Delta Blues, Advice repairs and questions???

The Boogie Man

• Members

Anyone ever had problems with a DB? I know they have tube issues because of vibration which causes them to be subject to mycro-phonics, maybe because of the 15" speaker and playing at high volume. What about the power and output transformers, any problem there? or blowing fuses, reverb or tremolo issues? Is this a good amp for Jazz and clean 50's style Rock? How reliable is this amp?

Thanks for your input.

• Members

The reason Peavey has sold about a billion Classic 30s, Classic 50s, and Delta Blues is because they're excellent, stone-reliable little vanilla amps. :thu:

They are also very responsive to tube and speaker changes so they are a bit of chameleon, too. You need a 15 inch Emi speaker from Avatar Speakers to replace that Blue Marvel - the weakest part of the amp - and a set of JJ tubes from Bob at Eurotubes to smooth it out further and 'round out' the tone a bit. Order both these items, and then when you take the chassis out of the cabinet to replace the speaker, glue a 1/4" strip of soft rubber weatherstripping onto the chassis everywhere it meets the cabinet, and put a dab of hi-temp silicone on each tube where it contacts the spring retainer (don't install the tubes until the silicone is totally dry/set up.

When you put it back to gether you will be blessed with a stone-reliable, awesome-sounding, loud little beast that will play Jazz, Classic Rock, and Blues beautifully and will not buzz and rattle when you turn it up loud enough to cut thru a small club unmic'd. And it WILL cut thru a full stage setup unmic'd. I've owned and gigged out with four Classic 30s (same circuit/chassis as the Delta Blues) and two Classic 50s and for my money ... nothing else has come close. I'm saving now for one of the new Classic 30 head/cab models. :)

Enjoy!

Minh

• Members

Thanks, yea I really like the amp, I think I'm pickin' it up used next week, but I think it needs some new tubes one or more rattle, sounds bad when you play some chords. Maybe I'll change the speaker, I've got 2 Jensen 15's still in boxes, the Hi-temp silicone sounds like a good idea and some way to protect the tubes would be nice.

Thanks!

• Members

Tom's Tube Tamer is the ultimate tube-rattle-stopper and is only about $20. It's an excellent piece of equipment. With one of those and the weatherstripping job you never have to worry about your little beast shaking itself loose. They can get amazingly loud and like most combos, they can rattle loose without the insulation and padding and they are hell on tubes without the Tamer or the silicone routine.

Good luck with the amp, and if you have any problems just post 'em here. There must be thirty or fourty Peavey Classic users around to help you get it sorted.

Minh

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I know they have tube issues because of vibration which causes them to be subject to mycro-phonics, maybe because of the 15" speaker and playing at high volume.

Any combo amp will be harder on tubes simply because the chassis is secured into the same enclosure as the speaker (also the tubes tend to be located very close to the chassis) so you will go through tubes sooner than you would on an amp head (par for the course).

What about the power and output transformers, any problem there?

Same as any other tube amp in the same price range.

or blowing fuses,

Fuses only blow when there is a short in the amp.

reverb or tremolo issues? Is this a good amp for Jazz and clean 50's style Rock? How reliable is this amp?

Much the same as any other tube amp in the same price bracket.

Have a great day

Trace

• Members

Originally posted by Voodoo Amps

I know they have tube issues because of vibration which causes them to be subject to mycro-phonics, maybe because of the 15" speaker and playing at high volume.

Any combo amp will be harder on tubes simply because the chassis is secured into the same enclosure as the speaker (also the tubes tend to be located very close to the chassis) so you will go through tubes sooner than you would on an amp head (par for the course).

What about the power and output transformers, any problem there?

Same as any other tube amp in the same price range.

or blowing fuses,

Fuses only blow when there is a short in the amp.

reverb or tremolo issues? Is this a good amp for Jazz and clean 50's style Rock? How reliable is this amp?

Much the same as any other tube amp in the same price bracket.

Have a great day

Trace

Do you ever have an opinion or just walk the fence? I could have come up with the same conclusions my self.

But thanks anyway.

BTW- I didn't buy it someone else got to it first. So setteled for a used Reverend Hellhound, same price, sounds way better.

• Members

Do you ever have an opinion or just walk the fence? I could have come up with the same conclusions my self. But thanks anyway.

What is it you want to know specifically? When amps are below certain price points you may experience failures that are some what common over time (IE: certain amps are known for pilot light holders going bad, solder joints on input jacks cracking, arching ribbon cable connectors, arching on the PCB due to poor lay out of traces, etc.). If you have questions about a specific amp you can feel free to call me directly.

BTW- I didn't buy it someone else got to it first. So setteled for a used Reverend Hellhound, same price, sounds way better.

The Hellhound will sound a lot better (in my opinion) and is probably more up your alley over all sonically speaking. Glad to hear you are enjoying the new amp :)

Have a great day

Trace

• Members

Originally posted by Voodoo Amps

Do you ever have an opinion or just walk the fence? I could have come up with the same conclusions my self. But thanks anyway.

What is it you want to know specifically? When amps are below certain price points you may experience failures that are some what common over time (IE: certain amps are known for pilot light holders going bad, solder joints on input jacks cracking, arching ribbon cable connectors, arching on the PCB due to poor lay out of traces, etc.). If you have questions about a specific amp you can feel free to call me directly.

The Hellhound will sound a lot better (in my opinion) and is probably more up your alley over all sonically speaking. Glad to hear you are enjoying the new amp
:)

Have a great day

Trace

Thanks. It's my first non-Fender tube amp I've ever owned, I still have my '75 Twin but hate lugging it around anymore and most the other amps are just a bit too small ie. Blues Jr. or to big, ie. Super Reverb. The Reverend seems well built and has mocho power and plays well clean, way better than my BJ which I use for Jazz and small Rock gigs, but I like it for it's size.

Archived