Any love for the Yammy P-90?

Pr3Va1L

• Members

So, I need a digital piano for music school next semester and I've been looking around a bit for what would best suit me..

I know a few people who have the P-80 and I really dig that board. Most of the sounds are usable (Mind you, I only use a few of those... Church organ isn't the most interesting sound for jazz/rock) and the action is rather good enough.

What about the P-90? Are the sounds at least as good? I know there's half the piano sounds but are they any better than the ones on the P-80?

And what about the EPs?

The only one I found really usable was the EP2 variation.. Is there at least a similar sound available?

Thanks a lot guys! :wave:

• Members

I am NOT looking for the best quality possible at any price, or I would be getting something else.. Something like a Nord Stage or a Kurz or something.

But I have a good price on a P-90, and I'd been thinking the P-80 would do the job.

The question, I guess, really is this: Is the P-90 better or worse than the P-80 for the action and the sound.

Thanks a lot!

• Members

I believe the P-90 has different, updated , "better" piano samples. I personally preferred the sound of the p80, but that's entirely subjective. I also found an EP on the p80 that worked for me as well as an organ.... not so on the p90. Again, entirely subjective.

Some of those P series don't have line outs! I think the p90 might be one of the culprits. You might want to look into that. Seriously, I can't even consider a board that only has headphone outs.

• Members

If you like the P80 you'll love the P90 IMO. The P80 depends heavily on stereo sound reproduction, more so than the P90/120. I used a P80 on a festival gig one time and summed to mono it was pure mud. I saw boogie-woogie phenom Eden Brent using one at a small club gig and she also complained to me that it sounded muddy.

However the P80 can have a very sweet sound when recorded in stereo . Orangefunk (prior to his self-imposed exile from HC) put up a solo clip of his P80 and it sounded great.

The action of your friend's P80 may be noticeably heavier than that of a P90 or later period P120. If so, it will do a better job of keeping up finger strength for playing a real grand.

• Members

I have loads of love for the P90. It doesn't make a very good master keyboard but as a light, portable, reasonably priced stage piano that does't compromise on sound quality and key feel, it's nearly impossible to beat.

• Members

I don't know, sorry. But it's a really good board. I used it for a couple of practises and was highly satisfied. Action is really heavy, but if you like the 80 you should be fine.

I for myself am looking into getting a CP33 right now :)

• Members

I had the P-120 briefly, but the action was too stiff.

I then bought the P-90, but the Rhodes sucked and the Wurli was ghastly.

Bought a S-90, but editing was a hassle and it was heavy.

Have a Nord Stage 76 now and it pleases me no end.

• Members

Yamaha replaced my too-stiff P120 keybed free of charge. I had had some broken keys but not any more than would be expected for a heavy-handed player (at least on the Jim Beam + Skynard gigs). The new keybed is that of the P70 and it's great- lighter and totally durable.

One overlooked aspect of the P90- Piano #2 is brighter and similar to that of the P200 (which in it's own right is a magnificent stage piano). Stick with the P-series and you won't go wrong IMO. You'll have a nice, punchy fat-bandwidth piano sound that cuts through the mix better than Kurz or Roland stuff (haven't compared to GM or recent Nord). And the company stands behind it's product like no other.

• Members

I had the P-120 briefly, but the action was too stiff.

I then bought the P-90, but the Rhodes sucked and the Wurli was ghastly.

Bought a S-90, but editing was a hassle and it was heavy.

Have a Nord Stage 76 now and it pleases me no end.

As I said, I'd go for a Nord myself, if it didn't cost exactly 5 times the price I'm getting on a P-90...

• Members

I have a p90. I also have a Kurz PC2R.

I went to a studio to record some tracks. First night I used the Kurzweil PC2R with the P90 as the keyboard controller;. Second night I was lazy and didn't hook up the PC2R in between. Within 2 takes, the producer asks me if I'm using the same sound as the night before. I said no, and He could tell, and told me to put back the Kurz as the sound generator, because it was fuller and better.

IMHO, the P90 has a fair piano sound, and pretty sucky other sounds, but it took me a few years to get bored with them. I'm back to my Kurzweil for a while, because the piano is just so much better. I will drag the P90 around for a keyboard if I need great action, but I'm just as happy with a cheap keyboard controller when I play gigs out on the beach.

Archived