn't work out) and I told the guy UP FRONT what I wanted to trade for. JS-1000 Ibanez. They're asking $1200 for it and another local shop wants $1000 for the exact same guitar so I know they didn't give that much for it.
The guy takes my guitar to the back and comes back and say's

"We can only give you $550 for it because it's only a standard and we sell them new for $1199."

So I said "Bull{censored}! Show me one of the wall new for $1199! There's one RIGHT THERE for $2199."

The bastard had the nerve to say "No that's a custom."

and I pointed out to him from a distance that there is no way because it's got trapazoid inlays and no pick guard. Then I pointed out that my guitar was a standard plus which is equivalent to the premium plus today and he said "I just looked the serial number up and it's just a standard." so I asked what year and he said "2001" so I informed him that Gibson didn't make a non Plus standard with a flame top in '01 so it had to be a PLUS because it obviously had a flame top! Then he said

"Well what do you want to do."

and I said "You can stick that guitar up your ass for all I care." and walked out.

The prick pissed me off my insulting my intelligence trying to make me think I had a STUDIO since they generally sell for $1199 new. Then tried to tell me what my own guitar was and even suggested that I bought it USED because I had a TKL case instead of a Gibson case. I chose the TKL over the Gibson because for one I don't like the tweed and that's all they had at the time and two I don't like advertising for people to steal my guitar...what could that be in that case that say's Gibson over there??? Either an SG or a LP and either are very stealable...

• Members

Originally posted by cincy

It helps to know, I mean really know what the values are on items.

Sounds like you knew very well.

I knew very well what it was worth and they would have came out ahead since they sell used standards for $1500 and I've seen a few in there from time to time. Like I said though, I'm glad it didn't work out because my LP is really nice and from what I understand it's pretty hard to find a good LP these days and the flame top is nicer than any of the premium plus's they had on the wall by far. I need a new set of pickups for it since the Dimarzion's are not what I want anymore. I'm thinking Barknuckle Warpigs and I'm sure they will not only sound amazing but raise the value of the guitar.

Archived