JJ or S.E.D. 6L6s in a JSX?

meanstreet

• Members

I'm looking to try out some 6L6s in my JSX. When I had a XXX, I was one of the few people that seemed to prefer 6L6s over EL34s in that amp. While I love the tone of the JSX with the EL34s, comments from the likes of Badtoneo and Greazygeo about the JSX with 6L6s have me intrigued!! So which 6L6s would you recommend? JJ, SEDs or something else?

• Members

My XXX really sounded good with JJ 6L6s and I was ready to order some for the JSX, but I've also read some very good reviews of the SEDs which is what got me thinking about giving them a try. Has anyone tried the SEDs in a JSX (or any other amp for that matter)?

• Members

I recently put JJ6L6's in my JSX. Last night I put the EL34's back in just to see if I really liked the JJ's better. The JJ's are awesome in the JSX! I can't comment on the SED's as I've only run them in a Boogie F-50 (I really liked them). They are a huge improvement over the EH EL34's.

• Members

Originally posted by LithiumZero

I recently put JJ6L6's in my JSX. Last night I put the EL34's back in just to see if I really liked the JJ's better. The JJ's are awesome in the JSX! I can't comment on the SED's as I've only run them in a Boogie F-50 (I really liked them). They are a huge improvement over the EH EL34's.

just out of curiosity, I liked the JJ 6l6gc's way more than the stock ones in my XXX so maybe the JJ el34's sound way better than the eh el34's in there too? I have only used the JJ e34l's in my XXX so I don't know how it reacts to other el34s.

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

just out of curiosity, I liked the JJ 6l6gc's way more than the stock ones in my XXX so maybe the JJ el34's sound way better than the eh el34's in there too? I have only used the JJ e34l's in my XXX so I don't know how it reacts to other el34s.

Oh man, don't get me thinking! I just spent $60 bucks on the 6L6's. I'm just gear queer enough to drop more money on tubes just to find out. :(

• Members

Oh man, don't get me thinking! I just spent $60 bucks on the 6L6's. I'm just gear queer enough to drop more money on tubes just to find out.
:(

well if you weren't 1800 miles away I would tell you to bring your head over and we could find out! I'm about due for a tube change myself, i'm 90% sure i'm sticking with JJ's but I might go with the traditional el34's next time.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

well if you weren't 1800 miles away I would tell you to bring your head over and we could find out! I'm about due for a tube change myself, i'm 90% sure i'm sticking with JJ's but I might go with the traditional el34's next time.

I'll be in Des Moines in January for the Iowa Grape Growers Convention but I think the JSX wouldn't be to fun to carry through the airport! Maybe we can hook up just to hang out. I was there last January and had a great time. My liver hurt for a week!

• Members

I'll be in Des Moines in January for the Iowa Grape Growers Convention but I think the JSX wouldn't be to fun to carry through the airport! Maybe we can hook up just to hang out. I was there last January and had a great time. My liver hurt for a week!

sure, look me up. We most likely will have some shows lined up in January so you can check my band out. If not we can get together and hopefully check out some of the other local acts, depending on what kind of music you are into Des Moines has some really good bands. They have a lot of really bad ones too :)

• Members

Originally posted by TOStudent

Hey Sordid1,

Call Doug at Doug's tubes.

I ordered both preamp and power tubes and he had a lot of good info on what tubes worked good with Peavey amps specifically.

can't wait to try some stuff out.

yeah, i'm going with him next time. I ordered a preamp tube from him and it's great! I'm pretty positive i'm going with the jj el34's this time because they are supposed to be a bit smoother than the e34l's and I don't need half the low end the amp has in the first place.

Archived