Just snagged a month old Randall RG100SC 2x12 for $200

wheresgrant3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The clean channel is fantastic, the first OD is okay, the second one is less okay. The reverb and chorus are really nice, but I never use them. I mainly just use the clean channel to play my Rat through, and it's one of the best sounds you're ever gonna hear for that price. The speakers are celestion 70/80s and are really good for being in a cheap SS combo, but if you swapped them out for a couple 60+ watt speakers, the sound should improve even more.

I've been financially delegated to be a SS man, so I spent a lot of time looking for a good clean amp to run pedals through. Everyone says the JC-120 is the best SS amp, and it does have a great sound, but it just doesn't like OD pedals at all. The Ampeg V140 and the Pearce G2R are supposed to be really great, but this Randall is the best clean pallete you're gonna find for under $1000 dollars brand new.

• Members

Originally posted by Buddeehollee

The clean channel is fantastic, the first OD is okay, the second one is less okay. The reverb and chorus are really nice, but I never use them. I mainly just use the clean channel to play my Rat through, and it's one of the best sounds you're ever gonna hear for that price. The speakers are celestion 70/80s and are really good for being in a cheap SS combo, but if you swapped them out for a couple 60+ watt speakers, the sound should improve even more.

I've been financially delegated to be a SS man, so I spent a lot of time looking for a good clean amp to run pedals through. Everyone says the JC-120 is the best SS amp, and it does have a great sound, but it just doesn't like OD pedals at all. The Ampeg V140 and the Pearce G2R are supposed to be really great, but this Randall is the best clean pallete you're gonna find for under $1000 dollars brand new.

This is completely backwards from what I found. The clean channel is Okay,the OD1 is good, and the OD2 is where this amp is happening. The Chorus sucks ass as does the reverb. All this is my assessment of it of course. Great buy. Cheers Lucius

• Members

I have had one for years and it is a great amp. Great warmth for a solid state amp. The clean is very good chimey, rich and with chorus and reverb very nice for any clean part I have ever needed. Gain 1 is kind of medium high gain, think classic rock crunch distortion, very usable for mid gain tones. Gain 2 is great if you know how to set it. Very recto inspired but tighter. Great metal tones. I set mine as follows.

Gain 1 = 8

Gain 2 = 8

Level = 3

Bass = 7

Mids = 5

Treble = 9

Contour = 4

Kind of a Dream Theater train of thought tone.

Archived