Getting a metal sound out of a fender blues junior

krazy1912

• Members

I haven't played a whole lot of metal in a band setting, but I would imagine you could get the tone your looking for at lower volumes with a pedal, but in a band situation the Blues Jr. might not pack enough low end. If you're willing to buy used you can find tube amps by Laney and Traynor that will suit your needs without needing a pedal. The Traynor YCV 80 is probably my favorite lower price amp that can get heavy tones. It is a 2X12 combo with 80 watts of tube power. You can find them used for around $500, which is only about $100 more than the Blues Jr. new. I don't now too much about distortion pedals because I prefer to get my distortion from the amp. Good luck!

• Members
Originally posted by krazy1912

if i can't, are there any tube amps that are the same price and size that could handle a heavy bass-heavy metal sound?

You certainly don't expect a little 10" or 12" open-back combo to pump out any low end do you?:confused: Plus,the BJ is probably about the worst choice possible as far as small tube amps for that genre. Why that amp?

• Members
Originally posted by Shadow.Dancer

Trying to do metal with a Blues Jr. is sort of like asking Pavarotti to do Marilyn Manson.

Ya,I don't get it. I can see if you already have the amp and aren't able to get something more in line with the tones you want. Then I could see trying to bend it in your direction. But when you are making a choice for an amp,why get one that is far away from your required tone when you will be fighting to adapt it to your thing? Why not start out with something that already does your required tones?

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

You certainly don't expect a little 10" or 12" open-back combo to pump out any low end do you?
:confused:
Plus,the BJ is probably about the worst choice possible as far as small tube amps for that genre. Why that amp?

A Classic 30 with an Emi Wizard in it can pump out serious low end - in fact, it can "do metal" as long as it's not a replication of a particular kind of sound.

Agreed on the BJ being a wacky choice for metal...even the name should warn you - "if you think you'll EVER want to play metal... don't buy one!". :D

• 14 years later...

Archived