100 watt vs 50 watt heads

keith335

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Well,of course.
:confused:
Clean headroom would mean that the peaks won't get clipped or rounded off. That is not necessarily a good thing,depending on the tones you are looking for.

generally is better coz there is more difference between soft touch and hard touch on the strings... and strings sound like they should btw

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I prefer 50 watt amps over 100 watt amps any day.

i had a dual recto that was too loud.. and i had an orange ad 140tc, and i wish i had the 30 so i could saturate the power tubes at lower levels.. cuz that's how it sounded good...

my marshall dsl50 and my soldano hr 50 have both kept up incredibly well in band situations.. the clean lacked on the marshall though.

Ben

• Members

Originally posted by vmx23

I always though that with the introduction of the PA system, 100 watts amps should be redundant.

Back then, it is understandable that we need high wattage amps so people can hear us but with PA nowadays even if you are playing in a big stadium it is gonna get miked anyway. It's not like your 100 watt amp is enough for the whole stadium.

I believe most buy one because of ego cause 100 watt sounds way cool. But it sure isn't practical. Even 50 watt tube is pushing it today.

And headroom? how much headroom do you need? even a 50 watt tube will have more than enough headroom unless of course the volume knob is at 11. And how many people will actually play at that volume honestly?

Even in a stadium gig, you should't need to put your volume more than 5. Unless of course you are playing in some ancient gigs without PA system and you need to rely on you amps which then you can say bye bye to your drummer.

of course with a PA you won't need all that volume. But, at many of our shows, we aren't miked and I need the 100 watts (I regulary have it at 6-7 live).

• Members
Originally posted by anti-flag193

of course with a PA you won't need all that volume. But, at many of our shows, we aren't miked and I need the 100 watts (I regulary have it at 6-7 live).

I'd never gig w/o miking my amp. Having to stand in front of the amount of volume it would take to carry an average room wouldn't be my idea of fun.

Archived