Best lead boost in front of distorted amp?

cvogue

• Members

I need a lead boost for my Classic 50 head (no effects loop). Tried my Boss SD-1 but going into a saturated preamp you get almost no volume increase with that.

My Peavey Wolfgang worked well using the volume control as a lead boost (rhythm volume on 5-6, lead on 10) but my Les Paul I always have the volume dimed pretty much or I lose too much tone.

So I'm thinking a pickup booster a'la what Seymour Duncan has in a pedal might be the ticket, whatchya think?

Or I could look into getting a loop installed... hmmm

• Members

Originally posted by danbronson

If you tried an SD-1 with the volume up and you didn't hear a volume increase, nothing's going to do it unless you install a loop and use a clean boost/EQ.

Yeah, I was afraid of that... although the Wolfgang had loads of dynamic volume range... that's why I was thinking the DUncan booster might help.

Although for what I'd pay for the Duncan booster I could almost get a loop installed and have a much more versatile rig.

• Members

I've gone through this alot too

I started with nicely overdriven rythym sound and boost up front, but no volume change since the pre tubes just distort more,

then went to boost pedal and EQ pedal at different times, in the FX loop. Plenty of volume boost but dry small bad sound. Loss of sustain, depressing.

My final solution is to sacrifice and bring down the gain on the rythym sound, and put the boost back upfront. I've gotten used to less gain...anyway the major difference this time round is the use of a BadMonkey instead of my boss pedal. The BadMonkey's two tone controls worked wonders for me. Its not a huge volume boost but the tone is differnt from my rythym sound, with major sustain and glorious singing tones. It definitely stands out, but I don't know the DB increase but its JUST enough.

• Members

Well, I own one of those pickup boosters. They're just a clean boost with a lot of volume and a few modes so that you can change the way your pickups are voiced (mimics humbuckers for single coil guitars).

Most guitars (especially with higher output humbuckers like your LP and Wolfgang) should put out close to the max volume that the input of your amp wants to see. If they don't, you can use a boost and hit the headroom of your preamp. At a certain point though, and it comes pretty quickly, you've hit that maximum headroom and you're not going to see any volume increase, it'll just get more distorted and compressed.

If an SD-1 doesn't make a noticable volume difference, then you were probably at or close to that headroom. Doesn't matter what kind of boost you use, nothing can do it.

So yeah, your best bet is to go in between the preamp and the poweramp to boost, which of course will make a huge difference.

Fwiw, I use my MXR overdrive (which is similar to an SD-1) only if I need a bit more 'aggression', mostly for feedback. It doesn't seem to boost my overall volume when going into my JCM800 at all. And I set it volume-10, gain-3, tone-6.

• Members

Originally posted by Alanfc

I've gone through this alot too

I started with nicely overdriven rythym sound and boost up front, but no volume change since the pre tubes just distort more,

then went to boost pedal and EQ pedal at different times, in the FX loop. Plenty of volume boost but dry small bad sound. Loss of sustain, depressing.

My final solution is to sacrifice and bring down the gain on the rythym sound, and put the boost back upfront. I've gotten used to less gain...anyway the major difference this time round is the use of a BadMonkey instead of my boss pedal. The BadMonkey's two tone controls worked wonders for me. Its not a huge volume boost but the tone is differnt from my rythym sound, with major sustain and glorious singing tones. It definitely stands out, but I don't know the DB increase but its JUST enough.

a clean volume boost in the loop (not a distortion or overdrive) should be just that, a volume boost that has minimal effects on your tone.

if you set a graphic EQ with every slider up a bit or everything at +/-0dB and the volume up, that shouldn't change your tone (very much at least, might be a bit noticable just because the unit itself might not sound all that great). It should be a usable volume boost though, equivalent to turning up the master volume.

I've done this with my Boss GE-7 in the loop, it works great but the unit has a kind of sterile tonal quality to it that can't be dialed out. It's not 'that' noticable, but it's there.

• Members

Originally posted by Duke of Metal

MXR Microamp. Very clean and transparent booster and has alot of boost if needed.

I've seen them sell for $50 - $60 range used.

I own one and I am thinking of getting a 2nd one my self to keep as a back.

Hope that helps!

The other guitarist in my band uses one of these, they seem really good. I have yet to use it with my rig though.

As said above though, it's not going to give you a volume boost where an SD-1 failed. It's just going to be tonally different (and possibly superior).

• Members

I had a Classic 50 for several years... When I was selling it and demoed it to a friend, I used my then new Roccaforte Bastard pedal and was impressed. I love this freaking Rocca Bastard boost. It even makes my 80's Fender sidekick practice amp sound so much better.

• Members

Originally posted by danbronson

Well, I own one of those pickup boosters. They're just a clean boost with a lot of volume and a few modes so that you can change the way your pickups are voiced (mimics humbuckers for single coil guitars).

Most guitars (especially with higher output humbuckers like your LP and Wolfgang) should put out close to the max volume that the input of your amp wants to see. If they don't, you can use a boost and hit the headroom of your preamp. At a certain point though, and it comes pretty quickly, you've hit that maximum headroom and you're not going to see any volume increase, it'll just get more distorted and compressed.

If an SD-1 doesn't make a noticable volume difference, then you were probably at or close to that headroom. Doesn't matter what kind of boost you use, nothing can do it.

So yeah, your best bet is to go in between the preamp and the poweramp to boost, which of course will make a huge difference.

Fwiw, I use my MXR overdrive (which is similar to an SD-1) only if I need a bit more 'aggression', mostly for feedback. It doesn't seem to boost my overall volume when going into my JCM800 at all. And I set it volume-10, gain-3, tone-6.

Actually my Les Paul has pretty low output pickups... I think that's where the issue lies to some extent. The Wolfgang stands on it's own for all the different tones using the volume control (slight OD, crunchy rhythm and great lead) but the LP just doesn't have enough oomph in the pickups for a lead tone. Although I'd never change out the Gibson's pickups since their tone is so sweet!

• Members

Originally posted by RAR

I had a Classic 50 for several years... When I was selling it and demoed it to a friend, I used my then new Roccaforte Bastard pedal and was impressed. I love this freaking Rocca Bastard boost. It even makes my 80's Fender sidekick practice amp sound so much better.

Is that the one that's just a boost... one switch, no controls, you get what you get?

• Members

As some have correctly stated,if you are running a fairly hot preamp tone,your boost has to come AFTER the preamp. Of course,you can use an EQ pedal with a little low end rolled off to gain some headroom and the the mids and upper mids boosted substantially to get a little volume increase and a bit more "cut".

• Members
Originally posted by cvogue

I need a lead boost for my Classic 50 head (no effects loop). Tried my Boss SD-1 but going into a saturated preamp you get almost no volume increase with that.

My Peavey Wolfgang worked well using the volume control as a lead boost (rhythm volume on 5-6, lead on 10) but my Les Paul I always have the volume dimed pretty much or I lose too much tone.

So I'm thinking a pickup booster a'la what Seymour Duncan has in a pedal might be the ticket, whatchya think?

Or I could look into getting a loop installed... hmmm

EQ pedal.

End of thread.:thu:

Archived