Can i import patches of a dx 7 into a tg 77 ?

• Members

Oh, so you can convert Dx7 sounds into a SY77?

Please tell me how. Programming one synth to sound like the other isn't converting, its called programming. BTW most romplers I'm aware of have "synthesizer" parameter sections in them.

You know, you're really starting to become a real pain in this thread, if you don't know the SY77/99 and TG77 well enough to understand what we are doing, then your input is not really needed. The AFM section of the SY77/99/TG77 is the same 6op FM found in the DX7/DX7II series except carried farther with much improvement. So yes, you can "convert" DX7 patches to the SY77/99/TG77. There have been several people with many years of both DX7/DX7II and SY77/99/TG77 experience that have responded correctly in this thread, I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to try and contradict and "correct" them.

Clyde

• Members

And this is what intrigues me about the TG/SY77. The fact that you can modulate the FM section with the AWM section.

And don't forget the SY99 which is the same synth engine but allows you to load user waves. When doing RCM synthesis (using AWM to modulate AFM), it is possible to route a sound through both sets of filters (the AWM filters and the AFM filters). I think there are a lot of possibilities that have never been fully explored.

Clyde

• Members

I think there are a lot of possibilities that have never been fully explored.

Hell yeah!!! :thu:

A friend of mine called the SY77 a "clusterf***" of parameters.

One thing that makes the engine so unexplored in many regards is the fact that it has Yamaha's trademark......Which is one of the WORST operating systems / user interfaces in history for such a well-designed, powerful, and unique engine.....

FS1R anybody? :D

• Members

You know, you're really starting to become a real pain in this thread, if you don't know the SY77/99 and TG77 well enough to understand what we are doing, then your input is not really needed. The AFM section of the SY77/99/TG77 is the same 6op FM found in the DX7/DX7II series except carried farther with much improvement. So yes, you can "convert" DX7 patches to the SY77/99/TG77. There have been several people with many years of both DX7/DX7II and SY77/99/TG77 experience that have responded correctly in this thread, I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to try and contradict and "correct" them.

Clyde

Well thank you Mr. Helper

I am so elated to finally discover someone has been elected as the thread police.

http://www.truveo.com/Sam-Kinison-and-Rodney-Dangerfield-Classroom/id/4219871288

• Members

Well thank you Mr. Helper

I am so elated to finally discover someone has been elected as the thread police.

Are you really that daft?

I mean, if i claimed that the Jupiter 8 had DCO's and someone corrected me on that - i would apologize for spreading uninformed bull{censored} instead of continuing claiming something that is obviously wrong.

• Members

I think you're thinking of the TG500. The TG77 has both ROM and the SY77/99 FM engine.

I converted some DX7 programs, but it was all manually. Basically, I set the Frequencies of the SY synth to be the same as the DX operator frequencies. Then I took the Rate/Level 1-4 envelopes, which had a range of 100 values (0-99) and mathmatically converted them to the SY's 64 values (0-63). So, if the Rate 1 of a DX patch was "19", you could figure out the SY rate 1 like this:

20/100 = X/64 (0 counts as a value, so add one.) Now we have 100X = 1280. Divide both sides by 100. X = 12.8 (round it up to 13), so Rate 1 on the SY is 13.

Same with the levels - DX had 100 values, while the SY had 128. If level 1 on the DX was 40, then it would be:

41/100 = X/128..........100X = 5248.............X = 52.48 (or 52) SY Level 1 = 52.

Okay, so it's kind of a pain, but if you don't have a program and you want to convert an oldie, but goodie. There you go.

So, for the first parameters, 0.64*(original value) = new value

and for the second parameters, 1.28*(original value) = new value

If you want to do it manually, just set up a spreadsheet...

• Members

I "converted" some sawtooth lead sounds from my Moog Voyager to my SE-1X, funny how they both had analog oscillators with sawtooth waveforms, filters and envelopes. All I had to do was hit the magic "transfer" button and tada- same exact sound.

• Members

So, for the first parameters, 0.64*(original value) = new value

and for the second parameters, 1.28*(original value) = new value

If you want to do it manually, just set up a spreadsheet...

What's a spreadsheet? :facepalm: I'm nowhere near a math whiz, as much as just a tenacious nerd!:lol:

Speaking of older synths, I was tutoring some fellow on his OASYS, today. (which does the DX7 conversions for you) The guy took me into his garage and asked if I wanted his Ensoniq VFX SD, for free. Playing with it, now. I still get excited about gear I don't need...

• Members

(which does the DX7 conversions for you)

Nice! I'm a big fan of FM8, where it's really easy to import DX sounds - just place them in a suitable folder and import them. Then you can take advantage of the easy edit mode if you're not FM savvy. To me, FM synthesis is still very unexplored territory.

• Members

What's a spreadsheet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spreadsheet

You may know it better as Excel or Numbers, and even Google Docs (Spreadsheet) can do it.

In the A column, put the original values. In the B column, put the multiplier. In the C column, put the formula "=(An*Bn)" where n is the row number.

:facepalm:
I'm nowhere near a math whiz, as much as just a tenacious nerd!
:lol:

Hand in your nerd card for not knowing what a spreadsheet is, then ;).

• Members

:facepalm:

I liked it better when this thread was about the SY77.

On that note, there are already tons of already converted DX patches in SY77 format floating around on the net. Just gotta know where to look.

I think there are still a couple of "Best of DX" SY77 files available for download at the YamahaEU site.

http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_europe/download/products/10_musical_instruments/synthesizer/synthesizer/sy_series/index.php?

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the downloads. On Yamahasynth.com it appears that the "Classic Corner" which had lots of DX, SY, etc. downloads was taken down in the last month or so (at least I can't find it now).

Clyde

Archived