Korg Radias vs. Virus TI2

• Members

I love both these units. However, the Radias can be had for a great value used. I love it's vocoder, and I think it's a wonderful little VA. I've read general specs, and played around with both.

What would you go with and why? I love the Virus Control implementation, but it still seems to be quite problematic, and I am waiting for this OS 3 beta testing phase to end... perhaps it will by summer NAMM?

From what I gather, the Virus has more polyphony, more options, and is generally more versatile, with huge preset libraries to draw from... and from the history of the TI series. However, is the TI2 Polar worth 3Gs CDN?

BTW, I prefer to find a preset that I like, and tweak from there.

Cheers,

PB

• Members

I'd pick the Radias as I really don't care for the dark Virus sound. Also the money saved is always good. However, the Virus is a damn good synth (my prejudices aside) and it is THE standard in TRANCE music. Just as much as Tech 1200's are to DJ turntables.

There's also a very bountiful library of sounds for the Virus series and most of it is free of charge.

• Members

I would go with half and half. Get the R3 and the Snow. The vocoder on the R3 is identical, the timbre structure is the same, has the same effects, just only minus the drum kits (who cares-Romplers are better at that anyways), the 8 poly is fine, and two timbres is enough to do nearly every patch the Radias has. The software editor is nearly identical, and the programmable knobs are great for live performance.

And it leaves enough money to help pay for the Snow. Why choose? Get a huge chunk of both.

• Members

I have the TI and the RADIAS, and they're, to me, incredibly different beasts and depending on what you're really aiming for one is quite different than the other. Let me start off by saying that with respect to the TI (I know you said TI2) ignore the multi-mode because the first edition of the TI is riddled with poor processing power in multi-mode (the TI2 does increase the process ing power so that may have been fixed by now).

You'll get a better classic analog sound out of the Virus and with the wavetables and granular synthesis there are a ton of options and nearly limitless sound design abilities. I do agree that the Virus has a "dark" sound but it is well-suited for dark EBM and ambient.

The RADIAS is a joy to play and really interesting. However it is very digital sounding and internal fx are subpar. The RADIAS does include a bunch of pcm samples that can be mixed in with the analog engine. Note though that hese samples are old... OLD Korg sounds that are really dated and grungy (I don't know why Korg continues to recycle old M1 samples) BUT the cool thing is that these samples add some grit and interesting noise to whatever you're creating. So, I don't mind this too much but sometimes do wish Korg would update their samples. Have they since the M1? There are also drum samples which sound pretty good and work well with the arp/sequencer.

The sequencer on the RADIAS is, to me, more fun to work with and the user interface is a bit more easy-to-use than the TI.

Considering all of this my vote goes to the Virus (even though they're BOTH great synths). IMO you're going to get more out of the Virus, and there are many more sounds for the Virus than the RADIAS from which you can start from.

I think the Virus sounds quite a bit better than the RADIAS in almost every aspect and is the ultimate synth for making pads and otherworldly soundscapes.

If price is a major factor than you can't go wrong with the RADIAS, but if not then go for the Virus.

J.

• Members

By the way, I think the RADIAS is actually the better machine for trance and run-of-the-mill techno. Also, I want to add that I have been playing and programming the RADIAS much more than the Virus because it is so different and fun to tweak. So, I kind of like these two synths equally but they're both so different. - J.

• Members

I appreciate the replies. What I will end up doing is probably snagging a used Radias off e-bay. I think the price is definitely right... the way I see it ~$800 bucks for a used Radias/keyboard, and sometime down the road I will pick up a Virus TI2 desktop (placed next to the Radias)... seeing as it's only $500 more than the Snow. Perhaps, I won't even desire a Virus after messing around more with the Radias.

I used to own the M3 with the Radias expansion... all I used was the EXB Radias. I much prefered that PC3x sounds for the bread and butter. I sold the M3 for a good price, and got a steal on the PC3... so that swap worked out beautifully. The PC3x severely lacks in pads. Yes, I know I can make them... but I prefer just finding a general preset and running from there...

I got the ROMPLER covered. Currently, I do all my writing in Ableton Suite, and with my PC3x. I also have Logic Studio... which I love in regards to mixing/plugins/intruments, but I'd prefer to write and brainstorm in Ableton. And for softies I have Novation bass station, and Arturia Analog factory.

Call me weird, but I don't like dealing with external softsynths. I'd much prefer to have the extra synths/keyboard stuff (other than my DAW's internal stuff) being run by hardware.

• Members

That would be a good plan. Keep in mind, though, that the RADIAS keyboard does not offer aftertouch. - J.

Not a biggie. It would be running via USB midi thru my MacBook... and if I desperately needed after touch... I got the PC3x. The Radias, however, would make a nice shelf for the TI desktop:)

• Members

That's what I'm sayin
:)

I'm not a fan of the current midi controller market. I played plenty with the Remote SL. And I am familiar enough with the M-Audio stuff... altho the new Axiom looks intriguing.

The only thing I'd consider buying is the new AKAI Ableton controller... and that's if I ever play live again. The PC3x has wonderful MIDI implementation, and as weird as I may be, I'd rather be clicking shit on screen anyway... until MacBooks get 'touch screens' i'll forever be pissed off with the controller market... but as of now, I'm very pleased with the PC3x, and how well I can get it to sync up with Ableton.

I don't really want a Mopho or Future Retro, etc.... I'd rather have digital synths that are OK at a pile of things, rather then a whole shitload of 'one trick ponies.'

Archived