Eruption

ncook

• Members

Compare these vids to that girly-man Vai video from a couple days ago and you can see who the poser is.

I'm not saying Vai isn't a great player but his playing is more a ripoff of EVH than 'inspired by' EVH as some have said.

As for showmanship...Eddie looks perfectly natural on stage. Vai looked like an actor who wants to be a guitar player.

Bring on the flames but a simple a/b of these EVH and Vai vids will prove me right.

• Members

I'm getting reeeaaally close with my ADA and GT-6. I'm going to record it in a few more days and post it. This is my first tube preamp in a long time, its a must to use a tube preamp for the true Eruption sound. EVH talked about how he'd crank his plexi way up and govern the volume with an external thing so he could really "get the tubes cookin." I like that wet burning sound on the original Eruption recording, I've been trying to find it for a while, I'm almost there.

• Members
Originally posted by cloudnine

I'm trying to learn Eruption at the moment myself.

It really isn't going well, spending hours on what amounts to 4 seconds of stuff is beyond frustrating.
:(
I keep telling myself its cause I havent been playing long but it's really getting to me.

I have something that might help. I used a program and tuned the mp3 up to E and then slowed it down. I have a bunch of mp3s now going from really slow to full speed, all in the key of E instead of Eb or whatever he used. I found tab on some website thats pretty good too. Let me know if you want any of this stuff, I can post a link.

• Members

I've got my guitar set up in Eb so its cool.

I'm also using the Amazing Slow-Downer, which is convenient 'cos Eruption's the 2nd track and it can only do the first two tracks anyway.

Still, it's depressing when I cant get down the section I'm working on even at 75% speed. :(

• Members

I've got my guitar set up in Eb so its cool.

I'm also using the Amazing Slow-Downer, which is convenient 'cos Eruption's the 2nd track and it can only do the first two tracks anyway.

Still, it's depressing when I cant get down the section I'm working on even at 75% speed.
:(

which section is it?

• Members

The opening string-skip lick -

E_________0___________0___________0__________0_____
B_8-5-0________8-5-0________8-5-0_______8-5-0_________
G______8___________8___________8__________8________
D__________________________________________________

For the life of me I just cannot get it accurate past about 70% speed.

• Members

The opening string-skip lick:

E_________0___________0___________0__________0__

B_8-5-0________8-5-0________8-5-0_______8-5-0_______

G________8___________8___________8___________8____

For the life of me I just cannot get it

accurate past about 70% speed.

Is it the left hand speed or right hand picking thats causing the trouble? Are you picking down on the G and up on the E and B?

• Members

I'm doing it the ol' Edward Van Halen way - start with a down on the 8, do the pulloffs on 5 and to open, down again on the 8 on the G string, and then an upstroke on the open E.

It's mostly synching up the picking with the fingers, but if I had to say which is worse it's definitely the picking hand.

• Members

I'm not really a competent instructor of any kind, but I can tell you what works for me. If the ol' metronome method doesnt do it (which it sounds like it doesnt), theres one method thats never failed me. I heard it called "burst practicing" before, basically its where you take the first 2 notes and play them as fast as you can, after you get a good feel, add the 3rd note and practice it for a few minutes, then the 4th and etc. I've gained massive speed in a matter of minutes doing it like that and it cures sync problems because you break it down for your fingers and mind to little bite size pieces. Also, have you been here?

• Members

Yep, that guy owns and that's where I got the Eruption tab from. I've checked it note for note slowing it down to 1/5th speed and he's right on. Dude is an EVH freak, but aside from some Eddie technique his lessons don't offer much.

I've watched a few of his vids and always thought, less talk, more play:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by Pavel

This one's awesome as well!

I like his tone sooo much more on this one. And notice how much gain he isn't using. I bet some of us would freak if we had to solo with that tone. Having said all that, after i just watched some Paul Gilbert videos and these VH videos back to back, well, Paul's the man.

• Members
Originally posted by danyeo

I like his tone sooo much more on this one. And notice how much gain he isn't using. I bet some of us would freak if we had to solo with that tone. Having said all that, after i just watched some Paul Gilbert videos and these VH videos back to back, well, Paul's the man.

I noticed too. It seemed to low tho, like there was no bite to it.

Archived