OT: Funny Americans part 2

Negative K3 fan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A question for the Americans:
There was an American exchange student in Sweden, in the same school where I went to, and she said that it is NOT obligatory to read geography in the American schools (elementary school, high-school etc..)? Is this true:confused:

-Jaakko

• Members

Originally posted by Jakem

There was an American exchange student in Sweden, in the same school where I went to, and she said that it is NOT obligatory to read geography in the American schools (elementary school, high-school etc..)? Is this true:confused:

-Jaakko

Person was lying. You have to have Geography all the way up until High-School. Also, in High School and College, all the History classes have Geography mixed in with them.

• Members

Originally posted by Code-001

Person was lying. You have to have Geography all the way up until High-School. Also, in High School and College, all the History classes have Geography mixed in with them.

Hmmm, that's weird, because she said that she didn't even know where Sweden was before she came to Sweden...

• Members

-Jaakko

No, sadly - that kid is a Moron.

• Members

Hmmm, that's weird, because she said that she didn't even know where Sweden was before she came to Sweden...

That's typical.

American Tax Dollars at work :(

Without looking, I'd guess that Sweden is near Germany.

But, I don't know with certainty.

For those Non-Americans, without looking, where is New Hampshire?

• Members

Maybe she is just really really stupid. You might have been able to get her to believe your dick was a lollypop.

• Members

-Jaakko

Yes that's totally true

The public school curriculum in the US is basically decided by marxist teachers unions. Certain districts are different than others... but Geography and US HIstory have been widely replaced by something called "social studies"

Geography is no longer taught partly so that US students will accept a common free trade zone in NOrth America.. (no border with Mexico)

"He who controls the past, controls the future"

... If students don't know the borders of their nation they won't miss them when they're gone

• Members

Just because it's taught, doesn't mean the idiots have to learn it.

I'm American (proudly), and I'm excellent at geography.

• Members

Originally posted by Code-001

All true, though I suppose there are differences state-to-state on what's pushed. The one thing to keep in mind is that a lot more effort has to be spent on learning basic U.S. geography than you'd need to spend learning basic [insert European country] geography before moving on to other places.

• Members

I really can't believe that. Who would go someplace and not even bother looking at a map before they go? I'm guessing it was a bit of the understated joke that's common in parts of the U.S. that doesn't seem to translate well.

...or maybe she really was that dumb...

• Members

Originally posted by RMS

I really can't believe that. Who would go someplace and not even bother looking at a map before they go? I'm guessing it was a bit of the understated joke that's common in parts of the U.S. that doesn't seem to translate well.

...or maybe she really was that dumb...

Yep, really! Her grandmother is from Sweden originally and I thought it was odd she hadn't even looked some info from Sweden by that reason alone...

I wrote one phrase incorrectly earlier. I said that "she said that she didn't even know where Sweden was before she came to Sweden..." it should've been "She had chosen Sweden 'cause it sounded cool and after making the decision to go there she had looked some info about it...". My bad:(

• Members
Originally posted by Yarmo

well for starters, the cities are not at they're proper place and Stasbourg and Toulouse look like they're in Austria or Germany. CNN needs a geography lesson..
:eek:

"They're" eh? :D Sorry, just had to give you {censored}.

-Jaakko

Through elementary / middle / high school the only specific geography units that I remember were the 50 states and their capitals, as well as a unit on the counties of Washington state. Obviously, geography comes up quite a bit in school, especially in history. During the WW2 units, for example, students should pretty much have Europe memorized.

That being said, it is also important to note that the requirements at schools out here are very lax and you can pretty much get through school without putting any effort into it.

• Members

Yep, really! Her grandmother is from Sweden originally and I thought it was odd she hadn't even looked some info from Sweden by that reason alone...

I wrote one phrase incorrectly earlier. I said that "she said that she didn't even know where Sweden was before she came to Sweden..." it should've been "She had chosen Sweden 'cause it sounded cool and after making the decision to go there she had looked some info about it...". My bad:(

People never cease to amaze me in their ignorance....so maybe she really didn't pay much attention to geography. It is possible to just pass the classes and move on. (Like someone else said, most geography would be in history classes in high school and college and you can easily get by with only taking U.S. history classes to fill requirements.)

Don't ask someone around here where Sweden (or Norway) are and expect to get dumb answers...or at least be prepared to wait in the cold awhile until you find someone who doesn't know! :)

• Members

You just GOTT'a see this....

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=1297922&page=1

This still boggles my mind. It's one thing that the guy on the phone convinced the adult assitant manager that he was a cop, but how would he convince either, especially the girl, to do anything beyond emptying her pockets? He's looking for a purse! And it may be one thing if she did steal the purse, people will do nearly anything to get off, but there wasn't even a purse to begin with.

"Take off ALL your clothes." "Uh, Ok"

Come on, where could she hide a PURSE!

"Now jump up and down so we can see if something falls out" "Uh, Ok"

FALLS OUT??? Out of WHERE, it's a PURSE!

And how it gets to sex acts is beyond me... and sodomy...

"The policeman on the phone wants me to blah blah blah..... bend over..." "Uh, Ok"

Then she's on TV with this pretty little smile that says "Hi, I'm the girl that was rumped by my boss's ex-boyfriend on video because some guy on the phone told us to. Luckily the maintence guy didn't want some, I'm already sore." Giggle grin.

Ouch.

• Members

Originally posted by B-A-W-K

a one legged news anchor? thats the problem right there

That's Eileen. The waitresses at the restaurant next door love her because....

...wait for it....

....wait....

SHE ALWAYS TIPS

Thank you! What a great audience.

• Members
Originally posted by Negative K3 fan

I have no clue, i don't even know if it's a state or a city... please tell me!

Everything you want to know about New Hampshire:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108244.html

Btw, most Americans who aren't from New England probably have to look at a map to remember which is Vermont and which is New Hampshire. Even in the map puzzles we all had as kids you can frequently reverse the two and make them work. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by dinrodef

Yes that's totally true

The public school curriculum in the US is basically decided by marxist teachers unions. Certain districts are different than others... but Geography and US HIstory have been widely replaced by something called "social studies"

Geography is no longer taught partly so that US students will accept a common free trade zone in NOrth America.. (no border with Mexico)

"He who controls the past, controls the future"

... If students don't know the borders of their nation they won't miss them when they're gone

Get your tin foil hats on folks.

• Members
Originally posted by kannibul

For those Non-Americans, without looking, where is New Hampshire?

it's in the north eastern mainland USA, in new england, near vermont, maine, new york (state), massachussetts, that general area

i didn't look

*runs off to check*

EDIT: pwNz0Rr3ddDD!!111 ( :rolleyes: ) it's between maine and vermont, according to the map kindly supplied by yahoo

:thu:

EDIT: and i've never been either, just in case you thought i cheated that way (not that that's cheating, but you know what i mean)

Archived