I think I want a more classic Marshall sound...anybody selling/trading?

ratter

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

Basically, yeah. I will have to do a clip later that demonstrates where I'm at and what I'm missing. I can cop the tone of that clip above in terms of gain level and smoothness and overall vibe, but when you a/b them there is just a very noticeable "something" going on in the midrange of the plankton clip that I have only ever heard from plankton, Hendrix, Cream, etc. It's that kind of howly tone in the midrange. {censored}, it might even be the guitar and/or pickups or mic or who knows, but it's definitely there and I can't figure out how to get it. Might even be cone cry, but I don't know if this clip was recorded at a real loud volume or not.

It's funny you mention the midrange ....... the 122 has a mid boost button on the clean channel . Anyway it's just a very versatile amp . I also agree with the fact that it might be the pickups .... probably some real old strat with superwound pickups

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by telephant

Well, you have a strat right? What kind of pickups do you have in it?

Id honestly be willing to bet that the midrange thing you hear is the NMV Marshall. Though Ive been proven wrong before!
;)

when I listen to that Plankton clip, its a very familiar sound. Sounds like my Superbass, or a Plexi. I know around '71 they started adding treble (gain) to the superleads. So maybe a 70's Superlead would be a bad suggestion. I do know the Superbass' made through out the 70's were a lot closer to the original plexi (darker) because they didnt need to add treble to a bass amp. Or so Ive been told.

Now that clip sounds a bit dark, which is why I was thinking Superbass or Plexi...

Yes, I have a stock '62 reissue strat. That's what gets me closest to the tone. Bridge pickup at first, then it sounds like he switches to the neck pickup when he hits that hammer-on right before the first little fast ascending lick in the clip.

You might be right and it might just be the amp. What year is your amp?

• Members

Originally posted by GRIFF10672

It's funny you mention the midrange ....... the 122 has a mid boost button on the clean channel . Anyway it's just a very versatile amp . I also agree with the fact that it might be the pickups .... probably some real old strat with superwound pickups

Yeah, the plankton guys are using old guitars and speakers too, from what I understand. Just making it that much harder...

• Members

ps - that clip is a demo of a pedal called the Fetto. So he's running that pedal into an amp that I assume is an old Marshall. But I've heard other clips of that same pedal from people on the TGP and other places that were nothing special at all. So that leads me back to something other than the pedal...

• Members

Yes, I have a stock '62 reissue strat. That's what gets me closest to the tone. Bridge pickup at first, then it sounds like he switches to the neck pickup when he hits that hammer-on right before the first little fast ascending lick in the clip.

You might be right and it might just be the amp. What year is your amp?

Mine is a '77. Now that my friend Daniel is living with me I could potentially make you some clips to give you an idea of what Im talking about but he updated his mac to Tiger, and {censored}ed himself since the drivers for his 002 are so outdated. And of course the lazy bastard doesnt have $75 to spend on the new version so he cant even get into protools right now.. :rolleyes:

BTW, that PLankton clip is one of the closet approximations of the Hendrix tone Ive heard to date. It is damn near right on some of the earlier Hendrix tones. Its a very warm strat sound. Almost Trower-ish...

• Members

Those volume controls are master volume controls...

I would love to hear a clip of the setup you're talking about, but I've never heard a DSL or TSL approach the elusive quality that I'm talking about...

But each channel is totally seperate from the other with all diff eq's and each has it's own effects loop too. there is no other voumes just one for each channel ..... no master .

To me it's like having three diff Marshalls

A 70's plexi

A nice inbetween jcm 800/900

and a full blown JCM 2000 ( for those super high gain applications)

Each channel is totally independent from the other

Sorry I don't have a clip ..... if I'm not to crazy busy tonight maybe I can record one quick fast for you .

• Members

Mine is a '77. Now that my friend Daniel is living with me I could potentially make you some clips to give you an idea of what Im talking about but he updated his mac to Tiger, and {censored}ed himself since the drivers for his 002 are so outdated. And of course the lazy bastard doesnt have $75 to spend on the new version so he cant even get into protools right now..
:rolleyes:

BTW, that PLankton clip is one of the closet approximations of the Hendrix tone Ive heard to date. It is damn near right on some of the earlier Hendrix tones. Its a very warm strat sound. Almost Trower-ish...

The '77 doesn't have a MV?

• Members

The '77 doesn't have a MV?

Yeah NO master volume. I did however mod it with a PPMV, so that I could get those metal tones at lower volumes. But the Hendrix tones are still there too when you crank the PPMV and bascially turn the amp back to stock...

But I think the Non Master Volume sound is what you're looking for... :)

• Members

Originally posted by GRIFF10672

MY Marshall 122 has the three seperate channels each channel has it's own volume. no master at all . I get that tone with my strat with emg's using the clean channel with the gain on about 5-6 and the volume up until hard picked notes start to break up a little . Very responsive to touch .

TSLs are good amps, but they are NOT going to cop the real vintage marshall tones. I'm sure you think they do, but A/B your 122 with a real old marshall and get back to me.

• Members

Will do. For now, here is a clip with the superbass pre-ppmv. I used a hot plate, Kage's Crispy Cream, univibe clone, and a whammy. Its a live blues improv.

The very first part of that clip had "it" - it vanished when you hit the boost (I think that's what happened...) But the first 15-odd seconds, you can really hear it...

• Members

I listened to your take and the Fetto clip and you are right, there's something different about the Fetto that is very appealing. I agree that as far as strat tone goes, the fetto clip is the best i've heard.

The difference between yours and the Fetto seems to have a bit less gain and more low mids IMO.

• Members
Originally posted by Myron Stratis

My guess is that the Feto clip is a non-master volume JTM style preamp, old Marshall (maybe a Superbass) That would be a Germio Club 40:) I will try and prepare some clips with my Suhr... BTW great clips by both of you guys!
:cool:

That would be cool Myron :)

• Members
Originally posted by Myron Stratis

My guess is that the Feto clip is a non-master volume JTM style preamp, old Marshall (maybe a Superbass) That would be a Germio Club 40:) I will try and prepare some clips with my Suhr... BTW great clips by both of you guys!
:cool:

Myron, if you can pull that tone with your Germino, I will have no choice but to buy one!

• Members

This is the tone I'm chasing:

http://www.himmelstrutz.com/fettosamples/Plankton_Christian_Fetto_1.mp3

My Reinhardt 36 watt Marshall clone will do that and way more with ease. It also has a righteous vox clean channel.

I'm going to put it up for sale come monday for $1400 shipped. I'm having gas for a super high gain 50 watt plexi.:eek:

planksgear008.jpg

• Members

I think another piece of the puzzle is that the Plankton Fetto clip to my ears has that low mid wooly thing that the old 50 watt Marshalls have. It really sounds like a 50 watter. Kinda like the way Eric Johnsons tone changed imo for the better when he switched to 50 watters. The 72 50 watt JMP that I had, had this tone but at the time I wanted something else (vh ;) ) so the tone went unappreciated and I sold the amp. I think a good direction to go would be a good late 60's 50 watt clone.

• Members

Originally posted by LarryJ48

Vlad I just listened to a couple of your clips. Your Super Lead has THE tone. Forgive my ignorance but I've never heard of the "Rich Mod". Is it a simple thing or a complete overhaul Bray/Cameron kind of thing.

Thanks man!

It's a very simple mod which costs about $8 in parts and is minimally invasive. It's the first time I ever mucked around with the inside of an amp. If you take your time it should take around 30 minutes to do.

Here's a link to the Rich Mod kit.

http://www.metroamp.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_33&products_id=254

• Members

Originally posted by Rich

My Reinhardt 36 watt Marshall clone will do that and way more with ease. It also has a righteous vox clean channel.

I'm going to put it up for sale come monday for $1400 shipped. I'm having gas for a super high gain 50 watt plexi.:e]

Got any clips?

Archived