Can Classic 50/410 do metal with the right pedal?

woodsmandan

• Members

I searched the forums and the reviews about this...tons of useful info but not specifically about this:

I'm looking for a cheap tube combo for stage use.

I owned both the Classic 30 and a Fender Super Reverb 1976...liked them both, and from what i know about the Classic 50/410, it would fit somewhere between the two, wich would be perfect for 75% of what i play. No problem there.

The problem is the other 25% comes from a hard rock/alt rock/punk rock/metal cover band i play in. It goes from RATM to SOAD to Anthrax to Punk...you see the picture...

I don't want to reproduce these tones, when i play metal, it is with a stock standard Telecaster or a Squier '51 (strange i know, but it makes me cut trough the mix and a Tele in drop D is a mean beast...!)...but i want my amp to be able to handle a bit of gain without farting or being too "slack".

So ther eis my question: with the right pedal, can the C50/410 behave well with high gain?...or am i better to look at the Valve King, wich i fear will lack in the bluesy-classic rock register compared to a C50/410...

Thanks for reading...i'm a very new member, but i come in peace.

• Members
Originally posted by SHIVmongrel
sure it can...but 'metal' is so subjective that you'll have plenty of people say otherwise

...so true !...i had a hard time convince my fellow "metalish" band mates that i could use my Telecaster with them...and now they love how i sound "different" than most metal guitarists...

...as i usually play in a more later zz top kinda tone (think rhythmeen vibe), i tend to bring that with me when it's time to play metal...and i like sounding different

so the tone of a pedal-boosted C50/410 should be just fine for me, but what worries me is the response...like in the metal up/down picking a la Damageg Inc. ...will it be too slack sounding?

and thanks for the replies every one...very appreciated!:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by woodsmandan

Originally posted by SHIVmongrel

so the tone of a pedal-boosted C50/410 should be just fine for me, but what worries me is the response...like in the metal up/down picking a la Damageg Inc. ...will it be too slack sounding?

IMO, the 4x10 speakers have a tighter bass and are punchier than the 2x12 combo. That's one of the things that attracted me to it.

• Members

hi-
that's exactly what i was trying to do- a couple of years ago i had that vintage club 50 4x10- i was very happy with the amp
but trying to play hi gain with it absolutely didn't satisfy me-
i've tried almost every pedal out there but i never got any close to a good metal tone.
so i sold it and bought a laney gh100l plus 4x12.

i will forever regret it!!!

...keep the amp- get a tonelab se
that should do the job.

• Members

You could try an overdrive pedal SD-1, or a Tubescreamer type would work well.

I used to use an openback 2x12 combo with a Boss Heavy Metal pedal, and once you turned it up it turned into a beast, really heavy with just the right amount of gain, wasn't as gained out as a metal zone for sure.

If you want a modeler that's cool, but I'd hold back and try to stick with tubes, modeling technology isn't quite good enough yet.

Archived