MIDI, Who uses it? Pros, Cons?

ncook

• Members

I'd say it caught on seeing as that it's basically the standard for most hardware control. I use the Behringer FCB1010 to control a Line6 HD147, FilterPro, ModPro and Electrix Repeater. Works perfectly with a little know-how.

• Members

Originally posted by ncook

Thinking about using a MIDI pedal for my preamp/processor. It seems like old technology, or at least tehnology that never caught on. Any reason? Anyone out there still use it? Thanks!

Midi is actually quite huge. That is why it is in every piece of rack gear, foot processors and even some stomp boxes (Whammy 4) have it. Pretty much any person with rack gear will be using midi to control it all otherwise you have 15 buttons to turn on and off just for one patch. There aren't many disadvantages of midi. With the right rack gear and some midi loopers it can be the most flexible rig you'll ever have.

If you have any specific questions then go ahead and ask away as there are many many people on this board who use it. Cheers Lucius

• Members

Wow, cool. I really want to use it because it can (from what I understand) switch the channels on my MP-1 and processor at the same time with one button. I thought it wasnt used much anymore, I'm glad to hear it is. The only thing I heard that I was curious about was a delay time while switching between channels, but that may have been the equipment rather than the MIDI itself.

EDIT: By the way, and ideas on an affordable MIDI pedal?

• Members

Originally posted by ncook

The only thing I heard that I was curious about was a delay time while switching between channels, but that may have beed the equipment rather than the MIDI itself.

The delay would be a product of the processor you are using (called dropout). For instance I once bought a TC electronic M300 for use in my live guitar rig. Well there was like a 1/4 sec delay when switching patches. Didn't have anything to do with the midi but rather the M300 recaluculating coefficients for the DSP.

The MP1 and is good to go and doesn't have this type of "Drop Out". Which processor are you using? Cheers Lucius

• Members

The one I mentioned (Behringer FCB1010) is the best bang for your buck. You can change the program on 5 different devices and control change 2 different devices, has note on and off, can even change channels on a regular amp all with one press of the switch.

• Members

Yes.

MIDI is just the standard for a protocol. It does have a practical speed limit in the traditional hardware, but it's well beyond what you would notice in simply changing patches.

Think about it, MIDI is used for sequencing between devices, and the sequences can be using multiple channels, doing thousands of events per second, with each event containing dozens of parameters.

• Members
Originally posted by Lucius

The delay would be a product of the processor you are using (called dropout). For instance I once bought a TC electronic M300 for use in my live guitar rig. Well there was like a 1/4 sec delay when switching patches. Didn't have anything to do with the midi but rather the M300 recaluculating coefficients for the DSP.

The MP1 and is good to go and doesn't have this type of "Drop Out". Which processor are you using? Cheers Lucius

Digitech DSP 256

• Members

Originally posted by slaws

The one I mentioned (Behringer FCB1010) is the best bang for your buck. You can change the program on 5 different devices and control change 2 different devices, has note on and off, can even change channels on a regular amp all with one press of the switch.

+1 - I also used to use an old Digitech RP-1 as my midi switching device before I found my FCB1010. Cheers Lucius

• Members

i've turned to midi in the last year..

why the hell didn't i do this earlier?!?!

i have 1 midi pedal at my feet

switch to any preset on my rack fx

switch to any preset on my head [using an engl z-11]

No tap dancing on stage what so ever!

Best thing since the guitar i reckon :thu:

Archived