WOT: Anyone have a Projection TV??

MattACaster

• Members

My Uncle gave me his old 52" RCA Projection TV as a housewarming gift. The thing is pretty sweet but I have a few questions....

I've heard a lot about images getting burned into the screen if they stay still for long enough (like station logos in the corner of the screen or health meters in video games). How long does the image have to stay on the screen for something like this to happen?

Also, there are some lines that looks like they could be spider webs or dust or something between the screen and the screen protector (I think thats what it's called). Can I take the protector off and clean the screen? Could these lines be cracks in the screen itself?

Thanks!

• Members

Yes burn in can happen. How long it takes depends on different things such as brightness and contrast levels. If this set has not been properly calibrated, there is a good chance that the brightness levels and contrast levels are set way to high, typically referred to as "Torch Mode". This is definately not how you want your RPTV set.

The lines you describe could be dust. The best thing to do is go here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php?s=

Scroll down to the rear projection forum.

Also I can't stress enough the importance of proper calibration. It will reduce the chances of burn in and help you to get the best possible picture. There are two DVDs commonly used by do-it-yourself types. One is called DVE and the other is Avia. I have both but prefer DVE. They're about $20-$30 each and you can find them at different places on the net as well as Ebay. You just put the DVD in and follow this instructions. It takes about 1/2 hour or so.

Jerry

• Members

I had a 50" Mitsu (now I have a LCD projector...8'x4' picture).....PJ's are sensitive TVs......here is some advice:

Every time one gets moved, it's usually a good idea to have it recalibrated. If this one is dirty, an even better idea. Spend the $80 and have a tech come out, clean the mirrors/bulbs etc, test the circuits, recalibrate the convergence.

Next, hook up a dvd player with the best possible connection, and calibrate the picture with the Avia dvd...you can get it anywhere...makes your black level black instead of grey, adjusts contrast, sharpness, etc.

Finally, I've had video games on pj's forever...never got screen burn. The only possible case of that would be if you paused it and the menu screen sat there for an hour. If you're going to be away for more than 10 minutes, turn off the tv.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by jds22

Yes burn in can happen. How long it takes depends on different things such as brightness and contrast levels. If this set has not been properly calibrated, there is a good chance that the brightness levels and contrast levels are set way to high, typically referred to as "Torch Mode". This is definately not how you want your RPTV set.

The lines you describe could be dust. The best thing to do is go here

Scroll down to the rear projection forum.

Also I can't stress enough the importance of proper calibration. It will reduce the chances of burn in and help you to get the best possible picture. There are two DVDs commonly used by do-it-yourself types. One is called DVE and the other is Avia. I have both but prefer DVE. They're about $20-$30 each and you can find them at different places on the net as well as Ebay. You just put the DVD in and follow this instructions. It takes about 1/2 hour or so.

Jerry

Thank you very much! I was looking for a link just like that.

I'm gonna see if I can track down onw of those DVDs right now.

• Members

Originally posted by Ultron

I had a 50" Mitsu (now I have a LCD projector...8'x4' picture).....PJ's are sensitive TVs......here is some advice:

Every time one gets moved, it's usually a good idea to have it recalibrated. If this one is dirty, an even better idea. Spend the $80 and have a tech come out, clean the mirrors/bulbs etc, test the circuits, recalibrate the convergence.

Next, hook up a dvd player with the best possible connection, and calibrate the picture with the Avia dvd...you can get it anywhere...makes your black level black instead of grey, adjusts contrast, sharpness, etc.

Finally, I've had video games on pj's forever...never got screen burn. The only possible case of that would be if you paused it and the menu screen sat there for an hour. If you're going to be away for more than 10 minutes, turn off the tv.

So I won't burn-in just playing my XBox for a couple hours on the TV as long as I don't leave it paused with the TV on?

• Members

So I won't burn-in just playing my XBox for a couple hours on the TV as long as I don't leave it paused with the TV on?

No...be smart about it and you'll be fine....as long as the picture is moving (unlike a menu), you'll be OK. I logged HUGE game hours on my Mitsu...no hint of burn.

But do make sure your brightness contrast is not in "torch mode"....that does help.

• Members

No...be smart about it and you'll be fine....as long as the picture is moving (unlike a menu), you'll be OK. I logged HUGE game hours on my Mitsu...no hint of burn.

But do make sure your brightness contrast is not in "torch mode"....that does help.

What about the satic images like health bars and stuff like that. Will those be a problem?

(Sorry about all the questions. I've never had a PJTV before and I don't want to screw it up.)

• Members

Originally posted by MattACaster

What about the satic images like health bars and stuff like that. Will those be a problem?

(Sorry about all the questions. I've never had a PJTV before and I don't want to screw it up.)

No problem at all unless it's on for 24/7 for quite a while.

• Members

You know the different settings you can change in your TV? (movie, pro, bright... etc).

On my TV, I calibrated "Standard" with the lights on during the day. I calibrated "Movie" at night with all the lights off. I switch it to standard when the lights are on, and I switch it to Movie at night when I'm watchin movies with the lights off.

That's just an FYI for no reason at all :p.

• Members

Originally posted by rockstrongo

I have an old RCA 62" Projection TV. I love the thing, it even has an S-Video input. Its not as sharp as a high definition TV, but it still looks kickass.

Thing is, these TV's can be had for as little at $260 in some cases.

Mine is either a 52" or a 62", I'm not sure. It's an older one but it does have the SVID as well. Might be the same one or from the same series.

• Members

The improtant factor is VARIETY....

If you play XBOX ONLY for 10 days straight with the same game - or watch CNN for 10 days straight - well, forget it - Burn in is evident....

If you play some XBOX game for 2 hours then watch normal TV for 2 hours - then unlikely to have ANY issues whatsoever....Its all about variety....Watch a DVD after a game - no issues....etc...

Also, turn the contrast down under 50% even before you get the calibration DVD....Contrast is THE killer....in fact - go as low as you can stand and your chances for burn-in decrease considerably....

Stretch 4:3 TV if you can stand it rather than the black bars....Its a compromise - but one that will help your lifespan of the TV....Cant stress enough the AVSforum.com advice - its indespensibile....I spend alot of time there and get alot of help....

• Members

Originally posted by MattACaster

Also, there are some lines that looks like they could be spider webs or dust or something between the screen and the screen protector (I think thats what it's called). Can I take the protector off and clean the screen? Could these lines be cracks in the screen itself?

Thanks!

I didnt address this....

You should call a qualified repairman....I am pretty handy and do my own audio/video wiring, make my own cables, self calibration - do about everything myself - but would never consider messing with my projection TV - leave it to the pros.....

Look at it this way - the total cost of the TV will be the service call - Still a great deal...!!!

• Members

Originally posted by Lorax

I didnt address this....

You should call a qualified repairman....I am pretty handy and do my own audio/video wiring, make my own cables, self calibration - do about everything myself - but would never consider messing with my projection TV - leave it to the pros.....

Look at it this way - the total cost of the TV will be the service call - Still a great deal...!!!

I think we have a TV repair/service center in town. I'll have to check them out.

Thanks!

• Members

Giant Gaming = teh win!

Save up $2000 and buy an Panasonic AE700......jaws will hit the floor.....you'll be getting spontaneous BJs from random women.
:love:

When I went and picked up the TV from my Uncle, he showed me what he replaced it with. I don't know the model number but it was a 62" Sony widescreen LCD TV. I nearly broke down and cried it was so beautiful.....:eek:

Someday......:D

Archived