Marshall Valvestate tube question

Karma1

• Members

I have a Marshall Valvestate VS230. It's not my main amp - for gigs I use a Mesa Boogie Studio 22 or Fender Blues Jr. But I'm just wondering if changing the preamp tube from the stock one to something higher quality like a JJ, would possibly make a difference in the tone on the CLEAN channel? I'm not concerned with the tone of the distortion channel as I use a Mesa Boogie V-Twin and Tonebone Classic for that. One modification I've made to the amp was to replace the stock Goldback 10" speakers with beefier Eminence speakers. The stock ones were 4ohms and the replacements were 8ohms. It reduced the overall volume a bit, but the tone is better.

So, any thoughts on the effect of the tube on the clean channel? Also, any tube recommendations?

Thanks!

• Members

Try this. Turn your amp on and immediately try playing through the clean channel. It is makes noise right away,the tube isn't in the clean signal. I know that is the case with some of these "tube in the preamp" designs. In that case,a tube change wouldn't affect the clean channel.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Try this. Turn your amp on and immediately try playing through the clean channel. It is makes noise right away,the tube isn't in the clean signal. I know that is the case with some of these "tube in the preamp" designs. In that case,a tube change wouldn't affect the clean channel.

The tube is very much in the path in the 2nd gen Valvestates (the VS series).

Try a Chinese in there. :)

• Members

Many thanks to those who took the time to respond - I appreciate the information.

In answer to the question of whether my speakers are wired in parallel or series - to be honest I'm not sure. I just swapped out the stock speakers for the Eminence without changing any wiring. So, I guess however they were wired originally is how they still are. As I mentioned, I did notice a small overall drop in volume, but not that much. It's still loud enough for what I use it for.

Thanks again.

Archived