Hey before I send the Fender Blues Jr or the Ampeg Jet back, I want your input

Mikeo

• Members

I have em both her at the house, and liked the plain and simple charactor of the Jet II over the Fender BJ. The BJ is louder and cleaner, and way to much reverb, but does the Fender clean thing well

The Ampeg sounds so sweet through out the spectrum of volume and has a lot of charm, not so clean, but does the Tom Petty thing real well. I was thinking about speaker changes to clean things up a bit and maybe new JJ tubes. I have talked to the Weber Speaker guys and the suggested one of the Blue speakers, but I forget which one. Ampeg folks were usless, and you be surprised how may of the sale and customer service people at Amoeg are pretty much unfamiliar with the products the sell and repair.

Any comments would be helpful

I will also post both my reviews on both amps, which are rather lenthy, sorry about that, but I'm looking for suggestions that would get the best tones out of either amp. I have read all HC reviews, and don't tell me to spend 3x the cash and get a Dr Z or other pricey amp. The purpose of this amp is to just jam with friends, and have a light weight amp to haul, yet sounds good.

I already have a older Fender Twin Reverb, a Marshal Jmc 800, a Mesa 1x12 Nomad, a 2x12 Mesa Maverick, A Mesa T verb, and Mesa Rectro, and Ashdown ABM 500, and a SWR Cal Blonde.

Thanks

Mikeo

My Reviews

Ampeg Jet arrived yesterday (early review)

I played this amp through out the evening, here

• Members

If the ampeg is a new one I would ditch it ...made my Crate to Crates standards. They sound great until they either get chassis and board rattles that make them unuseable or they simple stop working after 10 years. They are crap and the world needs to know.

They do sound pretty sweet while they are working though but I will never buy another Ampeg/Crate as long as I live.

• Members

I like the blues JR but it really needs a better speaker than the Emminence. The Jensen is way better. Weber is better too. It also might be a good idea to have the Billm bias mod done to it. After that it sounds like a 2,000 dollar boutique amp.

But for a great upgrade swap the speaker with something better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by * velcro-fly *

+100

For about $175 + shiping he will do all of the mods for you...check out the comments....I'll get one done.

Steve E

For 120.00 including plus shipping he added a presence control, dual bias controls, and modified my tone stack with orange drop caps. I think he models his tone stack on a Princeton. I really love the amp now.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

If the ampeg is a new one I would ditch it ...made my Crate to Crates standards. They sound great until they either get chassis and board rattles that make them unuseable or they simple stop working after 10 years. They are crap and the world needs to know.

They do sound pretty sweet while they are working though but I will never buy another Ampeg/Crate as long as I live.

so, the new ones quit working after ten years, eh? how do you know this? do you have a time machine to travel to the future? :rolleyes:

i would keep the ampeg. they sound awesome, rattles (if they develop) can always be fixed, and SLM makes amps every bit as well as the BJ is made.

Archived