Who has a Rivera Los Lowbottom cab?

somata

• Members

i'm really interested in these cabs. my tech/grind band doesn't have a bass player, and i think the lowbottom would be a good way to get some more thunk in the mix. anyways, it says on the rivera site that you run it via one of the speaker outs on your head into a high power input. do you have to run it this way, or can you run it with a normal signal (ie-slave out)? i'd also like to be able to use it as a full range speaker for keyboards, drum machine, and guitar synth (down the road) for the solo ambient stuff i do on the side...and being able to use it without a head for that stuff would be a big plus...

• Members
Originally posted by BOOGIE666

you have a dual recto and a recto 4 x 12 and you dont have enof bass????

whay kind of guitar are you using?

Did you even read his post, you tire-iron wielding troglodyte?

It's a powered sub, so I don't know if you could use it with keys and the like. Also, I have the understanding that it accepts the same signal as a standard guitar cab. I wish I could be of more help. :(

• Members

I would call Rivera on the phone. They are really nice people...and I'm sure they will take the time to answer your questions (with the actual facts). I've called them a bunch of times, and they have always been really cool and informative.

T

• Members
Originally posted by somata

i'm really interested in these cabs. my tech/grind band doesn't have a bass player, and i think the lowbottom would be a good way to get some more thunk in the mix. anyways, it says on the rivera site that you run it via one of the speaker outs on your head into a high power input. do you have to run it this way, or can you run it with a normal signal (ie-slave out)? i'd also like to be able to use it as a full range speaker for keyboards, drum machine, and guitar synth (down the road) for the solo ambient stuff i do on the side...and being able to use it without a head for that stuff would be a big plus...

Why not use a basic powered PA sub?

• Members

well, its not about just having bass in my tone...as i understand it, the lowbottom has a high pass option, that lets just the lows through, so i could have my regular cab sound (which by the way has very little bass in it, lots of mids and highs) through my 4x12 and a sub sound with a super tight bottom end. its not about not being happy with the sound i have now, but rather supplementing it. really i'm driven to look into this by the newest ion dissonance album...they have such a killer super thick sound, but they play 7 strings. just investigating some options. the thing that drew me to the los lowbottom is the fact that the sub2 is the same size as a 2x12, so i could keep my stage area nice and tidy, but get some more thickness into my sound without compromising the crunchy cut-through sound i get now...

i will give rivera a call. i'm pretty sure from revisiting the website that it can do what i want, but i just wanted to be sure...

www.myspace.com/thearsonistsdaughter

• Members

i had one, and it was AMAZING. it doesn't just add more bass (as many people wrongly assume), it handles the bass duties so your other speakers can better handle the mids and highs, making the whole sound just incredibly solid and punchy and clear, with improved everything, not just bass. cleans ring out like a grand piano without any mud or blurriness, and distortion tones were full of muscle.

however, they are pretty picky about which amps they're hooked up to, especially if you use the high-pass feature to effectively bi-amp. while it sounded incredible with my rivera, it sounded really weird with a mark iv and a couple other amps i tried it with. the frequencies are tuned in such a way that if they don't match up right with the host amp, the results won't be as good.

anyway, i think they're a great idea, and can potentially turn a great rig into a stunning one.

again, they're not so much for increasing the bottom - they just potentially improve the function of the entire system when used properly.

• Members

I believe your talking about the 2x15 cab we put out, and no it is not powered. If the cab you were looking for was just for your guitar rig I think our 2x15 is just what SOMATA is looking for. Scott Hull from Pig Destroyer has 2 of our 4x12s and 2 of our 2x15s. He got the 2x15s because they don't have a bass player and he could dial in all the lows with these cabs. The only other company I know of building the 2x15s is Randall. But I think it sounds like he's looking for a small powered PA. He's talking about running keyboards, synths, and a drum machine through it.

• Members

Originally posted by rottensoul

I believe your talking about the 2x15 cab we put out, and no it is not powered. If the cab you were looking for was just for your guitar rig I think our 2x15 is just what SOMATA is looking for. Scott Hull from Pig Destroyer has 2 of our 4x12s and 2 of our 2x15s. He got the 2x15s because they don't have a bass player and he could dial in all the lows with these cabs. The only other company I know of building the 2x15s is Randall. But I think it sounds like he's looking for a small powered PA. He's talking about running keyboards, synths, and a drum machine through it.

crate also builds a 2x15

• Members

Originally posted by somata

i'd also like to be able to use it as a full range speaker for keyboards, drum machine, and guitar synth (down the road) for the solo ambient stuff i do on the side...and being able to use it without a head for that stuff would be a big plus...

nope - it's a sub only, and it's only a good sub for guitars, not other stuff.

Archived