Just purchased a Triton for $500

• Members

I went back to the college that I graduated from last year to visit at the spring picnic that they have every year. I spoke to one of the audio recording professors, and he told me that the Korg Tritons that were being used in the MIDI were being sold for $500 each. They were replaced with Korg M3s in the MIDI lab. I checked it out in the school, and it is in excellent condition both in appearance, and working. Was this a good deal that I got for this?

• Members

Good score, and you know it hasn't been abused in smokey clubs or passed around on ebay a 100 times.

My golden rule when purchasing synths is, the first thing you buy, even before cables is a dust cover, you have a mint Triton, keep it that way!:)

• Members

Wow...a school with Korg M3's as workstations in a class...sign me up! heh

Yep, it's great. I went to Five Towns College, which is a private college located here on Long Island. The main curriculum is involved with the music industry ranging from music performance, music education, audio recording technology (which I took as my concentration), film/video, and theatre (acting or tech). Tuition for the school has significantly increased over the years. I believe that it now has gone up to $10,000 a year.

• Members

A couple of months ago a work mate sold me a mint Korg Triton (classic, 61-key) for $300. He was trying to sell me this thing for a couple years after his brother-in-law died. They guy used it at home for a couple months before he died, it's been sitting in its case ever since. Finally I couldn't refuse at this price. NOT A SCRATCH. ONE MONTH USED. $300. GREAT DEAL. :)

• Members

A couple of months ago a work mate sold me a mint Korg Triton (classic, 61-key) for $300. He was trying to sell me this thing for a couple years after his brother-in-law died. They guy used it at home for a couple months before he died, it's been sitting in its case ever since. Finally I couldn't refuse at this price. NOT A SCRATCH. ONE MONTH USED. $300. GREAT DEAL.
:)

Neat :thu:

Did it have the EXB-MOSS Z1 board installed? Its almost worth buying an old Triton just for this. Just think, large touch screen editing, superior F/X, (although of course only 6 voices.) and a reasonable rompler/sampler thrown into the bargain :lol:

• Members

Did it have the EXB-MOSS Z1 board installed?

No. There were no expansions, just a stock Triton.

I can't be missing much, though, having the Z1 18-voice expanded edition. I could possibly remove the 6-voice MOSS expansion card from the Z1 and put it in the Triton, but I don't see the point. I am happy with the Z1's effects and I use lots of outboard on top of, or in place of, that. I can layer Triton patches with Z1 patches to achieve Triton/MOSS type combis.

• Members

No. There were no expansions, just a stock Triton.

I can't be missing much, though, having the Z1 18-voice expanded edition. I could possibly remove the 6-voice MOSS expansion card from the Z1 and put it in the Triton, but I don't see the point. I am happy with the Z1's effects and I use lots of outboard on top of, or in place of, that. I can layer Triton patches with Z1 patches to achieve Triton/MOSS type combis.

A brilliant combination, sir! :thu:

• Members

Did it have the EXB-MOSS Z1 board installed? Its almost worth buying an old Triton just for this.

If you guys ever come to Japan, you'll be shipping Tritons back by the boat load. I just picked one up WITH the MOSS board and a couple of PCM expansions from a resale shop for 40,000 yen (~$420). You can imagine what they gave the poor soul who sold it (1/3 of that.) The only catch is it's 100VAC, so when I go back to the States, I'll have to buy a 120->100 step down transformer.

No wonder I can't save any money. I keep coming across good deals! The week before I picked up the Triton, I bought an MS2000BR for...10,000 yen. $100!!! I couldn't even tell it was used. I also picked up a pair of Yamaha MSP10 powered monitors...23,000 yen (230 bucks...geez!)

Here are some prices of used gears I saw on Friday:

Roland JV-1080...15,000 yen.

Korg X3 with footswitch...10,000 yen

Trinity Pro (76 key) w/ hard case...45,000 yen

Another Triton classic w/ SCSI and hard case...40,000 yen

Yamaha A5000 sampler w/ CD drive & flight case..30,000 yen

Mackie 1604VLZ...8,000 yen

Roland VS1680ex...10,000 yen

Add 5% tax.

Wait until you see prices of used band instruments (sax, trumpets, flutes, etc.) They're all at least half the price of new ones (and these things retain their value a whole lot better than electronic gears.)

I'm patiently waiting for an Oasys to show up for a grand.

It's used-gear heaven here.

• Members

Well, shipping anything of significant weight out of Japan is fairly expensive. I sent a radio-controlled car to my buddy's kid in the US. It weighed about 2 lbs. The postage (EMS) was 2,800 yen ($28). I can't imagine what a 40 lbs keyboard would cost.

Don't EU countries tax imports 'till kingdom come?

Archived